PDA

View Full Version : My pictures?

Cicero
31-12-2006, 01:25 PM
I have done something,I know not what,but....My pictures in Start does not = my pictures in my documents?
To explain a bit......If I open from start,my pic,then there are all my pics,Now,fo some reason I don't have any pics in my pic ex my document.
Further...If I want to send pic via O/E,when I click on attach,it opens at doc my pics and nothing there!.

Jen
31-12-2006, 01:28 PM
What is the file path for the picture folder that does have the images in it?

Cicero
31-12-2006, 01:41 PM
Did I not say?
Start ...My Pictures and there are pics!

FoxyMX
31-12-2006, 01:48 PM
That is not your "file path". Right-click on the Start > My Pics, choose Properties and tell us what it says for "Location".

Next, go to the folder that does not have any pics and do the same (right-click, etc).

Jen
31-12-2006, 01:53 PM
That is not a file path. A file path is the path starting from the root directory that takes you to that folder. Eg C:\Settings and Documents\<your username>\My Documents\My Pictures\

Does the folder with the pictures and the folder without the pictures have the exact same file path displayed in Windows Explorer? You can configure Windows Explorer to display the file path by going Tools > Folder Options > View Tab. Check "Display the full path in the title bar". Click OK.

Post back with both the file paths.

Edit: Didn't refresh my page, I see FoxyMX and I are on the same pathway! :p

Cicero
31-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Sorry about mistake there.
1. C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\
2. as above.

Shortcircuit
31-12-2006, 02:00 PM
If you look in My Computer>local disc C>documents and settings you might find that you have two lots of 'my docs' folders and 'My Pics' folders.

Something like Me docs and Metoo docs. One is the 'default' setup when 1st configuring windows... the 'Me' being a bit like the Admin account, whereas the 'Metoo' could be another profile that you've set up as a user.

FoxyMX
31-12-2006, 02:08 PM
Actually Cic, I don't know whether you have read this before or not but it has been posted here a few times: it is a good idea to create your own Documents folder on the C: drive rather than use the Windows My Documents because if your profile gets corrupted you will lose the lot. Your data will be safe in a custom folder on the C: drive (or other partition), however.

Ask Godfather if you don't believe me. ;)

Oh, and you can make shortcuts to custom folders too.

Cicero
31-12-2006, 02:13 PM
That is not a file path. A file path is the path starting from the root directory that takes you to that folder. Eg C:\Settings and Documents\<your username>\My Documents\My Pictures\

Does the folder with the pictures and the folder without the pictures have the exact same file path displayed in Windows Explorer? You can configure Windows Explorer to display the file path by going Tools > Folder Options > View Tab. Check "Display the full path in the title bar". Click OK.

Post back with both the file paths.

Edit: Didn't refresh my page, I see FoxyMX and I are on the same pathway! :p
Ticked Display path in title bar as you said,no diff.
Is th file path same as I have posted?

Cicero
31-12-2006, 02:23 PM
Actually Cic, I don't know whether you have read this before or not but it has been posted here a few times: it is a good idea to create your own Documents folder on the C: drive rather than use the Windows My Documents because if your profile gets corrupted you will lose the lot. Your data will be safe in a custom folder on the C: drive (or other partition), however.

Ask Godfather if you don't believe me. ;)

Oh, and you can make shortcuts to custom folders too.
I think G-F is resting at his batch,or racing round in his MX5.
Note taken Fox,will look into above.

Scouse
31-12-2006, 02:25 PM
Hi C. My first move would be to identify where the pics are mislaid or are hiding. Do a wee search via Start > Search for one of your known folders which you had stored within the original My Pictures. Call back when you have identified its present location and we can create a suitable main folder as suggested by Foxy and drag all of the newly found files across to it. Generally, unless you have specifically deleted them, they will be around somewhere.

Cicero
31-12-2006, 02:46 PM
I know where my pics are S.in start ..my pics.,just that the my pics from start and my pics from my docs,used to be one and the same,but not any more.

Scouse
31-12-2006, 02:55 PM
Hi C. No offence old friend but your pics are not in Start > My Pics. That is just a shorcut to the Folder where they reside. You need to establish the true folder's identity as suggested earlier by Jen - when she advised of the need to find the Folder's path.... Once you identify that, you can then view the present location using Windows Explorer and drag any wayward Folders and or Sub-Folders to where-ever you wish them to reside.

