PDA

View Full Version : meta tags in text or html?

lance4k
28-12-2006, 12:27 PM
ok i just got a godaddy domain name,and they have a box where you can type in meta tags. Now am I ment to type the meta tags in html or just plain text for search engines can index my website?

Greg
28-12-2006, 12:47 PM
Pretty sure it'll be plain text. Easy to change if you're wrong. So type them in, then go view your webpage's source to check.

stu161204
28-12-2006, 12:47 PM
As I have never use the service you’re using I would guess try typing them in as plain text, & see if that works

Hope this helps :)

netchicken
28-12-2006, 01:21 PM
Don't forget the rules for metatags however to make it work

1 Every word in the metatag must be at least once on the page - otherwise it gets ignored,

2 Keep you metatags under about 10-15 words, often thats all they index anyway

3 Meta description is a concise summary of the page using the words from the page

4 The metatag words are the keywords that people will type into the search engine to find your page. So you need the same words in your heading tags (H1, H2 etc)

5 The whole point to the rules above is to tell the search engine that this page is totally about a topic. So the metatags, the headings, the text all realte to the topic your page is focusing on. - write your page tightly with no waffling - waffling decreases the density of the keywords in tthe text.

eg: Your page is on Holden Cars.

<title> tag - Holden cars
Meta tags - holden cars barina etc etc
Title H1 - All about Holden cars
Heading H2 - Holden makes, Problems with Holdens, My favorite Holden etc
Text - words associated with Holden cars that meet your topic

Not - off topic talk about Fords - put that on a new page

6 Obviously every page has unique metatags.

Hope this helps

Greg
28-12-2006, 03:24 PM
Not - off topic talk about Fords - put that on a new pageA slight refinement about that point. Putting competitor brands and products, within sentences in a sensible context, can help. Eg if someone does a search for "holdens versus fords", by ommiting "fords" your page may miss out. Pertinent phrases incorporating your keywords are more likely to be rated higher than keywords alone.

netchicken
28-12-2006, 04:32 PM
Hey thats a good point :)

Before you write a page you really need to think about the people who are looking for your information, and what they would type in. Phrases are a great point.