PDA

View Full Version : Someone's hacked HD-DVD protection

beeswax34
29-12-2006, 06:16 PM
Here's a story from Google News that suggests that a hacker called Muslix64 has cracked the encryption and protection that currently protects HD-DVD's and can actually back up the movies to hard drive.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/AACS/HD_DVD_and_Blu-ray_AACS_Copy_Protection_Compromised/407

Chilling_Silence
29-12-2006, 10:37 PM
Mean... knew that it wouldnt take long :)

noone
29-12-2006, 11:38 PM
Lol, Good on Him/Her

The music in the video is kinda weird lol - like some crazy kung fu movie, like the merry xmas bit at the end.

Metla
29-12-2006, 11:57 PM
Cant see the point, In fact the only people I can see jumping all over this will be the people that profit from pressing and distributing counterfet copies.

Even if people can rip the High Definition content a 50GB movie is to big to fire off via the net 20 thousand times, and a quick look on a torrent site shows the 700mb rips are the most popular. Waste of time stealing the best quality unless its a 1 to 1 copy, in which case buying it would be far cheaper and easier then downloading it...

jermsie
30-12-2006, 12:12 AM
Even if people can rip the High Definition content a 50GB movie is to big to fire off via the net 20 thousand times, and a quick look on a torrent site shows the 700mb rips are the most popular. Waste of time stealing the best quality unless its a 1 to 1 copy, in which case buying it would be far cheaper and easier then downloading it...

This is true.
As always its not a matter of if, but a matter of when someone cracks a new program or code, whatever..
Its a big game, a war of the smart out-smarting each other.

paulw
30-12-2006, 10:18 AM
Cant see the point, In fact the only people I can see jumping all over this will be the people that profit from pressing and distributing counterfet copies..

This crack has no effect on this trade as it did before DVD was cracked. A bit by bit copy of the Hidef disk is all that is required.

The problem with this crack is that it may now push the studios over to the Bluray camp as they will say that HDDVD has been cracked. I suspect that Bluray will be cracked very soon as well if not already..

Metla
30-12-2006, 10:54 AM
Currently Blueray and HDD share the exact same encryption...or so is stated by the articles I was reading last night.