PDA

View Full Version : Is there really anything so bad about apple?

Dannz
27-12-2006, 07:37 PM
Hi All,

I saving to buy this: http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/Product/A3809

And everyone is telling me that i should get something else, maybe even a no-name brand 80gb some thing, that has a 1 month warranty etc etc

Am i making a mistake? i don't think i am, I don't want to spend this amount of money, and buy some no-name that will die, i'd rather spend money on a decent player.

Cheers

Safari
27-12-2006, 07:46 PM
You can't go wrong buying any Apple product. The design, functionality and reliability oftens amazes users of other products when they finally get around to trying for themselves.
There are many Apple Mac members on this forum who will confirm this and even Billy T a one time Windows fanatic now uses iTunes.

lagbort
27-12-2006, 08:15 PM
the ipod is actually a pretty good piece of kit, I previously owned an Iriver H340 as my mp3 player of choice however now owning a 30gb video ipod identical to the one in your link I can see that in all areas other than sound quality and ease of putting music on, it has the iriver beat.

Itunes is the one major fly in the ointment for ipods as it is really not a suitable application for general everyday use due to its unbearable interface, horribly slow load times and refusal to adhere to audio settings. However it can be mostly avoided if you just use it to copy the music over to your ipod then banish it from your system until some new piece of music takes your fancy.

Greg
27-12-2006, 08:16 PM
You can't go wrong buying any Apple product. The design, functionality and reliability oftens amazes users of other products when they finally get around to trying for themselves.
You know that's bad reasoning. You know you're wrong. Evidence shows you're wrong. Evidence suggests the total opposite of what you suggest.

Give a thought to those that don't give a stuff for Apple products. Maybe they know better? Maybe they like the alternative? Maybe they want a mainstream product that works without being inculcated by a massive learning curve and one that gives a huge amount of support without selling their soul to a minority product. Perhaps even, people want a usable interface without having a bizzare colour scheme nor weird looking and user-unfriendly interfaces and hardware.

Hmm.

alasta
27-12-2006, 08:17 PM
You need to be careful when you take opinions on this. Most people who have an opinion on Apple products are at one extreme or the other and brand loyalty seems to overrule facts.

For what it's worth, I've used various Apple products over many years and the only problem that I've ever had was a blown logic board in a G3 iBook. I think that's a good run.

There are a few iPod horror stories out there but when you consider how many of those things have been sold, you can imagine that the ones with problems are a very small proportion. It's also important to remember that the hard drive based models do not cope well with mistreatment, and a lot of users don't seem to understand this.

bob_doe_nz
27-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Hi All,

I saving to buy this: http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/Product/A3809

And everyone is telling me that i should get something else, maybe even a no-name brand 80gb some thing, that has a 1 month warranty etc etc

Am i making a mistake? i don't think i am, I don't want to spend this amount of money, and buy some no-name that will die, i'd rather spend money on a decent player.

CheersWait till it needs to be repaired under warranty. Or better yet, when it is NOT under warranty.

Not only that, but it is a 'hot' item to thieves. Leave it for five minutes and do not expect to see it ever again.

alasta
27-12-2006, 08:22 PM
Itunes is the one major fly in the ointment for ipods as it is really not a suitable application for general everyday use due to its unbearable interface, horribly slow load times and refusal to adhere to audio settings. However it can be mostly avoided if you just use it to copy the music over to your ipod then banish it from your system until some new piece of music takes your fancy.

I've actually been very impressed with the user interface of iTunes, and find it to be much more intuitive and reliable than Windows Media Player. Your signature suggests that you're a PC user, so perhaps being an experienced Mac user gives me a different perspective.

And for anyone who's tempted to have a go at me, I'm not suggesting that either product is better than the other but I do know what I like personally.

SurferJoe46
27-12-2006, 08:36 PM
I thought this might be a post about the fruit...apples..well...I did!

What's worse than biting into an apple and finding a worm?

Biting into an apple and finding 1/2 a worm.

That's about the only joke concerning apples I have.

Tukapa
27-12-2006, 08:37 PM
I have a creative zen vision:m. I have the 30GB model but they have just released it in 60GB for the same price.

In my opinion both are good pieces of kit but I chose the Creative because in my opinion it has a better sound quality. Also I didn't want to be tied to iTunes (yep Speedy - I know you can use Winamp).

For me the device is used for music therefore the sound quality is paramount and in my opinion the Creative is better in that area.

Did I stress my opinion enough in there? :D

lagbort
27-12-2006, 08:39 PM
I've actually been very impressed with the user interface of iTunes, and find it to be much more intuitive and reliable than Windows Media Player. Your signature suggests that you're a PC user, so perhaps being an experienced Mac user gives me a different perspective.

it isnt windows media player I am comparing to (whose interface for anything other than movies is horrible) but rather dedicated music programs such as winamp.

although i suppose I could be soured by the latest release of itunes which takes over 1 minute to start on my system and then refuses to play through anything more than the front speakers of my 5.1 arrangement, no matter how much prodding it is given.

Dannz
27-12-2006, 08:56 PM
i wouldnt mind a zen, if i can get one for the price of the ipod, its really the price that is my main deciding factor.

Dannz
27-12-2006, 08:58 PM
Wait till it needs to be repaired under warranty. Or better yet, when it is NOT under warranty.

Not only that, but it is a 'hot' item to thieves. Leave it for five minutes and do not expect to see it ever again.

