PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Speed

Mike_C
27-12-2006, 05:26 PM
I have upgarded (6 weeks ago) my plan from 2MB/s to 7+ MB/s. When I was on the 2 MB/s plan I almost always got near perfect upload and download speed (ie 1.8+MB/s & 128 kbs). I know for a fact that there are only a few people operating on the ADSL circuit that I am on and this has not changed.

Since upgrading my connection still continues to perform exactly the same as before (ie a near perfect 1.8+MB/s & 128 kb/s) - I have no expectation of it reaching 7+ MB/s but I would certainly expect it to exceed if only momentarily the 2MB/s speed for downloading.

IHUG are of little help (I now email sales and accounts to get service from the helpdesk), they keep sending out a sheet full of garbage about users and peak times etc - I keep telling them that nothing has changed and it continues to perform perfectly (as if it were a 2MB/s plan)......

This suggest to me that one of three things are happening

(1) somehow my computer (dual core 6300, 1 GB Ram, Win XP) and modem (Dynalink 502T) is somehow restricting the traffic to 2MB/s - unlikely as I have tried another modem with the same results.....
(2) IHUG are limiting the speed from their server.....they assure me this is not the case
(3) Telecom are restricting the speed through the port at the exchange

Anyone have any ideas of what is preventing my speed to increasing beyond the 2MB/s limit?????

Term_X
27-12-2006, 05:43 PM
Gday Mike

What does your modem report as the connection speed? Sounds like you're on the Broadband 4 plan which is what im on. My modem reports a connection speed of approx 4000 kb/s and this is pretty much what i max out to.

Hard to believe you havent had a reasonable increase in speed though. Sounds too much of a coincidence to be still getting exactly the same speed.

Mike_C
27-12-2006, 05:47 PM
Hi

My modem shows it is connected at its maximum speed 100MB/s. It is also connected by ethernet cable to the computer as opposed to USB.......

qazwsxokmijn
27-12-2006, 05:58 PM
Ihug sucks and is rarely honest. That's the problem.

Term_X
27-12-2006, 06:04 PM
Mike

Did you double click on the net icons in the task tray? That will always say 100Mb/s :)

What you need to do is in your browser , is enter 10.1.1.1, ive got the same router as yourself.

Then when the main settings box appears click on the "Status" tab

Now click on the "Adsl" link on the vertical list on the left.

Youll see the actual connection settings.

What data rate is showing as "Downstream"? eg mine shows as 4330 and upstream shows as 544. These figures are usually dependent on the distance from the exchange . 6000 for downstream would be really good and anything close to 800 for upstream .

From what youre saying, i would expect to see something like 2000 for downstream and 128 for upstream

Mike_C
28-12-2006, 02:45 PM
Data Rate downstream 6688
Upstream 160

However on every data test I do, I still cannot break the 2 MB/s download - (just tested a server from Auckland and got 1875 kbs, from Sydney 1927 kbs with both uploads at 131 kbs)

I still feel that cracking the 2MB/s barrier shoudl be quite easy, and something somewhere is blocking my connection.

Thanks for your help

Term_X
28-12-2006, 04:10 PM
hmm, 6688 from those stats mike, you should be getting perhaps not 6Mb/s but geez wayyyy more than the 1875 kb's download bandwidth. Interesting that you get similar speeds both for auckland and seednee .

I agree, something doesnt add up. There must be a block as you say somewhere. Youve obviously checked your pc over. Are you running a software firewall with built in speed limiting options? Maybe its an exchange problem? Ihug problem?

perhaps some more knowledgable forum visitors have some other clues as where else to look!

Nomad
28-12-2006, 05:17 PM
I am getting the same thing as well, tried on the other computer as well when modem router shifted to it.

Router says 6.4Mbit approx I get avg of 1.8-2.0 Mbit. Anytime of the day morning, afternoon or evening makes no diff. I emailed Xnet and they are now onto Telecom, Xnet says I should be getting more than that.

N.

Mike_C
28-12-2006, 08:51 PM
I honestly believe that this is a telecom issue, and that they have no yet reset all the ADSL ports at their exchanges.......I glad others agree that something doesn't add up.....

jd74
28-12-2006, 09:24 PM
I honestly believe that this is a telecom issue, and that they have no yet reset all the ADSL ports at their exchanges.......I glad others agree that something doesn't add up.....

I had the same problem when I was with IHUG, but I noticed they slipped well before that.

Changed to Xtra and now have good speed and wicked pings. IHUG was not prepared for this and they were being sold, suprised it has not improved.

jermsie
29-12-2006, 01:46 AM
I believe telecom are restricting speeds, i get 4.6mbps anytime on a 6624kbps line.
Anyway, you might want to try a tiny wee tool called TCP Optimiser, sometimes that helps, it has for a notebook and my pc at home