PDA

View Full Version : Random Ihug SMTP license expired messages

Jen
28-12-2006, 11:35 PM
Hi all

Are any other Ihug users getting this message at times when they send email?

An error occurred sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: The evaluation license has expired..

I've had it twice this evening, but when I phoned up Ihug support they just tried to tell me it was my system giving this message, and not their servers as no one else had complained about it. I got no other error number message with Thunderbird. I did explain I used Thunderbird with Linux so was hardly likely to have a expiring license for any of my software. If you try to send the email again, it goes without any error messages.

I googled the error message and found a forum for iiNet (Australia) which mentioned the exact error message. Their ISP staff later confessed it was due to an expired key on a loan server they had installed after initially suggesting to posters they had client side expired software being used. iiNet used to own Ihug. Ihug support completely brushed off that idea when I mentioned it to them.

So, just curious if others are getting this or if I am just the lucky one.

Safari
29-12-2006, 06:21 AM
I get the same message at times using Thunderbird and sending through Ihug SMTP. It does not happen when sending through another ISP mail server and it does not happen when using Mac Mail client so it appears to be an Ihug issue with Thunderbird.

Jen
29-12-2006, 06:43 AM
Ah, that is interesting. I've been using Thunderbird for quite sometime, and this is the first time I have seen that error message. What would be behind the mail server taking exception to Thunderbird? Surely the SMTP connection protocols are standard? The "evaluation license" part is what got me puzzled.

Greg
29-12-2006, 07:05 AM
Do you have a secondary email client you could test it with?

FoxyMX
29-12-2006, 09:15 AM
It's pretty obvious what happened - the mail server got rapped on the knuckles for trying to send a "Merry Christmas" greeting when it should now be "Happy New Year"! :D

Jen
29-12-2006, 06:09 PM
Do you have a secondary email client you could test it with?I do have another email client I could try, but as I have only seen the error message twice now I might have to wait a while for it to reoccur. I tried before sending myself several emails and they all went fine.

As soon as I get the error message again, I will give KMail a twirl and see what happens.