PDA

View Full Version : Recording

Bryden
27-12-2006, 08:44 PM
Hi Experts....

I have grandchildren in the UK and want to read some NZ stories so that I can write them to CD. What equipment and gadgets would you suggest would be best to use please?

I went to Warehouse Stationery today and they suggested I visited Dick Smith Powerhouse - haven't done that so far but was a bit intrigued to be directed to the opposition! VBG

TIA

Bryden

SurferJoe46
27-12-2006, 08:56 PM
For the times when I do that..I just use Audacity to record the sounds I speak into the microphone, and save the selected file as an MP3 on the harddrive and then burn it onto a cd-rom.

With Audacity you can edit and amplify and create sound effects and switch sequences of voice/data to your heart's content. You can even add music in the background with extra tracks and synch them as you see fit...

Sometimes for fun I put the MP3 on a mini disk..a smaller version of a regular cd-rom..the kinds you get for vid recorders work just fine..and they mail or carry in smaller packages.

Enjoy!

Bryden
27-12-2006, 09:04 PM
Audacity - haven't searched yet but is this a download, or a programme you buy? Microphones etc. - anything I should watch out for or are they just basic? This is a new arena for me though a lot of other computer things I am quite familiar with...

TIA

Renmoo
27-12-2006, 09:12 PM
Hi Bryden. You would need to have a microphone in the first place, or you can use the voice-recording function of some digital camera or cellphone to record down the stories as you speak. There was a desk-mounted microphone sold at Botany Downs Bond & Bond or DSE for about 20 bucks a few weeks ago.

DSE Powerhouse is only available at Hamilton and Manukau. I guess you are living near to either one of those two locations? :)

P.S. Don't forget to omit NZ accent as you dictate the stories; it might be a little hard to understand for an English. :P

Cheers :)

The_End_Of_Reality
27-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Audacity is a free download, Google it.

I have a Logitech headset that I use, it is about $50 but it is good

zqwerty
27-12-2006, 09:16 PM
Audacity is free, you can get from here:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Bryden
27-12-2006, 09:31 PM
Thanks so much for the replies.... Will check out the microphones...

I live in Cambridge so Hamilton Powerhouse is a regular stop off...

As for the Kiwi accent - I am English, so don't have one! VBG

Renmoo
27-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Hi again, Bryden. To be honest, I am half-surprised that there are still people out there dictating stories to their children and grand-children, given that the world has now been hijacked by technology. :D

Anyway, it is good to know that some family traditions are still in existent today. :)

drcspy
28-12-2006, 05:18 AM
any mic should do really......and audacity is a very good program....

Bryden
28-12-2006, 05:37 PM
Well I did record some stories on to tape for my little ones and they still play them at night when they go to bed. When you live at such a distance it is important to keep the contact going....

BTW you should have used the word "existence".... VBG

Bryden

Renmoo
28-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Well I did record some stories on to tape for my little ones and they still play them at night when they go to bed. When you live at such a distance it is important to keep the contact going....

BTW you should have used the word "existence".... VBG

Bryden
Thanks for the correction, Bryden. :)

R2x1
28-12-2006, 10:44 PM
JamesKan. . . it might be a little hard to understand for an English. :P
Maybe "for an English person." Or "for an English native." ;)

SurferJoe46
29-12-2006, 05:18 AM

I don't know...I'd say it like this:

".....for an English-speaking person" or

"...for an English-speaking, native born person"

I don't think a person is really "English" much any more as there seems to be a social distinction now to being "British";

......and "English native" sounds like it might be a Druid who hid away for the last few centuries and was just spotted in a cafe in Wandsworth SW-18.

Greg
29-12-2006, 07:10 AM
Bryden - keep in mind you don't have to download Audacity or anything. Windows has its own built-in recording application.

SurferJoe46
29-12-2006, 07:17 AM
Bryden - keep in mind you don't have to download Audacity or anything. Windows has its own built-in recording application.

I think Windows recorder is limited in file size and only records in .wav formats...but I might be wrong as the times I tried it I got tired of it really fast and used Audacity.

Greg
29-12-2006, 08:02 AM
Well if she's going to do frequent recordings then yeah, would be worth getting it.

Renmoo
29-12-2006, 10:00 AM

I don't think a person is really "English" much any more as there seems to be a social distinction now to being "British";

Hi R2-D2 (did you watch Star Wars yesterday night?;) ). What I really meant to say was "an English" (that is, someone from UK), and not someone who is able to speak English; otherwise I wouldn't have raise the issue on NZ accent might be hard for someone from UK to comprehend.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, Bryden. Hope you are making good progress there!

R2x1
29-12-2006, 10:17 AM
Gd'day James, Arrgghh - I missed Star Wars last night. I only flick the TV on maybe twice a week, and so I missed the highlight of the year ;)
Calling a person "an English" seems a bit Amish to me ;) Poms is pretty unambiguous to us, but Joe's neighbours would probably be puzzled. Some "English" resent being called Poms, others prefer it. I'm blowed if I know the reason for either attitude, any more than I understand the origin of the word. Maybe it's similar to the dislike some Aucklanders have for being called J-A-F-A-S while others (including me) don't worry.

Greg
29-12-2006, 10:23 AM
I spent 3 years in the UK and found they prefer to refer to themselves and for others to refer to them as Brits.

Renmoo
29-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Gd'day James, Arrgghh - I missed Star Wars last night. I only flick the TV on maybe twice a week, and so I missed the highlight of the year ;)
Calling a person "an English" seems a bit Amish to me ;) Poms is pretty unambiguous to us, but Joe's neighbours would probably be puzzled. Some "English" resent being called Poms, others prefer it. I'm blowed if I know the reason for either attitude, any more than I understand the origin of the word. Maybe it's similar to the dislike some Aucklanders have for being called J-A-F-A-S while others (including me) don't worry.
J@F@ is a negative connotation for Aucklanders, isn't it (just like Irish dislike being called paddy)? On the other hand, don't you call someone from England "English"?

I guess I will stick to "British" then, Greg.

P.S. There is still another episode of Star Wars tonight on TV3 :D

SurferJoe46
29-12-2006, 04:54 PM
Funny..."paddy" is a name the Afro-Americans call caucasians here.....not being Irish and being called paddy is kinda strange...but it never meant much to me.

Paddy Joe, token white guy.