PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about this processor??

Robisx
29-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Hi Everyone, I own a Intel Core 2 duo E6600 2.4Ghz processor, and i overclocked it to 2.54ghz. When i play Games i run them really smooth and fast (Along with my 8800GTS Graphics Card), but when played a game called Rainbow Six Vegas(which requires a 3.0ghz to 3.5ghz processor) i can run it smooth but only half of the time. Sometimes when im playing the game it kinda gets choppy. This also happens when i try to play a game called Quake 4. I can run Q4 on Ultra high graphics with no problem(only a few minor jitters here and there) but once i put anti-alias to the max(X16) it starts to get choppy. Its totally playable but it shouldn't be at all jittery should it?

My question is, do I need to overclock my processor more? or my Graphics card at that?

It would be Great if someone could reply back to me on this.

Faded_Mantis
29-12-2006, 12:31 PM
How much RAM do you have, as that can effect the smoothness to (more ram means it can load more into the faster to access RAM rather than trying to get it from the HDD all the time)

Also Rainbow six: Vegas has only just been released this month and games development has been ahead of hardware development for the last few yeasr, meaning games are often released with quality settings at the high end that current hardware can't handle.

Anti-Aliasing and Antistropic filtering are the 2 biggest hitters when it comes to loosing preformance, so when trying to find the sweet spot between looks and preformance it's often best to set everything to full, and then start taking the AA and AF down a bit, you may find that you can leave everything else at full if these 2 go down a bit.

I don't know much abotu Quake 4, but it's a year old now so your system should handle it on full...however I do know that it is often used in benchmark tests and gives lower fps scores than games like farcry.

but then if your system has any less than 1gb of ram then that will be a bottleneck in your system rather than the CPU or GPU

trinsic
29-12-2006, 12:47 PM
You must remember these games are asking for 3ghz single processors. You have TWO running at 2.45ghz so are far past the suggested.

Your 8800GTS should not show any sign of struggle so I would suggest updating your drivers and also having a look on Google for any patches to those games.

EDIT: It's possible some piece of hardware is holding you back, faulty ram, not enough ram, maybe even spyware of some sort.

Renmoo
29-12-2006, 12:56 PM
Hi trinsic. So does this mean that in total the processor is running at 4.90 GHz?

The_End_Of_Reality
29-12-2006, 12:57 PM
RAM is mostlikely the problem, 2GB at least for gaming is what I would suggest.

The 8800GTS is the second most powerful nVidia card... it CAN handle it...

CPU can handle it, even though the clock speed is lower it is more efficient in what it does meaning it can do more work for less clock cycles.

And trinsic just because it is DC DOES NOT mean it is going to be better than a single core CPU... only if the game/application is multithreaded will a DC benefit I am not sure if this game is multi threaded or not... open task manager on the performance tab and play the game for a few mins and see what CPU usage you arre getting, that will tell

Robisx
29-12-2006, 01:29 PM
Thankyou guys for your replies :) BTW here are my computer specs ...

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4Ghz Processor (OC to 2.54Ghz)
ABIT AW9D-MAX S-775 Motherboard
2 Gigs of Ram (OCZ PC2 6400 Gold XTC)
XFX GeForce 8800GTS 640MB Graphics Card
Kingwin 600W Modular Blue LED Power Suppliy
Seagate 320GB SATA HardDrive.

Again, thankyou for your replies. :)

JJJJJ
29-12-2006, 02:08 PM
Nothing wrong with your specs., except dual core cpu's and completely unsuitable for gaming.
Don't take any notice of people who tell you, "dual core are the way of the future".
You want to play now, not in ten years time.

Faded_Mantis
29-12-2006, 02:46 PM
Games should start comming out with functions that allow them to be run faster on dual core soon-ish. I'm single core though.