I intend to be careful.

I thought this might be a post about the fruit...apples..well...I did!

What's worse than biting into an apple and finding a worm?

Biting into an apple and finding 1/2 a worm. That's about the only joke concerning apples I have.
Doesnt really help much :p

There are a few iPod horror stories out there but when you consider how many of those things have been sold, you can imagine that the ones with problems are a very small proportion. It's also important to remember that the hard drive based models do not cope well with mistreatment, and a lot of users don't seem to understand this.
I plan to treat it well, and the IPod name does count for something, that its likely to be reliable.

SurferJoe46
27-12-2006, 09:02 PM
Why you can't get iPods at a discount (http://www.slate.com/id/2156030/?nav=tap3)

:mad:
:mad:

R2x1
27-12-2006, 09:12 PM
Hasn't any non-apple person had the temerity to suggest a Zune yet ? ?:badpc:

Dannz
27-12-2006, 09:12 PM
I can't take in a long article at the moment :p
its just going right over my head

Dannz
27-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Hasn't any non-apple person had the temerity to suggest a Zune yet ? ?:badpc:
(at the risk of starting a flame war - im not trying to though) AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Microsoft take it away!!! :rolleyes:

In all seriousness: I think it relies too much on Digital Rights Management.

bob_doe_nz
27-12-2006, 09:16 PM
(at the risk of starting a flame war - im not trying to though) AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Microsoft take it away!!! :rolleyes:

In all seriousness: I think it relies too much on Digital Rights Management.

The Zune never sold well anyway.
If only I really needed the iRiver, sigh... Ogg playability

Tukapa
27-12-2006, 10:05 PM
i wouldnt mind a zen, if i can get one for the price of the ipod, its really the price that is my main deciding factor.

Can't quite find the Creative for that. Depending on where you are buying some DSE stores have minimal stock left at $498.

I can get the new 60GB Zen Vision:M for $554 + about $5 for freight.

Cornot
27-12-2006, 10:31 PM
I'm suprised that no one has even suggested the humble PSP. Downgraded to 1.5 (Or Dev-Hooked), the PSP is more than capable of running almost any piece of homebrew, including several excellent media players. Considering $300 for the PSP + $200 for a 2gb MS Duo, a $500 Music Player/Movie Player/Game Console/Internet/Photo displayer its a good buy especially if you consider running homebrew on it. I use my PSP mostly for music and the sound quality is good, although a little quiet. Does anyone know of an application I can use to increase the volume of my music collection?

Dannz
27-12-2006, 10:32 PM
$554 isnt bad, but how do i get music onto a Zen?
and what codecs?

plod
27-12-2006, 10:40 PM
Is anyone here subscribe to consumer, they usually have reliabilty tests and so
you could always start a poll from actuall users of the different machines, not just a I hate ipod because I don't own one or anyone for that matter

Greven
27-12-2006, 10:50 PM
The PSP is too big for me. I like a small MP3 player that still has a large enough display to show the information I want.

I have a Creative Rhomba NX 512mb, which would be really good if it allowed you to use sub-folders.

noone
27-12-2006, 10:51 PM
With the ipod the only way without hacks is to get music on via the hellish program that is itunes.

With the vision:m, you can use standard explorer, the supplied creative software or any other program really that allows you to sync with a portable device (WMP10/11, Winamp,Media Monkey).

Audio Codecs of Vision:M - MP3, WMA (inc MS PD DRM), WAV
Video Codecs - DivX™ 4 & 55, XviD5, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG4-SP, WMV9, Motion-JPEG (YAY OMG DIVX, IPOD cant touch that with there crapping codec).

Other advantages of the vision:M

Fm Radio + Recording
Better screen, 262k colours as opposed to 65k colours
Custom EQ
Better video battery life
60gig model has Otg usb host

I have one, and im very pleased with it, sorry if i sound like a crazed creative fan boy but its way better imo.

Cornot
27-12-2006, 10:57 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Zen

noone
27-12-2006, 10:59 PM
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5546

Ignore the name bias, it raises both the advantages and disadvantages of both players

Dannz
27-12-2006, 11:12 PM
Yeah i would love a Zen, but id have to find an extra $100 on top of what i am saving.. i guess it would be worth it though.

Thing is.. i like iTunes :P
i have it setup to scan my music dir and update the library every 30 mins. i love it :p

EDIT: oh and i should have mentioned, i dont care in the slightest if it can play video, i just want a nice big, MUSIC player, nothing else. If i can watch the occasional TV episode, thats a bonus, but i prefer a pc screen anyway.

Greg
28-12-2006, 06:25 AM
Yeah i would love a Zen, but id have to find an extra $100 on top of what i am saving.. i guess it would be worth it though.
Look at some comparisons (http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=creative+zen+vision+m+versus+ipod&btnG=Google+Search&meta=).

plod
28-12-2006, 08:18 AM

Thing is.. i like iTunes :P
i have it setup to scan my music dir and update the library every 30 mins. i love it :p

EDIT: oh and i should have mentioned, i dont care in the slightest if it can play video, i just want a nice big, MUSIC player, nothing else. If i can watch the occasional TV episode, thats a bonus, but i prefer a pc screen anyway.
go and play with them, hold them, see what you like the best, listen to them. will you be using the supplied headphones or have you got some you already use, if so take them with you

Tukapa
28-12-2006, 09:01 AM
$554 isnt bad

If you decide you want one just PM me. I have the 30GB and will probably look at flicking it off soon to upgrade to the 60Gb model.

