PDA

View Full Version : Which broadband?

zahmad
01-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Sorry if this is a bit annoying.......i could have searched the forums, but they may be outdared suggestions, so....which isp should I go with for the 1GB plan?.....I probably will go with xtra $39.95..any other suggestions....how is the whoosh broadband plans?

All comments appreciated!

johnd
01-01-2007, 01:42 PM
I am currently with Xnet (World Exchange) where I get 2Gbytes for $29.00 with throttle back (there is a sliding scale to choose your own cap). It is almost impossible not to beat Xtra's attempt at providing us with "cheap" internet!! BTW - Xnet does not force you onto their toll scheme at this price like a lot of other ISPs do.

trinsic
01-01-2007, 02:05 PM
I would say Xnet for reliability and price. For $34 you get FS/128k and 1GB.

beeswax34
01-01-2007, 04:48 PM
I've been with Woosh for over a year now and while there were a few problems to begin with due to all the new technology, they service is quite good and I find that the plans are quite reasonable as well. Not as fast as land-line based broadband but not bad either

Billy T
01-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Don't all the ISPs' DSL plans ultimately terminate in Telecom's network anyway, and use Telecom's lines to deliver it (apart from Woosh)?

Seems to me that any variation in performance between different ISPs would be minimal, and would probably depend as much as anything else on the overheads they add to the process. It's like buying electricity from an alternative supplier, they may have price variations, but they all use the same source and lines, so when the supply goes down, they all go down.

I'd be interested in any factual information to the contrary.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

zahmad
01-01-2007, 07:43 PM
So, I have heard so far recommendations on Xnet, as an alternative "Xtra-and co".....anyone else?

trinsic
01-01-2007, 07:53 PM
I'd be interested in any factual information to the contrary.

Well Xnet are cheaper, nicer to talk to, give you the option to choose your own plan and also have uncapped plans. And they allow interleaving to be turned off.

Xtra don't :angry

CYaBro
01-01-2007, 07:57 PM
Xtra seem to be the ISP who have the most problems, mainly with their email servers, most likely because they have the most customers.
Xtra & ihug seem to have the worst helpdesks in terms of how long you have to wait on hold until you get to talk to someone.
I'm with Xnet at home and very happy with the service. They always answer the phone straight away and any changes I have made to my broadband plan happen within a day or two. Unlike some other ISPs where the change won't happen until your next billing cycle.
We use iHug at work (have done for about 10 years now) and have been very happy with their service as well.

Hhel
01-01-2007, 09:33 PM
:) Happy New Year to all.

I pay 5 cents more per month for Inspire than I would with Xtra for the 256/128 service. But for that I get 1 gB instead of 200 mB (I think). I know it is basically a Telecom service that is onsold by Inspire but I am well pleased with them. However, to be fair, I had to buy an ADSL router myself - Xtra give theirs away. The full wiring charge because of a monitored alarm was $149 - the same as Xtra.

Jim

Nomad
01-01-2007, 09:39 PM
One thing I like about Xnet is that there are no terms, ie., no 12 month contracts. You can sign today and if you don't like you can cancel after one month with no financial penalty. There is also no connection charge despite the easy terms.

They don't make you switch over your toll dialling to them before you get the $10 discount. Many of the others if you do not, they bill you $10 more for BB.

You just need a modem and line filter(s) for each phone up to 5 phones, if more you may need a $150 wire service - other ISPs also charge this price as well.

May be unpopular seen by some, my thinking is you don't need a wireless router if you don't have computers to share with or if you are networking via cables. You don't even need a router. If you are alone w/ one computer why not a external modem with a Ethernet output.

I think the speeds are generally similar with the ISPs IMO but little issues like interleaving - I may look that up myself. You won't get a big jump in performance switching to a diff ISP.

Xnet has a neat usage tool bar for Firefox on the bottom right corner so its always there, no need to sign in to check usage each time etc..... I also like them b/c its not like pay for 1GB and if you use 800MB you lose out. Xnet charges you a 2 part charge. Such as $34 for fs/128k for the plan and then the usage of MB or GBs. 1GB approx $1 for them, 1MB about $0.001.

So if say you order 1GB for a FS/128 that is $1 + $34 = $35.
If you used 800MB they won't bill you all the $35.
If you use 2GB it is still $35 but after 1GB its slowed down speed.
At anytime even within the month, you can purchase more, let's say you wanna download a game demo you really like or Vista RC, you can say buy 2GB more for say $2. Just bear in mind if you spent sometime using slow down internet for 30MB already that is also counted for this increase.