The_End_Of_Reality
29-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Nothing wrong with your specs., except dual core cpu's and completely unsuitable for gaming.
Don't take any notice of people who tell you, "dual core are the way of the future".
You want to play now, not in ten years time. NO, YOU ARE WRONG!!!! THERE ARE GAMES OUT NOW THAT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF DC CPUS :angry NFS Carbon, BF2142 are 2 games that I have noticed use 80+% of my CPU and there is likely to be more.

And plus You will find that doing other tasks such as video encoding etc use DC CPUs to their full advantage

I run a 4400+ X2 and that is great, I have had no problems in the gaming department, YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE ON HERE THAT HAS A PROBLEM WITH DC CPUS :groan:

Dannz
29-12-2006, 03:35 PM
NO, YOU ARE WRONG!!!! THERE ARE GAMES OUT NOW THAT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF DC CPUS :angry NFS Carbon, BF2142 are 2 games that I have noticed use 80+% of my CPU and there is likely to be more.

And plus You will find that doing other tasks such as video encoding etc use DC CPUs to their full advantage

I run a 4400+ X2 and that is great, I have had no problems in the gaming department, YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE ON HERE THAT HAS A PROBLEM WITH DC CPUS :groan:
Agree!
I have a core2 duo and its amazingly better for gaming (not that i do it much, but it was worth the test to see what the CPU was like.) Have you acutally tried to play games JJJJJ?
Even non-Dual Core specific games run better.

JJJJJ
29-12-2006, 03:38 PM
NO, YOU ARE WRONG!!!! THERE ARE GAMES OUT NOW THAT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF DC CPUS :angry NFS Carbon, BF2142 are 2 games that I have noticed use 80+% of my CPU and there is likely to be more.

Suggest you read the current "PC Authority". Their advice. "Don't hold your breath"
The just released intel quad core. A quarter of a cpu. (for gaming).

Dannz
29-12-2006, 03:41 PM
Suggest you read the current "PC Authority". Their advice. "Don't hold your breath"
The just released intel quad core. A quarter of a cpu. (for gaming).
Suggest you read the Nov 2006 PC World. :)

Also i add that a SINGLE core of the Core2 is better than the latest pentium extreme (3.8ghz or what ever it is). Benchmarks dont lie

The_End_Of_Reality
29-12-2006, 03:42 PM
Well logically if a game can only use HALF of a DC (single threaded) then it can only use a quarter of a quad core... :rolleyes:

The_End_Of_Reality
29-12-2006, 03:45 PM
Just a thought about your overclock... have you stability tested using Prime 95, Memtest 86 and CPU Burn In to ensure it is actually stable and not the cause?

trinsic
29-12-2006, 03:56 PM
Hi trinsic. So does this mean that in total the processor is running at 4.90 GHz?

Yes and no. Yes because you have two cores on the processor so have double the amount of processing power you can use. And no because most of the time you would not be using both at the same time.

And trinsic just because it is DC DOES NOT mean it is going to be better than a single core CPU... only if the game/application is multithreaded will a DC benefit I am not sure if this game is multi threaded or not... open task manager on the performance tab and play the game for a few mins and see what CPU usage you arre getting, that will tell

Rainbow six doesn't support DC which is a shame. Reality is right though if the games not multithreaded it means you are limiting yourself to one core. But expect games to start using it next year. Some patches should allow support for them as well. Also I done a quick google search and found one other person with a dual core system having pausing problems in rainbow six :)

Wait for patches to fix it up IMO.

Dannz
29-12-2006, 04:00 PM
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=430&model2=464&chart=175
Benchmarks to back up my post :)

JUST INSANE
29-12-2006, 09:08 PM
It maybe that you have not set a higher cpu voltage because overclocking requires more voltage to the cpu or that your power supply is not powerful enough as it happens to me sometimes

JUST INSANE
29-12-2006, 09:10 PM
dual core cpus can only unleash their full potential with new game patches that support dual cores

Renmoo
29-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the explanation there, trinsic. How does a P4 CPU with HTT differ from one which is duo core?