Dannz
28-12-2006, 09:19 AM
Reading through some of the comparisons, the Zen seems to be favoured for videos, and battery life for MP3's is about 5 hours less than the IPod.
All im looking for is a MP3 Player, so the IPod (at $100 cheaper) might be the way for me to go.

Billy T
28-12-2006, 10:37 AM
There are many Apple Mac members on this forum who will confirm this and even Billy T a one time Windows fanatic now uses iTunes.
Steady on Safari, one Swallow does not a summer make!

I am still wedded to PCs & Windows, and wouldn't keep an Apple product if it was given to me.

I use iTunes for ripping because I needed Mp3s in a hurry and it was the only program that gave me reliable results, but it is bloated as hell and very slow. All the other programs I tried were under-developed freeware and had I had time to go looking for a polished product, I am sure I would have found one. iTunes was the last free product I tried, it worked, and that's why I use it, but it is not free of bugs. There is one that makes it rip at very slow speed and I haven't quite worked out what it is yet, though I have found a way to get it to speed up in mid-rip.

I'm not prejudiced though, my likes and dislikes are based on practical issues and it is not just Apple I don't like. After many years in the electronics industry I have too-often found that manufacturers who capitalise on a "Brand" name may well make good products, but they cost the earth yet frequently offer little if any advantage over a much cheaper option. Motor vehicles are a similar example.

In the early days of colour TV, Philips, Sony and Sanyo sold at very high prices, yet much cheaper options could perform equally well if properly set up. Reliability on the cheaper models was not quite so good, but the cost of repairs to for Sanyo and Sony in particular was very high. Sony used proprietary semiconductors in the power supply that cost a fortune and often died several times during repair attempts.

I don't like products that attempt to lock you in to proprietary hardware or software, and Apple is a prime example of that restrictive policy. If PCs were made and sold under the same restrictive conditions as Apple products, both the equipment and the OS would be hugely more reliable. A significant proportion of PC problems are not related to the generic technology, they are created by the infinite and ever-evolving range of software and hardware available.

I don't indulge in the practice of constant update and change, which is why both my computers are still using their original OS installations after 6 (W2K) and 10 (W98)years respectively, and the only failed components I have had were a power supply in Old Faithful at around the 7 year mark and an HDD that failed 6 or so years ago.

Cheers

Billy *<8-{)=

A Mac won't appear in my office until they prise
my cold dead fingers off my PC.

noone
28-12-2006, 12:12 PM
http://dapreview.net/zune_vs_ipod_vs_zvm.html.

Try that. I normally get between 14-16 hours of battery on the Zen Vision:M, which is on par and above its rated battery life, this is the same rated battery life of the Ipod.

If you are wanting a Execellent Music only player (with limited video options) try the IAudio X5L - its a bit old but has all the audio features and much more of the ipod/zen/zune. The 'L' version also has a rated battery life of 35 hours.

http://www.iaudiophile.net/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.24

plod
28-12-2006, 12:28 PM
I don't indulge in the practice of constant update and change, which is why both my computers are still using their original OS installations after 6 (W2K) and 10 (W98)years respectively, and the only failed components I have had were a power supply in Old Faithful at around the 7 year mark and an HDD that failed 6 or so years ago.

Cheers

Billy *<8-{)=

A Mac won't appear in my office until they prise
my cold dead fingers off my PC.
The fact Billy that your hardware and OS installation on your newest RIG is now 6 years old, that might account for the poor ripping speed:rolleyes:
just a thought

Dannz
28-12-2006, 12:45 PM
I have found another point that is making me head towards ipod, Rockbox is stable on it, which adds OGG codecs (along with many others). as far as i can tell, there is nothing for the zen.

dolby digital
28-12-2006, 01:20 PM
If you are into "trendy", just buy the Apple. You probably get more "street cred" that way :lol: . Those of us that are not into that, will do lots of research and, I might add, still might buy the Apple if its meets our needs the best.

Don't look to me for advice for an iPod like device. I still like producing my Sony Walkman to scare people at work (Thats sooooooo old etc etc I hear them say). Put hey, it does what I want it to do.

I have a friend that is sold on her 60GB iPod. She is so impressed at having a portable music collection. But its not on my list of wants or needs.

Tukapa
28-12-2006, 01:45 PM
Unfortunately if you are looking at anything over 20GB there is no such thing as an MP3 player only - they all incorporate video whether you want that or not. Perhaps there is a niche market there?

Anyways - looks like you are limited to either the Apple iPod, Creative Zen or Cowon iAudio series of player.

Fr sheer sound quality my preference is the Creative.

:2cents:

Billy T
28-12-2006, 01:56 PM
The fact Billy that your hardware and OS installation on your newest RIG is now 6 years old, that might account for the poor ripping speed:rolleyes:
just a thought
I don't think so, it runs clean & lean and handles graphics work OK so audio shouldn't slow it down too much. The only thing it draws the line at is converting video, for that I am building a new computer next year because I do recognise the need to modernise at some point and toss out the old W98 box.

JOOI, what do you call a normal ripping speed?

Cheers

Billy *<8-{)=

plod
28-12-2006, 01:56 PM
Unfortunately if you are looking at anything over 20GB there is no such thing as an MP3 player only - they all incorporate video whether you want that or not. Perhaps there is a niche market there?