If you are careful you can also have a open plan, that is $0.001 per MB on top of your plan but if you blow it out, your bill will blow out :D I have a FS/128k 16GB for $49.95 but I am thinking of dropping this back to 10GB as I am not a heavy user.

For my friends I tend to advise them. If they can get Telstra Cable Internet get that b/c you won't be on the ADSL network. Having a phone is optional and you can even get a VOIP such as from Xnet (Slingshot VOIP don't have free local dialling - to my knowledge). VOIP by a NZ ISP will provide you a local phone number with area code as well etc.... With the law in April 07 you can even cancel your Telecom line and just have VOIP for $11. B/c on Telstra Cable Internet a phoneline is optional (even a Telstra phoneline). Telstra phonline is also $10 less than Telecom's landline.

I am not sure about Woosh wireless but if you can get it, may be worth doing some research b/c if you are not a demanding user (from your 1GB) it may be fine for you and the phoneline can be optional, that is assuming wireless BB can be ok with VOIP by Xnet or say by Skype.

If VOIP you don't even need that $13-20 per each line filter :p

johnd
01-01-2007, 09:50 PM
However, to be fair, I had to buy an ADSL router myself - Xtra give theirs away.
Jim
I always maintain that the cost of a ADSL router/modem is a very small part of the total deal of several years service you usually get out of a ISP - don't let it sway your opinion!!

Nomad
01-01-2007, 09:55 PM
Reword, In April 2007, if its optional for you to have a landline such as if you have Telstra cable or Woosh wireless, you can cancal that phone line and keep the number when you go on VOIP. You can also cancel Telecom and go to Telstra Phone and keep the phone number, the same applies to cellphone but don't take my word for it, but I doubt it for cellular.

If you are on ADSL the phoneline will still be compulsory even if you don't use it but it may be changing however slowly.

bob_doe_nz
01-01-2007, 10:39 PM
If you are on ADSL the phoneline will still be compulsory even if you don't use it but it may be changing however slowly.

Not in the near future it won't.:groan:

zahmad
02-01-2007, 03:06 PM
So it seems like Xnet is a provider that I should be seriously considering ;)!

Rohbot
02-01-2007, 03:27 PM
Yes I just looked at xNets plans, and they look great!
Also note this feature: free dial up when you are not @ home (yes dialup is crappy but it could come in handy...) :)

Nomad
02-01-2007, 03:47 PM
Ah .. yes you get a dialup account as well when BB is down.
10MB for web space and 100MB for email.
I just dropped mine to 6GB as I don't use much. Last week I did 1.4GB which 1GB was demo's :D 6GB for FS/128k puts me to $39.95 which if I don't use 6GB they won't even bill me all that $39.95.

When you connect let's say you had 3 weeks of January. If you are on a River Plan FS/128k that is $33.95 (I think) they will charge you 3/4 of that and then the GB or MB you use. If you use 1GB exact, the bill be around 75% of $33.95 and the 1GB which is around $1.

I just joined Xnet last week, had it for like 10 days. :)

Rohbot
02-01-2007, 05:34 PM
Wow i think im gonna switch now :D

Rock
02-01-2007, 09:38 PM
Whats the web address for these guys?

johnd
02-01-2007, 09:45 PM
http://www.xnet.co.nz/

Rock
02-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Ta, Having a look now :D

bob_doe_nz
02-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Their service is great, though for some reason, it's always the same guy that handles the email queries...

zahmad
03-01-2007, 01:16 PM
Xnet it is then !

Princess
17-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Hi there,

Just did a search on PressF1 to search for the best broadband/ISP and came across this thread.

I currently have dial-up at home on my laptop, which is work related. I also use this access to the net for personal use, but would like to get my own account and broadband.

Did a search on consumer.org which surveys indicate Inspire.net as a popular ISP. I see here that xnet is proving to be a better option.

Not sure if xnet is available only in certain areas, or Inspire for that matter?

My mother-in-law has Xtra broadband (faired poorly in consumer.org survey results) - which I think is via ASDL (she can use the phone at the same time etc...) We live in the same area - so guessing I would end up ASDL too.

Not quite up to the play with the broadband guff, but definitely want something quicker than dull-ole' dial-up.

Wondering if anyone has anything further to this thread and possibly my query. Would've posted a new post, but see some get abit testy with repeat queries. :eek:

Thanks all :p

stu161204
17-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Did a search on consumer.org which surveys indicate Inspire.net as a popular ISP. I see here that xnet is proving to be a better option.