Cheers :)

JUST INSANE
29-12-2006, 09:28 PM
HTT is a code in the cpu which lets programs use different parts of the cpu but in benchmarking it is no different to a single core cpu. Which make HTT useless
Dual core can take big advantages if the program code supports and nearly double speed of a single core however there could be increased latencey between memory access because of bottlenecks.

SolMiester
29-12-2006, 09:29 PM

Jack, isnt it?. Show me a cpu on the market (single) that out performs this guys cpu in games please.

You cant!
Can you?

Back to thread;
I would be asking this guy what resolutions he is running with AA etc and setting and suggest the guy check out the forum for this guys as they always have threads for this.

JJJJJ
30-12-2006, 05:58 AM
Jack, isnt it?. Show me a cpu on the market (single) that out performs this guys cpu in games please.

You cant!
Can you?

AMD x2 4200+ insufficient resources. Dumped from game,even on low settings.
AMD 4000+ No problems on full settings.

The game: MS Flight Simulator plus FSINN plus Teamspeak.

The_End_Of_Reality
30-12-2006, 08:03 AM

AMD 4000+ No problems on full settings. You probably just got a bad/unstable chip or some software conflict. I bet that if you tried a different DC CPU it will be fine. and BTW you didn't actually read SM's post... he said that beats THIS GUYS CPU (Intel Core 2 duo E6600) you can't, even running on half the CPU, these are little rippers.

Infact I guarentee that I can play FS9 on my DC_WITH_NO_PROBLEMS

pctek
30-12-2006, 08:52 AM

No. Like has been said, lots of current stuff doesn't take advantage of the dual-core yet.
Hah, a nice DC vs SC fight. :D

Personally I think the problem is with those particular games. And I suggest you turn your game resolution down. That way you can still have all your game settings max. Try it.

SolMiester
30-12-2006, 01:28 PM
AMD 4000+ No problems on full settings.

The game: MS Flight Simulator plus FSINN plus Teamspeak.

Jack, I understand how people judge via there own experiences, however that doesnt prove facts.
There could be countless reasons why you had DC game issues. Firstly, you need the dual core driver for AMD chips. Secondly you can use affinity to lock to one core and Thirdly, the single core cpu you mention running @ a faster cycle than the other DC you mentioned.

I would even be happy betting that the message you got has got nothing to do with the cpu and would instead be looking at memory and the settings.

I really cant believe you are advocating the single core cpu's over dual core. Maybe before the Intel Core2, but certainly not now.

The_End_Of_Reality
30-12-2006, 01:58 PM
Jack, I understand how people judge via there own experiences, however that doesnt prove facts.
There could be countless reasons why you had DC game issues. Firstly, you need the dual core driver for AMD chips. Secondly you can use affinity to lock to one core and Thirdly, the single core cpu you mention running @ a faster cycle than the other DC you mentioned.

I would even be happy betting that the message you got has got nothing to do with the cpu and would instead be looking at memory and the settings.

I really cant believe you are advocating the single core cpu's over dual core. Maybe before the Intel Core2, but certainly not now. I have found the NFS games have irregular speed (speeding up and slowing down) without the AMD DC driver but the driver fixes that.

Exactly. Affinity is a good way to emulate something running on a single core CPU

And yes, I also agree that there is a speed difference in the CPUs that he mentioned which is why single threaded apps will run faster on the 4000+

I would also bet that too... give me the game and I will run it on my 4400+ and I bet I will have no problems.

I also agree, DC CPUs have come a long way since they were first released and are now the leading CPUs as many reviews and benchmarks suggest. oh and BTW, that link that Daniel posted earlier is a comparison chart of most current CPUs (single and dual core) running WinRar winch is a single threaded application too and the DC CPUs

JJJJJ
30-12-2006, 02:19 PM
I really cant believe you are advocating the single core cpu's over dual core. Maybe before the Intel Core2, but certainly not now.

