PDA

View Full Version : JUST BUILT BRAND NEW COMPUTER - having problems booting up

jmac146
30-12-2006, 08:40 PM
I just ordered all the necessary parts for my new computer that I am building myself (i will say, it is my first FULL build). Everything went in great, felt good about it - turned it on, it showed the graphics card, showed the mother board, was able to enter the bios, saw that it had 2gb of ram, then - Computer shuts off.

happens every time after about 45 seconds. I can enter the bios, but dont have time to do anything in them before the computer just shuts off by itself.

It is a M2N32-SLI deluxe ASUS motherboard with a 550watt power supply. I havent done anything to it besides turn it on, so i dont know what the problem is. Maybe i have to reset somethign with the bios? i havent really done much with bios stuff so i guess i might need some help here, any tips would be appreciated, thanks

Justin

bk T
30-12-2006, 08:53 PM
Welcome to Press F1.

I would first check and make sure that the CPU fan is properly and securely connected.

johnd
30-12-2006, 08:53 PM
Have you got the CPU and the heat sink in good contact with some heat conducting material in between - my initial reaction to your post is that the CPU is overheating?

byte
30-12-2006, 09:40 PM
If you don't mind me asking, where did you order the hardware from?

The_End_Of_Reality
30-12-2006, 10:13 PM
As the others have said, check the CPU HSF, also tell us your other specs, brands, models etc cause that will help us derive the problem if the CPU is fine...

jmac146
31-12-2006, 05:38 AM
Hi, thanks for all the responses - i got all of my stuff from Tigerdirect.com brand new, so i know there shouldnt be any problems with the software (hopefully). I just called Asus, and i think i know the problem - i didnt put any thermal paste on (foolish). If that doesnt work, i will give more information. Thanks though

Greg
31-12-2006, 05:49 AM
Remember to go easy on the thermal paste... just the smallest smear will do. But also keep in mind that if you've got a thermal transfer pad on the cooler then you mustn't put any paste on at all.

jmac146
31-12-2006, 05:56 AM
HAH! i shouldnt even post this - I checked the manual for my processor, and it says that the heatsink COMES wiht thermal paste already applied - so I took off my heat sink to check for the problem.... the plastic case is still covering it...... I feel foolish, BUT, the computer works, problem solved haha, thanks guys. feel free to call me a noob for posting this.

The_End_Of_Reality
31-12-2006, 09:22 AM
N00B!!! :D :p

I am only teasing, I remember my first build, it is kinda a scary thing with all the damage you can do with static and all that... but luckily I had a friend who knew what he was doing watching me and directing me what to do...

Just put it down to experience :)

pctek
31-12-2006, 09:51 AM
i got all of my stuff from Tigerdirect.com brand new, so i know there shouldnt be any problems with the software (hopefully).

Er......how has where you bought the parts got anything to do with software? Software is written by 3rd parties - not the shop.
And what software....they would have sold you hardware that came with various driver CDs bundled with it. And probably your Windows CD.

Sometimes you need to download the latest drivers for your hardware from the manufacturers website rather than using the possibly out-dated ones provided on the CDs.

trinsic
31-12-2006, 06:04 PM
Er......how has where you bought the parts got anything to do with software? Software is written by 3rd parties - not the shop.
And what software....they would have sold you hardware that came with various driver CDs bundled with it.

I think he meant hardware :P

But leaving the plastic covering on is pretty dopey if I must say :thumbs:

Shortcircuit
31-12-2006, 06:57 PM
OK, just to make jmac feel better... everyone on here had a good laugh when broadband came out, me AND the IT guy from our work just could not get it going... router worked brilliantly, power on, lights on... but no-one home. After a few hours we figured out that we had not connected a little lead from the back of the router to the little hole in the wall... what's that?... a PHONE socket????.... naaaa, it works on a psychic connection :stare:

jmac146
31-12-2006, 07:05 PM
yeah, i think i meant hardware when i mentioned that the parts themselfs shouldnt be dead or anything. i still cant believe i could miss a large piece of plastic on the bottom of something like that. works great though, first computer is complete, whoot whoot. its harder when you are the only one in ur family that cares one lick about this stuff. and thanks for your story shortcircuit.

Shortcircuit
31-12-2006, 07:14 PM
No prob :D

Definitely a sense of satisfaction building your own box... switching on for the 1st time and no smoke is a real bonus.

Wouldn't buy a readymade if you paid me now :nerd:

pctek
31-12-2006, 09:18 PM
yeah, i think i meant hardware when i mentioned that the parts themselfs shouldnt be dead or anything. i still cant believe i could miss a large piece of plastic on the bottom of something like that. .

Snicker......you wouldn't be the first. I met someone else who did that. Well, I guess it is clear plastic........

Had a friend who built hers sitting on the nice carpeted floor too, ram and stuff laid out next to her.....static? Whats static?
And this was back in the days of the old AT PSUs, she plugged the connector into the board the wrong way round. Oh look, smoke......

And she managed to get a replacement board out of the shop too......gee this board doesn't seem to work for some unknown reason.......

The_End_Of_Reality
31-12-2006, 09:18 PM
its harder when you are the only one in ur family that cares one lick about this stuff. I know that feeling too...

Definitely a sense of satisfaction building your own box... switching on for the 1st time and no smoke is a real bonus.

Wouldn't buy a readymade if you paid me now :nerd: I definately agree, it is great building your own machine :D

As for ready made... I also agree