PDA

View Full Version : Internet Security - downloads

tinakarori
31-12-2006, 03:44 PM
In a moment of brain fade, I installed IE7 on my home PC just before Christmas. I then re-set the Security settings as recommended in an article by Brian Livingston on the Office for Mere Mortals e-newsletter. The immediate effect was that I could no longer access many of my favourite websites devoted to harmless subjects such as Excel, booksearch sites, and 4WD vehicles.

Not knowing what else to do, I deleted IE7 and reverted to IE6, but this didn't help much. I then printed off all the IE security settings on my wife's PC, which hadn't been changed and worked fine, and replicated them on my own PC. This seemed to fix the problems, and I regained access to my Favourites.

However, today when I tried to download the SyncToy file management utility from Microsoft.com the download would not proceed and I got the following Security Alert message:

Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded

Can anyone help me by suggesting a) which IE setting/s may be preventing downloads, and b) explaining how to fix the problem (simple words and short sentences, please!).

Shortcircuit
31-12-2006, 04:32 PM
Open IE, click on tools> internet options then click on security tab then click on 'trusted sites' in the window then click on 'default level' button at bottom which will show a pop-up window with a slider. The slider should be set to 'low' (allows most sites to download) or you can click on the 'sites' button and add the address of the Microsoft site you are trying to download from.

Don't forget to click the 'accept' button then 'ok' button.

tinakarori
01-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the advice Shortcircuit. Have done all that, rebooted the PC, and tried to download SyncToy again.

Exactly the same thing happened as before, ie the Security Alert message and no download.

Any further suggestions, anyone?

Shortcircuit
01-01-2007, 12:33 PM
Try having a read in the M/soft stuff here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/using/howto/security/setup.mspx

On the forums I searched someone suggested:

Changing all security settings back to default

reinstalling IE7 as well.

Other than that I'm stumped

R2x1
01-01-2007, 12:45 PM
If you use MS products, you should have the courtesy to respect their judgment on what is safely accessed and what is not. Your EULA probably require you to buy a new version of everything instead of trying to download their free stuff. Edicts from Mond Red must be obeyed instantly by the peons without question.
The Empire needs your money NOW.

Shortcircuit
01-01-2007, 01:02 PM
If you use MS products, you should have the courtesy to respect their judgment on what is safely accessed and what is not. Your EULA probably require you to buy a new version of everything instead of trying to download their free stuff. Edicts from Mond Red must be obeyed instantly by the peons without question.
The Empire needs your money NOW.

Someone's gotta say it... Ehhhh? :confused:

R2x1
01-01-2007, 01:14 PM
Someone's gotta say it... Ehhhh? :confused:
Oops. Forgot to add ;) :waughh: :groan:.
Just being facetious.