Anyways - looks like you are limited to either the Apple iPod, Creative Zen or Cowon iAudio series of player.

Fr sheer sound quality my preference is the Creative.

:2cents:

sounds like we have a new breed of fanboy doing the rounds:eek:

noone
28-12-2006, 02:10 PM
I have found another point that is making me head towards ipod, Rockbox is stable on it, which adds OGG codecs (along with many others). as far as i can tell, there is nothing for the zen.

Rockbox is only stable on the 5th gen ipod, not the 5.5gen ipod - the one which you are buying.

noone
28-12-2006, 02:13 PM
The IAudioX5 has native support for OGG and FLAC codecs, if you add rockbox to this you can get true gapless (not the Ipods sudo via itunes gapless), cross fading etc. Plus the X5 has FM radio/recording/line in recording.

rogerp
28-12-2006, 02:19 PM
Hi All,

Cheers

I have purchased the same one an am very happy with it. However I also paid $50 extra for a 3 year warranty from DS, which I think is worth the extra investment. The guys at DS told me that if it does develop a defect such as a dead harddrive, dead battery or dead screen, and if it does, they give you a new one, and the latest model too. 30GB is more than enough space for me. I will neve buy another cheap mp3 player clone, after the last one I purchased which was very buggy. Ipods do consist of very high quality components inside them.

I have found itunes quite good, and like how you can download album covers. There are however alternatives to itunes that work with ipod.

The thing about the ipod, is that it is also a 'designer' product, with a great interface and click/scroll wheel, which other mp3 players don't have. If they do have it, then they have copied apple. I did also look at the creative players, but they appear to have just copied apples interface. Also I have had issues with creatives lack of software support with another creative product that I purchased.

I am a PC user, and would have perferred to buy something like the new Zune, but it is still too buggy, and I may wait until a few more generations, before I would look at them.

rogerp
28-12-2006, 02:28 PM
I'm suprised that no one has even suggested the humble PSP. Downgraded to 1.5 (Or Dev-Hooked), the PSP is more than capable of running almost any piece of homebrew, including several excellent media players. Considering $300 for the PSP + $200 for a 2gb MS Duo, a $500 Music Player/Movie Player/Game Console/Internet/Photo displayer its a good buy especially if you consider running homebrew on it. I use my PSP mostly for music and the sound quality is good, although a little quiet. Does anyone know of an application I can use to increase the volume of my music collection?

You can actually buy a harddrive attachment for the PSP. The PSP is nice, but is really a games player above everything, and is a bit too big to put in your pocket.

noone
28-12-2006, 02:38 PM
The thing about the ipod, is that it is also a 'designer' product, with a great interface and click/scroll wheel, which other mp3 players don't have. If they do have it, then they have copied apple. I did also look at the creative players, but they appear to have just copied apples interface. Also I have had issues with creatives lack of software support with another creative product that I purchased.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/05/15/creative.sues.apple/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4198360.stm

Also I have had issues with creatives lack of software support with another creative product that I purchased.

Lack of software support?, without uses hacks you cant use anything with the ipod apart from itunes, with the Creative players, you can use anything from the Supplied Media Source, WMP10/11, Media Monkey, Winamp, Windows Explorer.

rogerp
28-12-2006, 02:41 PM
Look at some comparisons (http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=creative+zen+vision+m+versus+ipod&btnG=Google+Search&meta=).

That is an old comparision. The new 5.5g ipod has a far brighter screen, longer battry life, and a new search facility, over the older ipod video.

noone
28-12-2006, 02:43 PM
http://dapreview.net/zune_vs_ipod_vs_zvm.html.

This comparison compares the 5.5gen with the Vision:M with the Zune

rogerp
28-12-2006, 02:45 PM
http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/05/15/creative.sues.apple/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4198360.stm

Lack of software support?, without uses hacks you cant use anything with the ipod apart from itunes, with the Creative players, you can use anything from the Supplied Media Source, WMP10/11, Media Monkey, Winamp, Windows Explorer.

Still, it is possible to not use itunes with an ipod, and it isn't difficult to find information on how to get it working. Personally I like the new itunes, and it seems a lot more reliable the WMP, which crashes on me a lot.

Tukapa
28-12-2006, 03:28 PM
sounds like we have a new breed of fanboy doing the rounds:eek:

Hmmm...opinion only. As stated early on in my posts :lol:

Metla
28-12-2006, 03:30 PM
I don't think so, it runs clean & lean and handles graphics work OK so audio shouldn't slow it down too much. The only thing it draws the line at is converting video, for that I am building a new computer next year because I do recognise the need to modernise at some point and toss out the old W98 box.

JOOI, what do you call a normal ripping speed?

Cheers

Billy *<8-{)=

Encoding is encoding, whether it be simply audio or audio plus video, Both will load up your cpu and I for one would expect a 6 year old system to blow its backside so to speak, The task will be asking everything from your cd drive to your Hard drive to run at max for how ever long it takes.

as for normal ripping speed, I would say about 1/3rd of the length of the track, but I probally should run a couple cd's through and see what happens.

plod
28-12-2006, 05:49 PM
right just done a test..

