PDA

View Full Version : Disassembling a sony vaio PCG-9P6L

PJ45133
29-12-2006, 09:19 PM
Does anyone know how to disassemble a sony vaio PCG-9P6L or can you tell me how to reinstall my graphics card. The computer crashed recently so i reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled windows xp home eddition but now my ethernet card and my graphics card cant be found. i went to the ati website to download a driver update but none of them would work. im not possitive but i think the card is a ATI RAGE Mobility (SONY). i dont have the money right now to take the thing anywhere to have it looked at so any help is much appreciated.

hagrid
29-12-2006, 11:12 PM
You do not "disassemble" a laptop to "reinstall a video card", the video chipset is part of the motherboard.

The drivers should have come with the laptop, on a CD that has all the model specific drivers.

bk T
29-12-2006, 11:46 PM
You may download the drivers from their website and install it.

PJ45133
30-12-2006, 01:24 AM
ok i found that out the hard way. i got everything back together and im using the comp right now. well i went to the device manager and its reading it now. its an ATI RAGE Mobility (SONY) but it has a ! beside it. it says error 10. i went to the ati website to update it but it wouldnt install because it said that the driver could not be found. i even found the cd for it and it said the same thing. i did the troubleshoot but that didnt help at all. any suggestions?

Nomad
30-12-2006, 01:29 AM
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=437591

Nomad
30-12-2006, 01:30 AM
Sony probably had a way to do it with their custom settings with their laptop (windows). The driver wont necesarily fix everything..

You can always call Sony and request a Windows CD ROM if that is not provided, it may be a charge for it though. Provided that your laptop did come with XP windows.

PJ45133
30-12-2006, 01:35 AM
ok now im not even sure that it is a ATI RAGE Mobility (SONY). i know for a fact that its ATI but when i go to the device manager and i try to select one from the list, there is about 15 of them.

PJ45133
30-12-2006, 01:37 AM
all i know is that it is in PCI Slot 13. whatever that means.

Metla
30-12-2006, 01:44 AM
You should really stop now.

If not before you took a screwdriver to it.

Making things worse isn't actually fixing.......

Nomad
30-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Do a google search with your model number laptop and then plug in ATI - it should come up with that chipset - brilliant eh .. not thought of it ....?

There may be software pple here know u can run to find it out .. I never had to use though.

Ring Sony

Read the manual or tech spec sheet for it.

If its already opened you can look at the ATI chip and it may tell ya.

Graham L
03-01-2007, 06:58 PM
If you have found the CD (I assume for the laptop), try installing the motherboard driver from that. That will probably be the essential one, and might even make the Ethernet and video interfaces work. ;) But it is likely to be required before any separate drivers for them can be loaded.