Shortcircuit
31-12-2006, 03:14 PM
And Cicero, as I tried to explain in my half-arsed way... it is likely that you actually have two 'My Pictures' folders and just don't know it.

Do the following:

click on 'My computer' then 'Local disc C' then 'Documents and settings'

This will bring you to a window that shows icons for different users, for instance my window shows an 'all users' and a 'me' icon.

If you click up the top of the window on the 'folders' button it will change the view in the left pane to an explorer view showing a list view of all the items/folders on disc.

You will be able to see 'documents and settings' and if you double click on it in the left pane it will expand to show another list with 'my documents' etc... but- there is another 'my documents' entry further down below 'local service' (mine shows as 'ME' docs) and if you double click to expand it you will find another set including 'my pictures'.

I suggest that you click around in the explorer pane to expand things until you get the hang of it. You can't do any damage so long as you don't try to move/delete any folders and if you want to collapse the list just select a folder in the list, right click and select 'collapse'.

When you get the hang of it and find the different 'My pictures' folders with and without your photos in them, as Scouse said you can drag your photos to the correct folder (I would copy them over in the first instance if you're unsure even though it means you will have double lots of photos on disc, you can always delete one lot later)

Easy eh :D... whew

Shortcircuit
31-12-2006, 03:29 PM
Cicero, try this...

Go into your start menu like Jen said, instead of clicking on properties in the menu from 'my pictures' icon, click on 'explore' in the drop-down menu. It will bring the 'Start menu' pictures folder up in a new window and the correct path to the file will be in the address pane at the top ie: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Pictures
(Following Jen's instructions will not show the whole file path!!)

Go to your other 'My Pictures' folder from My computer/My documents and look at the file path in the address pane and they should be different.

If you write the two different addresses down you should be able to find them both in explorer and move your photos around.

FoxyMX
31-12-2006, 04:36 PM
Do a search for My Pictures and see what comes up...

FoxyMX
31-12-2006, 04:38 PM
Go into your start menu like FoxyMX said, instead of clicking on properties in the menu from 'my pictures' icon, click on 'explore' in the drop-down menu. It will bring the 'Start menu' pictures folder up in a new window and the correct path to the file will be in the address pane at the top ie: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Pictures
(Following FoxyMX's instructions will not show the whole file path!!)

Ah, that's the one I should have said - Explore, not Properties. :rolleyes:

Shortcircuit
31-12-2006, 05:02 PM
Ah, that's the one I should have said - Explore, not Properties. :rolleyes:

Sorry Jen, I should have blamed Foxy LOL :p

Cicero
01-01-2007, 07:13 PM
Thanks all,I think I have sorted.
I now have pics in my docs...my pics,but none in start my pics.
What is meant by a card I recieved at Chrismas that said..........
I used to be an atheist until I realised I WAS God.
signed Mrs Ciccy.

Terry Porritt
01-01-2007, 07:24 PM
You mean 'er indoors, who must be obeyed, and is always right no matter?

Shortcircuit
01-01-2007, 07:30 PM
Thanks all,I think I have sorted.
I now have pics in my docs...my pics,but none in start my pics.
What is meant by a card I recieved at Chrismas that said..........
I used to be an atheist until I realised I WAS God.
signed Mrs Ciccy.

That's the one... on all counts :D

Now just sort out where you want my pics

Give God a clip round the ears for being intransigent and obstinent

And praise Mrs Ciccy warmly for showing you the light

Cicero
02-01-2007, 09:32 AM
I can't believe that the SWMBO syndrome is so prevalent on this forum,we all knew about B T,but Terr too..........even Shorty.......

Shortcircuit
02-01-2007, 10:40 AM
I can't believe that the SWMBO syndrome is so prevalent on this forum,we all knew about B T,but Terr too..........even Shorty.......

No, I just 'defer to a higher power' and if that doesn't work I pray to god for forgiveness :waughh:

Terry Porritt
02-01-2007, 01:20 PM

It's as it says in the well known tune, Here Comes My Ball and Chain (http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/coon/HereComes.ram)

{Coon-Sanders Nighthawks Orchestra 1928}

Cicero
02-01-2007, 06:47 PM
It's as it says in the well known tune, Here Comes My Ball and Chain (http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/coon/HereComes.ram)

{Coon-Sanders Nighthawks Orchestra 1928}

Is the Coon any relation to Charly Coons?
Used to like his piano,though he may be a bit b4 your time.