Album. guns and roses greatest hits
Album length 75.9 minutes
tracks. 14 Average track length 5.42 minutes
Import Time 7.26minutes
Average import time per track .51 seconds
iTunes 7.0.2
OS. 10.4.8 (tiger)
machine 1ghz G4 iMac 1gig of ram

Metla
28-12-2006, 06:43 PM
At what bitrate?

plod
28-12-2006, 07:01 PM
At what bitrate?sorry 192kbps

R2x1
28-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Use an in-house solution. Wait a few years and listen to your tinnitus. Lasts a lifetime, no batteries, and free. ;)

Dannz
28-12-2006, 09:50 PM
Well ive decided. iPod it is.
Now.. the decision, what do i get engraved on it :p (not that im asking for help now) just requires lots of thought, as its permanent

plod
28-12-2006, 09:58 PM
Well ive decided. iPod it is.
Now.. the decision, what do i get engraved on it :p (not that im asking for help now) just requires lots of thought, as its permanent

it will lower the resale value of it, unless its something like "MOM"

noone
28-12-2006, 10:12 PM
How much extra does engraving cost?

plod
28-12-2006, 10:14 PM
How much extra does engraving cost?

if it's from the omline apple store it's free

Dannz
28-12-2006, 10:25 PM
it will lower the resale value of it, unless its something like "MOM"

I don't care really, I dont think ill be selling it for a while... or my parents will take it, and not care.

Dannz
28-12-2006, 10:25 PM
if it's from the omline apple store it's free
Really good service i think :)

Metla
28-12-2006, 10:48 PM
Interesting, a 4 minute song just took me 12.1 seconds to rip to HD......

rogerp
28-12-2006, 10:56 PM
Really good service i think :)

Heres a list of some good ones. http://www.methodshop.com/mp3/articles/rejectedengraving/
Personally I wouldn't get it engraved, as if it is lost or stolen, you are unlikely to get it back anyway. :(

plod
28-12-2006, 10:56 PM

so, is that good bad or otherwise, using what program.
I have found it has a lot to do with the condition of the discs

Metla
28-12-2006, 11:01 PM
Good, bad or otherwise?.........Just faster then I expected.

Tried with Cdex and Windows Media Player, CD in new condition.

Billy T
29-12-2006, 10:28 AM
Well, I can't match that, and wouldn't expect to, but I do get a typical rip time of 20% of playtime, i.e. a 30 minute CD would take 5-6 minutes and I'm pretty happy with that. It is only a PIII 550 with 512MB RAM so I can't expect miracles.

I look forward to much faster processing when I get up to date early in the new year. I'm just assembling my want list, then I'll be seeking advice on how many terrible mistakes I am about to make! The only thing set in concrete so far is a Lian Li PC-1000A case, and the budget is up to $3000 but I expect to stay under $2750. OS will be XP-Pro which I already have.

I'm not looking for bleeding edge technology, solid reliability is the aim. The biggest demand will probably be the occasional flight sim session and that won't be the latest version with all the eye-candy either.

Cheers

Billy *<8-{)=

Dannz
29-12-2006, 11:08 AM
Personally I wouldn't get it engraved, as if it is lost or stolen, you are unlikely to get it back anyway. :(
Im not getting it engraved with my name, that wasnt what i planned.

plod
29-12-2006, 12:35 PM
Well, I can't match that, and wouldn't expect to, but I do get a typical rip time of 20% of playtime, i.e. a 30 minute CD would take 5-6 minutes and I'm pretty happy with that. It is only a PIII 550 with 512MB RAM so I can't expect miracles.

I look forward to much faster processing when I get up to date early in the new year. I'm just assembling my want list, then I'll be seeking advice on how many terrible mistakes I am about to make! The only thing set in concrete so far is a Lian Li PC-1000A case, and the budget is up to $3000 but I expect to stay under $2750. OS will be XP-Pro which I already have.

I'm not looking for bleeding edge technology, solid reliability is the aim. The biggest demand will probably be the occasional flight sim session and that won't be the latest version with all the eye-candy either.

Cheers

Billy *<8-{)=

so you can safely say it's not itunes holding you back but the hardware, you are just meeting the min spec for itunes

Greven
29-12-2006, 01:56 PM
so you can safely say it's not itunes holding you back but the hardware, you are just meeting the min spec for itunes

Itunes requires a minimum of 512mb RAM? I didn't realise it was that bloated.

I gave itunes a try, but found winamp more to my liking.

plod
29-12-2006, 03:36 PM
Itunes requires a minimum of 512mb RAM? I didn't realise it was that bloated.

I gave itunes a try, but found winamp more to my liking.

it needs to 256mb ram min, and a 500mhz processor. Surely you don't run your OS on min specs?
I imported the same disc again but closed all other apps, no difference in speed

Dannz
29-12-2006, 03:50 PM
oh dear.. how sidetracked... anyway
Im ordering the ipod on thursday when the banks are open (30gb ipod video - black, with engraving :) )

Thanks to all the replied.
You can go back to your debate about iTunes now :p

Metla
29-12-2006, 04:58 PM
512mb minimum for itunes?

That explains a lot, what a bloated piece of crap. The next apple fanboy to promote that pos should be tarred and feathered.

maccrazy
29-12-2006, 09:11 PM
iTunes 7 works fine on a 1GHz PowerBook with 256MB of RAM. I don't have a lower spec computer easily accessible to try it on, but it would probably be fine on lower specs (the older versions certainly were). I have iTunes running now and the Activity Monitor says it is using 34.58MB of system memory.

