PDA

View Full Version : Win XP CD Key

bk T
30-12-2006, 07:53 PM
Just ran Belarc Advisor and found that the CD Key reported is different from the Microsoft Windows sticker on the underside of my laptop computer. I'm now confused, which is the correct key? Which key should I use if a fresh install of my OS is so needed?

Cheers

trinsic
30-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Is your laptop maybe second hand?

When I was reinstalling my OS I had changed hardware and I had to call Microsoft NZ to get a new cd key (had to give them half my old one). If you want to do a fresh install and the COA Sticker does not work call them up and they will give you another one for free.

bk T
30-12-2006, 08:16 PM
Is your laptop maybe second hand?

When I was reinstalling my OS I had changed hardware and I had to call Microsoft NZ to get a new cd key (had to give them half my old one). If you want to do a fresh install and the COA Sticker does not work call them up and they will give you another one for free.

No. It is brand new from the box.

trinsic
30-12-2006, 08:27 PM
No. It is brand new from the box.

Thats weird. Try download Windows Defender (http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx) and it will ask you to download a file to see if you have a legit cd key. If it goes ok then right down the cdkey for future installs.

yzhu
30-12-2006, 08:29 PM
Are you sure you didn't get the Product ID (PID) and Product Key mixed up?

A Product Key normally consists of five groups of five characters.
xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

Product ID's have the following structure
xxxxx-xxx-xxxxxxx-xxxxx

A Product ID is generated from the Product Key to identify your individual copy of Windows.

pheonix
30-12-2006, 08:33 PM
none of the above.

It is the number used by the manufacturer when they pre-load the thousands of
hard drives.

Using each individual key for each hard drive would be an logistics nightmare.

When you/if you reload, then use the key from your sticker.

bk T
30-12-2006, 08:50 PM
none of the above.

hard drives.

Thanks, Phoenix. I'm convinced that you are right. It makes sense, isn't it?

But how does Microsoft know the number from the sticker? I've activated the preloaded OS and if it is the same key for all the machines, I don't understand how MS sort this out? :confused:

pheonix
30-12-2006, 09:00 PM
I know that recently they changed the issued numbers allocated to the big manufacturers. This caused a bit of grief for their customers when their auto-updates came through, and failed their "Genuine advantage" test. It just required them to change the number using the one on their sticker.

Maybe thats the way they plan to control those Corp edition licenses.

bk T
30-12-2006, 09:15 PM
I know that recently they changed the issued numbers allocated to the big manufacturers. This caused a bit of grief for their customers when their auto-updates came through, and failed their "Genuine advantage" test. It just required them to change the number using the one on their sticker.

Maybe thats the way they plan to control those Corp edition licenses.

I activated and updated my OS several times already and passed the "Genuine Advantage" validation smoothly. Actually, just installed Defender this morning which requires validation as well. Still don't understand how the sticker's numbers under the laptop relates to MS validation. Physically, my laptop is currently using another set of keys registered with MS. Am I right to say that I can use the enclosed OS CD (and the sticker key number) for another machine?

pheonix
30-12-2006, 09:47 PM
Just means that you have the recently issued key and so passed the WGA test.

According to the EULA (End User License Agreement), you should only use that number with the computer the label is stuck on. Being an OEM version, when the computer dies, you can't load it on any other computer.

I believe the OEM number range is allocated to each major manufacturer , so they are aware of which manufacturer it was by the license number. So if by some freak chance MS did a check on your computer, they would know if it differs from the original manufacturer.
Also, the recovery disks which contain the Windows install are usually locked into that computer.

Anyway, in theory, you could load that stickers license onto another machine, if you had an OEM version of Windows, which is not tied to that specific computer.

Chilling_Silence
30-12-2006, 10:41 PM
Hows this for a story:
Im at a mates place, and Im on his box that I setup, so I know the key entered in was the one that I attached to the side of his machine. I chance across something in a folder on this HDD another friend had loaned him and its an XP key reader.
So naturally curious I run it.

Now the key shown differed from the one that I know I put in, that was the same as the one on the side of his box.

Intrigued now, I ran Magic Jellybean (Which I know to be tried-and-true, and accurate) which gave me the correct key

Software perhaps?

Try Magic Jellybean and see what it says you have

bk T
30-12-2006, 11:57 PM
Downloaded and run Jellybean, the key is the same as that reported by Belarc advisor.

Chilling_Silence
31-12-2006, 12:20 PM
Oooooh! I smell something fishy!

...maybe its the cat food :-/

bk T
31-12-2006, 12:29 PM

Have you identified what 'fish' or 'cat food' (what brand)?

Curious to know

stu161204
31-12-2006, 12:50 PM

:lol: :D

oldguy
01-01-2007, 10:10 AM
Re WinXP CD Key

Try www. magicaljellybean.com (No kidding).

Quote- 'This will allow you to access Product Key used to install Windows from your registry"
Make a printout for when disaster happens.

bk T
01-01-2007, 10:33 AM
Re WinXP CD Key

Try www. magicaljellybean.com (No kidding).

Quote- 'This will allow you to access Product Key used to install Windows from your registry"
Make a printout for when disaster happens.

Magic Jellybean's report is the same as Belarc Advisor - different from the one printed on the sticker at the bottom of the laptop.

steveroby
02-01-2007, 03:19 PM
none of the above.

hard drives.

What barnd of PC are we talking about here, (localy built generic??)
On the Major brands when they preload only the 1st half of the installation is preloaded. So when you first turn on the PC the XP install continues & you enter the country & key etc.

bk T
02-01-2007, 05:09 PM
What barnd of PC are we talking about here, (localy built generic??)
On the Major brands when they preload only the 1st half of the installation is preloaded. So when you first turn on the PC the XP install continues & you enter the country & key etc.

It's an ASUS. You are 'quite' right to say that when they preload the OS, it was not fully loaded and I have to key in the Countrry, etc., BUT certainly not the CD Key. I did not key in any CD Key. :confused:

beama
03-01-2007, 08:55 AM
The answer was given earlier, the key you found (different from the sticker) is the one manufacturers use when mass ghosting hardware.

If you reinstall using manufacturer recovery cd one of two things may happen

The cd key wont be asked for (recovery cd using an answer file)
Key will be asked for in which case use the one on the sticker.