Terry Porritt
02-01-2007, 06:59 PM
Is the Coon any relation to Charly Coons?
Used to like his piano,though he may be a bit b4 your time.

I think you mean Charlie Kunz, he goes back to the 1920s, but was also popular on BBC radio in the 50s.

http://www.brent-heritage.co.uk/charlie_kunz.htm

http://home.wxs.nl/~bulteman/home.htm click on the keyboard to get into the site.

His danceband recordings from the 20s and 30s are quite hot.

Cicero
03-01-2007, 09:57 AM
I think you mean Charlie Kunz, he goes back to the 1920s, but was also popular on BBC radio in the 50s.

http://www.brent-heritage.co.uk/charlie_kunz.htm

http://home.wxs.nl/~bulteman/home.htm click on the keyboard to get into the site.

His danceband recordings from the 20s and 30s are quite hot.

Ah so thats how you spell Kunz,loved his stye,then there was Winifres Atwell,you wouldn't remember her.

Billy T
03-01-2007, 03:33 PM
then there was Winifres Atwell,you wouldn't remember her.
I do wish you wouldn't post so damned carelessly Ciccy! Not only do I remember Winifred Atwell, but I can also recall what she looked like (past tense, assuming that she has long since shuffled of this mortal coil).

If you insist on forcing me to recognise the passing of the years, I shall have to adopt a more grumpy persona, for which I shall approach JJJJJ for private lessons (and some tips for FS as well).

Please leave me my illusions of youth. It is bad enough that my kids refer to me as the old fart (or baldy, when they are feeling affectionate or need money) without being assailed on all sides by ageism when I seek comfort in the refuge that used to be PF1.

I'd be much happier if I could go and open a bottle of Glenfiddich................

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :waughh:

the godfather
03-01-2007, 05:56 PM
I think G-F is resting at his batch,or racing round in his MX5.
Note taken Fox,will look into above.

Not "resting" at all, have been working overseas and then came back only to find I am locked out of the forum!

Hence new name until Bruce comes back and forgives me or fixes it.

Perhaps it was something I said...?

Cicero
03-01-2007, 07:15 PM
I do wish you wouldn't post so damned carelessly Ciccy! Not only do I remember Winifred Atwell, but I can also recall what she looked like (past tense, assuming that she has long since shuffled of this mortal coil).

If you insist on forcing me to recognise the passing of the years, I shall have to adopt a more grumpy persona, for which I shall approach JJJJJ for private lessons (and some tips for FS as well).

Please leave me my illusions of youth. It is bad enough that my kids refer to me as the old fart (or baldy, when they are feeling affectionate or need money) without being assailed on all sides by ageism when I seek comfort in the refuge that used to be PF1.

I'd be much happier if I could go and open a bottle of Glenfiddich................

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :waughh:
I see old Winny died in 1983.
Would JJJJ have any room in his classes?I believe he is in much demand,certainly a master at the art.
Seems you have reached a point where the drink and a denial of reality is causing some pain,especially with Mrs T not sympathising,the time has come for you to tighten your braces and move on.
Poor old G_F thinks going to the north island is going abroad.
Never heard of people being locked out,what is that all about B?

the godfather
03-01-2007, 08:01 PM
Poor old G_F thinks going to the north island is going abroad.

T'was the city of Melbourne actually, so the "West Island" to be precise.

37C and smoky though....

Scouse
03-01-2007, 11:40 PM
How do we know that the godfather is the godfather?

Jen
04-01-2007, 06:17 AM
How do we know that the godfather is the godfather?He is. :)

The "godfather" account has a wee glitch which I unfortunately cannot fix. Just waiting for Bruce to sort it out.

the godfather
04-01-2007, 10:59 AM
Actually I thought I must have been banned for not spending enough on Jen's Xmas present....

beetle
04-01-2007, 11:38 AM
Oh.................. grumble grumble........... what does one need to do to get a cristmas present???? :p
and anyway we know its goddie......cos he is still giving stick to the same people here on pf1......... :p ya cant change ya habits just cos ya changed ya name:D

beetle

Cicero
04-01-2007, 12:12 PM
Oh.................. grumble grumble........... what does one need to do to get a cristmas present???? :p
and anyway we know its goddie......cos he is still giving stick to the same people here on pf1......... :p ya cant change ya habits just cos ya changed ya name:D

beetle
As a matter of interest,do you talk to your students with all these cos and ya's?
Now that is something to grumble about!