I'm sure you will enjoy your new iPod Daniel. :)

plod
29-12-2006, 09:14 PM
512mb minimum for itunes?

That explains a lot, what a bloated piece of crap. The next apple fanboy to promote that pos should be tarred and feathered.

it's actually 256mb

Metla
29-12-2006, 09:18 PM
meh, take your facts elsewhere...

.....muhahahahaha

plod
29-12-2006, 09:24 PM
meh, take your facts elsewhere...

.....muhahahahaha
well we shouldn't let facts get in the way of your bull**** statements should we
:rolleyes:

Metla
29-12-2006, 10:17 PM
Thats exactly my point, why repeat it?

Just to prove your a little slow on the uptake?

...............................HA.

rogerp
29-12-2006, 10:47 PM
oh dear.. how sidetracked... anyway
Im ordering the ipod on thursday when the banks are open (30gb ipod video - black, with engraving :) )

Thanks to all the replied.
You can go back to your debate about iTunes now :p

How come you don't get it from DSE, which is cheaper, and you can get a 3 year warranty for $50? If you get the 3 year apple warrenty on their website, it is over $100. Perhaps they are sold out, as I see some retailers only have white ones left which aren't as popular.

dolby digital
30-12-2006, 05:24 PM
There is an interesting article in the Dom Post today (Wgtn) about iPods and how Apple, in their wisdom, have now soldered the battery to the board. Previously, if the battery failed, you could get a technician to change the battery as it wasn't soldered, now it is, so as to make it harder to change... or is it to make it slightly more reliable. :waughh:

rogerp
30-12-2006, 06:01 PM
There is an interesting article in the Dom Post today (Wgtn) about iPods and how Apple, in their wisdom, have now soldered the battery to the board. Previously, if the battery failed, you could get a technician to change the battery as it wasn't soldered, now it is, so as to make it harder to change... or is it to make it slightly more reliable. :waughh:

Surely you can just unsolder it. I believe you can also send it to apple to get the battery replaced, but I think they then give you a reburbished unit. If they did this, and you send in your unscratched ipod in perfect condition, I would be pretty annoyed if they then sent back one which has scratches on it, and would probably want them to replace it with one in the same condition. I don't actually understand why they don' make the betteries replaceable, such as on your laptop, however I suppose they expect people to upgrade to a newer one when the battery dies. The non replaceable battery is the reason why many people don't like apple and ipods.

noone
30-12-2006, 06:05 PM
When ipod sends you back a reburished unit they give you a new body but with used/2nd hand/wateva, inside.

Why they dont offer replaceable batteries?, simple, if the battery dies, you have to go to them to replace it and they can charge loads for it.

winmacguy
31-12-2006, 05:01 PM
Anyone deciding to get a new iPod should wait till after Mac World Expo when all the new toys have been announced and any "old stuff" has had the price knocked down a bit.

"MacScoop is reporting that an 8-core Mac Pro is currently due for a January release. MacScoop also reports that a 4-core configuration may remain in Apple's lineup at a lower price point."

Ninjabear
31-12-2006, 06:38 PM
Can't quite find the Creative for that. Depending on where you are buying some DSE stores have minimal stock left at $498.

I can get the new 60GB Zen Vision:M for $554 + about $5 for freight.

Hmm yea

I can too get a 60GB Vision M at around $554

I also can get vision W 30 or 60GB if your interested

winmacguy
31-12-2006, 10:01 PM
Hate them, mock them, admire them do what ever you want, they are still the best selling MP3 player at Amazon.com for Christmas 3 years running, well that and a few other Apple products
http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/pc?tag2=reality

Tukapa
31-12-2006, 10:07 PM
Is your real name Steve Jobs?

noone
31-12-2006, 10:28 PM
Probably.

Ipod sells cause half the people who buy it want to be "cool and hip" rather then having a half decent mp3 player - im not saying its a bad mp3 player, im just saying their needs will be better suited if they looked past having white headphones in their ears and actually looked at the specs of the player.

winmacguy
01-01-2007, 12:30 AM
Is your real name Steve Jobs?

Possibly.
Don't forget that about 80%+ of iPod owners are also PC owners who just happen to like using something that looks good, is easy to carry around and is simple to use.

dolby digital
01-01-2007, 09:45 AM
Possibly.
who just happen to like using something that looks good, is easy to carry around and is simple to use.

Till it breaks, cracks, or the battery stops working.

Youse pays your money and takes your choice. :waughh:

winmacguy
01-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Till it breaks, cracks, or the battery stops working.

Youse pays your money and takes your choice. :waughh:

Fortunately while Apple has a legal monopoly over MP3 players (they have sold the most to date although they weren't the first company to produce an MP3 player), they are not the only player in town and as customers we are free to choose which MP3 player best suits our needs and price bracket from all of the manufacturers.

maccrazy
01-01-2007, 12:07 PM
Till it breaks, cracks, or the battery stops working. That can happen with any digital audio player though. My nano is around 15 months old and has been dropped multiple tiled floors with no visible breaks or cracks. The battery isn't as good as it was, but I don't see it getting to bad for a while yet. I know people have had bad experiences with this sort of thing, but it is only the small number angry people you heard from, not the millions of happy owners.

im just saying their needs will be better suited if they looked past having white headphones in their ears and actually looked at the specs of the player.It depends on what you place more importance on. For some it is specifications and the number of features the manufacture can cram in, for others it is ease of use, for others it is aesthetics, for others it is because it is a cool item to own. Specs are a factor, but for most people, the fact the alternative has a bigger screen or includes a radio may not be as important as the design and ease of use of the iPod. :)

Ninjabear
01-01-2007, 01:21 PM
My sister bought an Ipod nano in Hk.Battery stopped charging just over 10 months

I for myself stick with creative products

Ipod isn't bad but not my type of player

rogerp
01-01-2007, 01:24 PM
Anyone deciding to get a new iPod should wait till after Mac World Expo when all the new toys have been announced and any "old stuff" has had the price knocked down a bit.

