PDA

View Full Version : LAN DHCP issues - No Internet

CaptinMoor
30-12-2006, 02:55 PM
Hi there guys and girls, I have a bit of a problem. It appears that the DHCP is not handing my desktop a LAN ip address. Therefore I cannot gain access to the network or Internet. Also When ever I go in and try and make it a static IP address the LAN window hangs and will not close. Stupid Computer :badpc:

Can anyone please help me try and either re-establish the DHCP service or a possible work around so that I may use the net again.

I know that this is the problem be cause I also have a laptop on the same network and that gains its IP address fine and has no trouble accessing the Web.

Needless to say this is how I managed to post this thread. :)

Desktop: AMD 1.8
ASUS A8N-E
Windows XP SP2

dolby digital
30-12-2006, 06:00 PM
Usually I try disabling the network card, reenabling it... reinstalling the network driver. Is it an onboard LAN?

CaptinMoor
30-12-2006, 06:43 PM
Yeah man, its an onboard LAN. Do you think it is a hardward issue??

johnd
30-12-2006, 08:58 PM
What happens if you try 'ipconfig /renew' from the command prompt? This should renew the IP lease if the settings are currently for DHCP.

CaptinMoor
30-12-2006, 09:15 PM
It comes up with an error message that this task canot be completed. Tryed that and tried a few commands from within NETSH.EXE. Still nothing.

Any more ideas.

Thanks for your help guys and girls

johnd
30-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Sounds like it might be a hardware issue - is the NIC seated properly in the slot?

johnd
30-12-2006, 09:24 PM
I should read properly - onboard NIC!

dolby digital
31-12-2006, 09:12 AM
You wouldn't have a spare ethernet card handy?

I presume the light on the router for the port you plug the ethernet cable from this pc into, lights up.

CaptinMoor
31-12-2006, 10:09 AM
Yeah its an Onboard LAN. I do have another LAN card but do not believe that this is solving the orignal problem. I believe that the DHCP server needs to either be re-started or re install/refreshed some how. I am not totally sure on how to go about this procedure. When I try to talk to the modem or router the is no network trafic going through the router. The lights are on but do not flash so nothing is being passed on to the modem. The Laptop that I have works fine and can access the internet perfectly fine.

One of the strang problems that take a couple of days of thing to sort out I guess.

Thanks for all your help guys and girls. Kepp the ideas coming.:thumbs:

CaptinMoor
03-01-2007, 07:58 AM
Righto, we can close off this thread now. I have no idea how this problem was resolved but I turned my PC on this morning and the magic Computer fairy's had come and fixed that problem. Bloody fairy's I hate not knowing what the problem was. Oh well if it happens again I will post another thread. thanks for all yur help guys and girls.

Laters