PDA

View Full Version : is there such thing as a leechers pool

wawape**s
30-12-2006, 07:12 PM
does a leechers pool really exist and has anyone ever been in it.

their lines are in shambles and their suppose to be keeping tabs on who goes over 700mb inbetween 4~12am?

jermsie
30-12-2006, 09:22 PM

their lines are in shambles and their suppose to be keeping tabs on who goes over 700mb inbetween 4~12am?

Yes, it consists of hot oil. Not pleasant so I've heard.

I looked twice at go large and the 'fair use' plan on ihug, glad I chose to stay on my current plan

The_End_Of_Reality
30-12-2006, 10:16 PM
Well put it this way... who in their right mind would DL 700MB or over in 8 hours?

And no, I havn't been in it as you probably have guessed :p

Actually it is not the lines that they have put this 700MB restriction in but the servers that can't handle it :rolleyes:

Chilling_Silence
30-12-2006, 10:39 PM
I can do that in an hour or two easily... Thats the time I scheduled the latest Gentoo LiveCD Installer disc to be downloaded. I scheduled it only for two hours.. it finished in that period of time. I also happened to be up surfing for a little bit so needless to say: 680MB CD + me surfing, downloading the odd YouTube video (Elmo meets Rove and Kevin Clash is so awesome!) = 700MB+

...and I wasnt even trying ;)

Metla
30-12-2006, 10:46 PM
Maybe he was being sarcastic?

I downloaded the GTR2 mod for rFactor, 540mb, took just a few minutes, was corrupted, downloaded it again, sweet as, over 1GB of data in less then an hour, Then I immediatly downloaded the 1979 Formula 1 mod and track pack, another 500 mb.

Its all good, thats what broadband is for......

stu161204
30-12-2006, 10:48 PM
If I really wanted to I could also easy move 700MB in an hour or two easy if thing where right & Xtra did now slow down FTP.

(That is a month of database backups)

PS: I don’t think we have been in the leechers pool yet.

The_End_Of_Reality
31-12-2006, 09:32 AM
Ok, I will clarify...

What I mean is (I know it is possible to do over 700MB in an hour even) at that time of the day, I am DLing all the mods and maps for UT2004 and a couple other games, I have DLed over 1.5GB in about 3 hours yesterday and my record is 10GB in one day, maybe I wasn't specific enough... Who would DL 700MB in the hours between 4PM and 12AM? constantly. ie over most nights Meh, I can't be bothered trying to explain myself... If you don't see where I am coming from to bad :p

Chilling_Silence
31-12-2006, 12:19 PM
I can do it night in and night out without even trying :D

wawape**s
31-12-2006, 01:01 PM
yhea so, is xtra actually putting people into pools where your bandwidth is slowdown as punishment?

Big John
31-12-2006, 01:11 PM

700MB is nothing. Just over 1 CD or two TV episodes from the US shows. Do that while flying FSX at the same time.

Just try playing games online for 8 hours as well and see how much data they chew through. I have used nearly 1GB playing BF2132 in the last 3 days alone. A few downloads as well but not many.
Downloads at 350KB/s does not take long to sucj 700MB through

msnforum
31-12-2006, 06:44 PM
Let's say you let a game running for like 4 hours and you watched some high quality videos online. I bet you will go over 700mb for that peak period.

Never question me how much I download with Go Large because I can tell you that it's shocking.

One more thing, you can actually download movies online. Some websites have members that pays like 30 dollars a month to download their movies and it is legal. On top of that, internet users have to pay for the bandwidth. It's not easy to subscribe to download online and pay for the downloads, especially with such slow and costly internet connection.

Terry Porritt
31-12-2006, 08:29 PM
Read the hype:

"
Why Xtra Broadband?

For loads of reasons!

It's super fast
You can download heaps faster than a standard dial-up connection.

It keeps your phone line free
Surf the Internet and talk on the phone at the same time. There's no need for a second line.

It's always on
There's no wait to get online as there is no dialling up.

It's a whole new Internet experience
Xtra Broadband changes the way you use the Internet. You can shop and bank online easily, download music and games in seconds, email large attachments in a flash, watch music and film clips from your computer and much more.
Great stuff you can do with Xtra Broadband

Keep in touch
Send holiday snaps of the grandkids via email. Send video clips of special family occasions like christenings, weddings and birthday parties. Share important news instantly by chatting online in real time.

Be entertained
Download movie trailers. Listen to music clips. Play games online with opponents all over the world.

Keep up to date
Catch the latest news story online. Get sports results. Read reviews of the latest movies. Check out the weekend weather.

Watch video clips
Check out the movie before viewing it. See the latest music videos. View your favourite cartoons. Go on virtual tours of property for sale. Virtually explore art galleries.

Find out how to get xtra Broadband in five simple steps.

http://jetstream.xtra.co.nz/chm/0,5123,202904-202321,00.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
They must reckon you can do all that with less than 700MB, and on the Go Slow plan.

Glad I went to Orcon.

Terry Porritt
31-12-2006, 08:38 PM
....and of course there was this load of cr*p :

"Xtra Broadband unleashed!

Xtra Broadband has unleashed a brand new plan line-up. Blazing download speeds are now available on all of our plans and we're also introducing the Go Large plan - maximum download speeds, unlimited data usage and all the Internet you can handle."

http://www.telecom.co.nz/chm/0,8763,202859-202469,00.html?nv=tpd

... and there was the stupid spectacle of apologists for Telecom elsewhere, I wont say where, who were trying to say that "unleashed" did not mean faster, but compared it with unleashing your dog, who then decided to walk slowly away. What a load of....

R2x1
01-01-2007, 01:17 PM
LOL

SolMiester
01-01-2007, 01:29 PM
Well put it this way... who in their right mind would DL 700MB or over in 8 hours?

And no, I havn't been in it as you probably have guessed :p

Actually it is not the lines that they have put this 700MB restriction in but the servers that can't handle it :rolleyes:

EOR, what are you talking about?.have you been drinking, cause you appear to be dribbling nonsense from your mouth!

steveroby
02-01-2007, 03:09 PM

I find its NO LONGER POSSIBLE to download 700M in THE hours between 4-12 as
the speeds are so slow since switching to GOLARGE.:badpc:

Some games demos are over 1G download, lots of people now download TV programs, 3 of which can be over 700M.
Films can now be downloaded (legaly if you pay) , thats well over 700M.

The_End_Of_Reality
03-01-2007, 03:19 PM
EOR, what are you talking about?.have you been drinking, cause you appear to be dribbling nonsense from your mouth! That is not nesscary, let me refer you to the rules (BTW I took your post in offence as I am against drinking and that was uncalled for :angry) http://www.pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=52243 "1) Keep it friendly: If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything. If you feel a thread or post is offensive do not respond in kind. Use the Report this post link to alert a moderator. Personal attacks on members, moderators or staff will not be tolerated and may result in immediate cancelling of forum membership."

I find its NO LONGER POSSIBLE to download 700M in THE hours between 4-12 as
the speeds are so slow since switching to GOLARGE.:badpc:

Some games demos are over 1G download, lots of people now download TV programs, 3 of which can be over 700M.
Films can now be downloaded (legaly if you pay) , thats well over 700M. Actually you can... local sites are full speed, it is only the international traffic that is slow

Jen
03-01-2007, 05:00 PM
EOR, what are you talking about?.have you been drinking, cause you appear to be dribbling nonsense from your mouth!Hey, as The_End_Of_Reality has pointed out, that is rather insulting even if said in jest. Please refrain from using personal insults in future.