"MacScoop is reporting that an 8-core Mac Pro is currently due for a January release. MacScoop also reports that a 4-core configuration may remain in Apple's lineup at a lower price point."

There is always a better model coming out. If you always waited you would never buy it. The best time to buy is now, if you want one now. Apple is very secretive about everyting, so anything is only speculation. I have heard that the next full size ipod, the screen will take up the whole surface, and it will be touch sensitive, or will have the button down the side of the screen. Personally the current model is a good one, because the screen on any of these players is alway going to be too small to watch a movie on, but is fine for viewing short video podcasts of tv shows. Making the screen too large will require a lot more battery power.

Greg
01-01-2007, 02:12 PM
It's not quite unanimous but the indictors are there... best advice is drop any Apple product like a lit firecracker and adopt an alternative.

winmacguy
01-01-2007, 03:42 PM
It's not quite unanimous but the indictors are there... best advice is drop any Apple product like a lit firecracker and adopt an alternative.

If it makes you a happy customer then go for it.:) (Just be prepared for some additional expense relating to TCO in some situations.)

noone
01-01-2007, 04:18 PM
A little comic relief

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6571

dolby digital
01-01-2007, 09:31 PM
A little comic relief

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6571

:lol: :lol:

Shortcircuit
01-01-2007, 09:47 PM
I liked the 'iPood...' one

but shouldn't it have been '...i took a P2' ?

winmacguy
01-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Still think Id prefer to be one of the 100 million around the globe who own an iPod and just play my music than be "lost" in the crown trying to find another brown Zune and "squirt" my songs to the owner;) The only other thing that comes close to that is not worthy of discussing on this forum.:D

SurferJoe46
02-01-2007, 05:29 AM
I don't get it...nor do I own any sort of MP3 player other than my desktop.

I don't really feel I need one, don't want to carry one around and have earbuds and wires hanging down.

Social misfit? Perhaps..but I really don't even have a cellphone either...just another leash and encumberance for me.

In transit, I have Hendrix and Santana in my Isuzu and K-5 when I want to make some noise...but that's because it's MY environment and I don't infringe upon the rights of others with my pollution...unless they ride with me and all bets are off.

When did life get so complicated that we have to have multiple "things" to entertain, inform and keep us in contact with the rest of humanity...and fear losing connection or not having enough bars on our cells?

I see people walking up and down the aisles of stores..talking furiously on their cells and asking if the "giant-economy sized" box of soap would be better.

I have personal experience of a young (blonde, female) driver sitting at a full stop and upon hearing the word "go" or "accelerate rapidly" in the cellphone conversation..did so and ran into the side of my wife's van. Zombied!

Maybe it's just my age, but what I see as "convienences" are nothing more than encumberances and hinderances to our mental sanity. These things are supposed to make our lives more simple (?) and easier (?) with an eye toward instant gratification and status....but I don't see it.

We have a large bird here in the States that collects pretty rocks, chunks of aluminum foil, bottle caps and pieces of string with the purpose of attracting a mate...Is this what it's all about?

But seriously..........Just a bunch of lemmings. :annoyed:

dolby digital
02-01-2007, 09:59 AM
I don't get it...nor do I own any sort of MP3 player other than my desktop.

I don't really feel I need one, don't want to carry one around and have earbuds and wires hanging down.

I still listen to cds at home, the radio in the car. I also don't own a mp3 player and don't intend to in the immediate future.

Its all about getting you to part with your hard earned cash, thats what marketing people are for (oh and sales people once you have walked in the door). I think the term "upsell" sums it up well. When you come into our store , online or physical, we want you to buy more than you intended to. So when you go to buy your iPod we want to sell you a more expensive one than you intended and lots of accessories and also you will need that extended warranty too, just in case. Want fries with that... oh sorry, this is a electrical store.

winmacguy
02-01-2007, 10:44 AM
I've got a horse and buggy cart with an axe and a load of wood to be chopped for the cooking fire in front of my hand build wooden settlers cottage if anyone is interested. ;)

dolby digital
02-01-2007, 11:38 AM
I've got a horse and buggy cart with an axe and a load of wood to be chopped for the cooking fire in front of my hand build wooden settlers cottage if anyone is interested. ;)

As long as you don't try and sell me the extended warranty on the buggy :lol:

You do realise that some people still live like that and a quite happy in doing so (least they don't have to deal with Dell support).

plod
02-01-2007, 11:49 AM
I still listen to cds at home, the radio in the car. I also don't own a mp3 player and don't intend to in the immediate future.

Its all about getting you to part with your hard earned cash, thats what marketing people are for (oh and sales people once you have walked in the door). I think the term "upsell" sums it up well. When you come into our store , online or physical, we want you to buy more than you intended to. So when you go to buy your iPod we want to sell you a more expensive one than you intended and lots of accessories and also you will need that extended warranty too, just in case. Want fries with that... oh sorry, this is a electrical store.