beetle
04-01-2007, 01:04 PM
sigh.................I am on holiday Thomas........ :p

and the age of the children I work with are 0 - 5 year olds...... No wonder i talk a lot of gibberish then isnt it.

beetle:waughh:

Cicero
04-01-2007, 02:27 PM
sigh.................I am on holiday Thomas........ :p

and the age of the children I work with are 0 - 5 year olds...... No wonder i talk a lot of gibberish then isnt it.

beetle:waughh:

Ah,sorry Beet didn't realise you were on hol's.

Alaways fancied teaching that age group,the finer points of batteries and the like.

the godfather
04-01-2007, 03:05 PM
Alaways fancied teaching that age group,the finer points of batteries and the like.

Oh God no.

Cicero
04-01-2007, 03:18 PM
Oh God no.

Oh my God yes,want them to see the light early,plus it's hard to find a group that one can show off ones knowledge.

the godfather
04-01-2007, 03:45 PM
it's hard to find a group that one can show off ones knowledge.

But by lunchtime on the first day you would have taught them everything you know.

What would you do for the rest of the year I wonder...

Cicero
04-01-2007, 04:01 PM
But by lunchtime on the first day you would have taught them everything you know.

What would you do for the rest of the year I wonder...

Wonder no more,at that age they don't know that one will go the rest of the year on a wing and a prayer.

John H
04-01-2007, 04:02 PM
(snip)then there was Winifred Atwell,you wouldn't remember her.

Seeing you come from Swannanoa Cicero, you MAY be interested to know that Winifred Atwell came to Rangiora when I was a lad, and gave a free concert for the huddled masses of North Canterbury. She played her piano on the back of a truck in the middle of High Street so everyone could see her (not in the theatre). I think she was sponsored by ?Norm Gibson? who ran a shop on High Street at the time.

The crowd seemed huge to me, and it started to sway, nearly getting out of control. I thought we were all going to fall over in a mass, and young kids like me would end up being crushed or suffocated - I have never forgotten the fear of that occasion, as well as Winnie's smile and music of course. And how exotic it was to have a real live black person in white Rangiora...

Cicero
04-01-2007, 04:46 PM
Seeing you come from Swannanoa Cicero, you MAY be interested to know that Winifred Atwell came to Rangiora when I was a lad, and gave a free concert for the huddled masses of North Canterbury. She played her piano on the back of a truck in the middle of High Street so everyone could see her (not in the theatre). I think she was sponsored by ?Norm Gibson? who ran a shop on High Street at the time.

The crowd seemed huge to me, and it started to sway, nearly getting out of control. I thought we were all going to fall over in a mass, and young kids like me would end up being crushed or suffocated - I have never forgotten the fear of that occasion, as well as Winnie's smile and music of course. And how exotic it was to have a real live black person in white Rangiora...
One hopes your active imagination is now well under control.

John H
04-01-2007, 06:07 PM
One hopes your active imagination is now well under control.

Never achieved that actually, and I hope I never will... But it wasn't imagination about the crowd; it really did almost collectively "lose its feet" and was in danger of collapsing. :(

Cicero
04-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Never achieved that actually, and I hope I never will... But it wasn't imagination about the crowd; it really did almost collectively "lose its feet" and was in danger of collapsing. :(

The operative word here is almost,would seem your hope for an over active imagination has been granted.

John H
04-01-2007, 07:18 PM
The operative word here is almost,would seem your hope for an over active imagination has been granted.

Oh well, I guess you were there at the time, so you apparently know best Cicero.

Terry Porritt
04-01-2007, 07:49 PM
It is a little known fact that you can get the "honky tonk" piano sound by putting newspaper behind the piano strings.

Otherwise, old upright pianos that have been used in pubs, and have had the lid left open to get more sound, and into which generations of full beer glasses have fallen, also produce that characteristic sound.

R2x1
04-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Well, I wasn't there. Did she have her "other piano" or was it a different one?

Cicero
05-01-2007, 08:31 AM
Oh well, I guess you were there at the time, so you apparently know best Cicero.
Crying in ones soup is not permitted here!