Not sure if xnet is available only in certain areas, or Inspire for that matter?

You should be able to get Inspire & or xnet in your area, if broadband is in your area

For Xnet you can check your line here: http://www.xnet.co.nz/hsi/linecheck.shtml

For Inspire they donít have a line checker but if you use Xnet one I would guess you can get inspire as well, here is there website: http://www.inspire.net.nz/

Hope this helps :)

Nomad
17-01-2007, 09:53 PM
Xnet, Inspire, Xtra is just a ISP that works via the phone lines. That's all. So if you have a telephone you can get dialup with any ISP. If your location supports ADSL then you can get it from Xtra, Xnet, Inspire or any of the other ISPs.

If you are wanting Telstra cable internet that is not available in all areas unless they have cables laid out in your area, ditto for Woosh wireless and others. Since they use their own infrastructure and not Telecom's.

JJJJJ
18-01-2007, 05:20 AM
Just been reading Inspire's sign up page.

What the difference between Bitstream and Jetstream?

stu161204
18-01-2007, 10:47 AM
What the difference between Bitstream and Jetstream?

Do a search of the Computerworld/ PC World website Ė hopefully these link will work: http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/srch/28A2BC348E058C95CC2572660075BE00?Opendocument&x=pg1 & http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/srch/E6194A92B4DEB0C6CC25726600779863?Opendocument&x=pg1 & you should be able to find all about it.

Thomas01
18-01-2007, 11:51 AM
I have been following this thread with interest as I am considering a change to Broadband. I am with Slingshot at the moment for Dial up which frankly I find more than adequate - but being like most modern (idiot!) souls want to go faster. So far I have only considered Slingshot which seems to have an attractive financial offer. But no reports about Slingshot on this thread. I would welcome some comments ref Slingshot and some convincing arguments why I should go Broadband - being retired and doing no commercial work on the computer it's a tricky situation.
Tom

winmacguy
18-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Why go broadband? because you can download stuff that you wouldn't normally consider like system updates and free be software to try out much faster. It is less of a hassel getting images of grandchildren sent to you when your children live overseas. You can also use stuff like Skype for much cheaper phone calls. My parents just upgraded to broadband. Prior to that they were on dial up and found it to be "sufficient" for ther meagre needs, then they discovered broadband....;) they are both long time retired and active people with lots of interests that dont involve computers.

Master_Frost
18-01-2007, 12:49 PM
It should be pointed out in a thread like this, if you live in Christchurch or Wellington you may be in the Telstra Cable coverage area.

You would be insane to be in the Coverage area and not have a close look at cable, as it is 500%+ more reliable than DSL in NZ, prices are not half bad these days either.

winmacguy
18-01-2007, 01:15 PM
Just wish that Aucklanders could get the great deals that some Christchurch and Kapiti residents get.

JJJJJ
18-01-2007, 04:06 PM
Just wish that Aucklanders could get the great deals that some Christchurch and Kapiti residents get.

Sems like ****'s want everything.

JJJJJ
18-01-2007, 04:09 PM
Sems like ****'s want everything.

I Said ****'S NOT *****'S

winmacguy
18-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Might be because the bulk of the countries population lives in Auckland.

bob_doe_nz
18-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Might be because the bulk of the countries population lives in Auckland.

But it is cheaper to trial it first in smaller areas

Laura
18-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Why go broadband? because you can download stuff that you wouldn't normally consider like system updates and free be software to try out much faster. It is less of a hassel getting images of grandchildren sent to you when your children live overseas. You can also use stuff like Skype for much cheaper phone calls. My parents just upgraded to broadband. Prior to that they were on dial up and found it to be "sufficient" for ther meagre needs, then they discovered broadband....;) they are both long time retired and active people with lots of interests that dont involve computers.

Thomas, this post - comprehensive though it is - doesn't mention the BB feature that most tempts me away from the Dialup I'm using.

That's the ability to use my telephone at the same time as my computer.
My friends regularly complain about their frustration with my "constantly engaged" phone line.
It could be BB's best selling point for people like me.

winmacguy
18-01-2007, 06:23 PM
Sorry I forgot about the most obvious point of any broadband service.

zahmad
18-01-2007, 07:15 PM
It seems like my thread has become a battle ground ;)

winmacguy
18-01-2007, 07:28 PM
Just as well we are not talking about provincial rugby then ;)