My reason behind owning a mp3 player(ipod) and it doesn't matter what sort you own. I gave up on cd players in the car after having 2 stolen, It's a great way of having music at a party( cds usually get trashed)

Shortcircuit
02-01-2007, 12:32 PM
I use my phone, however my phone cost considerably more than an iPlod... and sounds better :thumbs:

(note- all comparisons were carried out by an actual human under controlled conditions and no feelings were hurt during the making of the commercial, er sorry- review)

dolby digital
02-01-2007, 12:47 PM
My reason behind owning a mp3 player(ipod) and it doesn't matter what sort you own. I gave up on cd players in the car after having 2 stolen, It's a great way of having music at a party( cds usually get trashed)

Go for it. We all have different expectations and wants and needs. At this point, I don't want an mp3 player, I respect your choice, if you do.

I have just bought a HDD DVD recorder for the family (see another thread). Not every one wants one of those. Of course, my son wants an mp3 player; if I get a say, he won't get an iPod (runs and hides) :D

dolby digital
02-01-2007, 12:52 PM
I use my phone, however my phone cost considerably more than an iPlod... and sounds better :thumbs:

Don't get me started about mobile phone gizmos :waughh: Did I bore you with the details of the $100 USB cable, when I effectively paid $50 for the Nokia phone. I'm using infrared which cost me $18 plus far too much time to get going :eek:

Of course I respect your choice.

winmacguy
02-01-2007, 04:13 PM
As long as you don't try and sell me the extended warranty on the buggy :lol:

You do realise that some people still live like that and a quite happy in doing so (least they don't have to deal with Dell support).

Yes, in the north east of the US I believe.

winmacguy
02-01-2007, 04:16 PM
Of course, my son wants an mp3 player; if I get a say, he won't get an iPod (runs and hides) :D

And they say that parents know best......hmmmm ya think?!

dolby digital
02-01-2007, 09:27 PM
And they say that parents know best......hmmmm ya think?!
Of course we do... :confused: when he starts nagging to get an Xbox, I'll only get it, if I can hack it (of course he might want a Sony).

Apple haven't got into gaming consoles yet have they (iGame??????)

bob_doe_nz
02-01-2007, 10:22 PM
(of course he might want a Sony).

Well, the PS3's over in America are not selling very well at all now. It might be worthwhile getting one from there:xmouth:

winmacguy
02-01-2007, 11:27 PM
Apple haven't got into gaming consoles yet have they (iGame??????)

Not yet...... doesn't mean that they won't.

Get the software right first and then the hardware. Doesn't have to be a console. You can play very basic games on the iPod now.
The Woz originally wrote some of the first ever games for the original Apple computer back in the 70's.

Greven
03-01-2007, 02:57 AM
The Woz originally wrote some of the first ever games for the original Apple computer back in the 70's.

Quite a sad story behind breakout.

winmacguy
03-01-2007, 07:22 AM
Quite a sad story behind breakout.

:confused:

Dannz
03-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Well, i went and got it.
$658 (80gb video, and a case) will arrive on the 11th.

Thanks all :)

winmacguy
03-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Congrats DanielF. Welcome aboard :) Welcome to the Real Social ;)
Just remember to keep a look out for all the other cool stuff that will be announced on the 9th! (Well the 10th NZST)

bob_doe_nz
03-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Well, i went and got it.
$658 (80gb video, and a case) will arrive on the 11th.

Thanks all :)

$658!!!???:waughh: :xmouth:

Dannz
03-01-2007, 03:13 PM
$600 for the ipod, $58 for the case.

Greg
03-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Certified head-case? I thought that came free! :dogeye:

winmacguy
03-01-2007, 04:27 PM
3rd party case not made by Apple. On another note why doesn't Office come for FREE when you buy Windows? ;) After all MS makes BOTH.

Greven
03-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Quite a sad story behind breakout.:confused:

When Steve Jobs worked at Atari, the company was working on creating the arcade game Breakout, which required 80 Integrated Circuits (ICs). The less ICs there were, the cheaper the games would be to produce, so Nolan Bushnell (Atari's president) offered $100 for every IC that could be knocked out of the design. Jobs brought Woz the challenge, and over four days and nights at Atari they put together a design that only required 30 ICs. Bushnell gave Jobs his $5000 bonus, which Jobs "split" with Wozniak by telling him it was a $700 bonus, giving him "half," or $350. Woz was delighted, but years later found out the truth. And cried.
http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/hackers/steve-wozniak/

My memory was a bit off. I thought that he made breakout for the original apple computer.

winmacguy
03-01-2007, 05:13 PM
http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/hackers/steve-wozniak/

My memory was a bit off. I thought that he made breakout for the original apple computer.

Thanks for the refresher Greven, it was in the book iCon. Something tells me that Steve Jobs personality must be very much like that of House. He is brilliant but can tend to have the personality of a fish although his wife would probably say differently.

Interestingly enough one of the main differences between Steve Jobs and Bill Gates (amoung other things) is that Bill Gates can read and write code- Steve Jobs can't so Bill Gates while being a very bright intellectual will have a vastly different approach to using and designing a GUI compared to Steve Jobs (who actually grabbed the original Mac GUI design off of Jeff Raskin who was designing it at the time).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Raskin