PDA

View Full Version : Delete Windoz

kjaada
01-01-2007, 12:35 PM
I have XP on one HDD and on another have Xandros 4.0 and Ubuntu 6.10.
At present the MBR is on the same drive as XP but I am going to delete XP and would like the MBR on the same drive as the linux OS's.
If I delete Xp then restore Xandros will lilo present the option for me to put the MBR on the linux disk and if so what do I answer when questioned about the new setup.I mean at present I put in 1 then have questions which require yes or no answers.And I have made mistakes with the Y or N in the past.

Jen
03-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Can you be more specific about what questions you are referring to? Unless someone has installed Xandros recently, no one knows what those questions are.

Chilling_Silence
04-01-2007, 04:35 AM
Basically:
Wipe your XP disc
Boot off the Xandros InstallCD and use it to re-install Lilo. You can install it anywhere you like, although it may not even be affected by the formatting of drive XYZ

kjaada
04-01-2007, 06:16 AM
Jen,The questions I was refering too were the ones that come up in lilo refering to "do you wish to restore Os on XXXX HDD" and so on but I think Chills has answered my Question any way.My puter will not start at all today
so I will find out if he is right when I change my HDD to another box.
Thanks anyway to everyone.

Hhel
04-01-2007, 08:01 PM
:) kjaada,
First up, Happy New Year.

I have thought about your problem for a while and, my suggestion would be to leave everything as far as your current Xandros and Ubuntu partitions alone. Then, if you have a copy of Xandros 3.02 OCE or 3.0, install that into the partition where XP currently is. It should pick up the existence of Xandros 4 on the other drive and put that into the LILO on the MBR where Xandros 3 is installed. You might never actually boot X3 but it would be a quick way of fixing the problem.

I am not sure about Ubuntu though. Does it use GRUB or LILO? My experience of mixing GRUB for Mepis and Lilo for Xandros was not satisfactory. I know you had trouble with the same Mepis disk too.

If you get Xandros 3 to fix up the LILO, you could then go into Control Center > System > Boot Manager and, after entering your Admin password, choose Xandros 4.0 as your default Operating System.

You know that I triple boot three versions of Xandros on my machine - Xandros 3.0 Deluxe on /hda1; 3.02 OCE on /hda3 and 4.0 Home Premium Trial on /hda4. XP has been gone for about 18 months.

Jim