Of course I'm not. I am only saying that for one particular game, under specific conditions, single core is a better proposition.

AS a point of interest my computer was inspected by experts. Everything was checked and double checked. Drivers were changed etc. etc.
Replacing the cpu was the last suggestion.
And it is still possable to cause the game to shut down. But you've got to try hard to do it.
I know that fs9 will run on a p3 500 with 256 megs ram. But when it is loaded with about 20 gigs of addons it needs more than a x2 4200+.

PedalSlammer
30-12-2006, 04:41 PM
Dude, DC is better than SC CPUs. I run NFS Carbon fine without even lagging except nasties on the computer(Spyware and Viruses) Your specs are good but why can't you run games at a full power? My PC is kinda weak but can run new games OK.

trinsic
30-12-2006, 07:50 PM
The fact is DC is still much faster then a SC and all a game needs is a patch to fix current problems if it needs it. Just because a game runs slow or crashes when you have a DC doesn't mean DC is slower, it just means its not supported yet. DC and if I must say QC (Quad Core, which I don't think has been mentioned yet) are more advanced in everyway possible.

Also in the years to come Intel want more cores per processor while AMD has said no to this as it will just be another war on who has more speed. I have totally forgotten the way AMD put it but they are in early stages of their next project.

Master_Frost
31-12-2006, 01:52 PM
You must remember these games are asking for 3ghz single processors. You have TWO running at 2.45ghz so are far past the suggested.

For frak Sakes, the lowest Core 2 Due E6300 running at 1.8gig SINGLE THREAD performace destroys a P4 3.0gig in ANY game you could pick. You guys have got to start reading some gaming benchmarks before posting drivel like this.

Can you please stop posting crap like this, you had a bad experience with AMD X2 in a flight sim.

Did you not open up any of the benchmarks I spoon fed you in the last thread like this?

Try reading and learning before posting! you are wrong!

trinsic
31-12-2006, 05:58 PM
For frak Sakes, the lowest Core 2 Due E6300 running at 1.8gig SINGLE THREAD performace destroys a P4 3.0gig in ANY game you could pick. You guys have got to start reading some gaming benchmarks before posting drivel like this.

Hmm I did say far past the suggested didn't I :dogeye:
The architecture of the DC chips beat any SC even just one core of a DC. But they have been known to cause problems (which have been fixed in games one way or another).

PedalSlammer
31-12-2006, 06:04 PM
The fact is DC is still much faster then a SC and all a game needs is a patch to fix current problems if it needs it. Just because a game runs slow or crashes when you have a DC doesn't mean DC is slower, it just means its not supported yet. DC and if I must say QC (Quad Core, which I don't think has been mentioned yet) are more advanced in everyway possible.

Also in the years to come Intel want more cores per processor while AMD has said no to this as it will just be another war on who has more speed. I have totally forgotten the way AMD put it but they are in early stages of their next project.
Talking about Quad Core? Hmm, I can't wait for Intel's one because AMD is a bit of delay here.
I know Intel is cheating by using two dual core chips sliced together, hmm, where's the real Quad Core CPU now? AMD is working on it but a long delay.

Master_Frost
01-01-2007, 12:51 PM
Hmm I did say far past the suggested didn't I :dogeye:
The architecture of the DC chips beat any SC even just one core of a DC. But they have been known to cause problems (which have been fixed in games one way or another).

I was probably a tad harsh sorry. If you are talking about Core 2 Due then i agree, if you are talking about Pentium D then I don't agree as there single thread performance is below Pentium 4.

You cant!
Can you?

They can't as they spend no time investigating for themselves, they will just blindly post a rebuttal bleeting on about AMD X2 or something that has nothing to do with Intel C2D, which we both know is vastly superior in Single thread and Multi thread (everything in other words).

Maybe they will catch up in a year or two, we can only hope they don't mislead to many other people while they play catch up, hence the reason I started a new thread.