PDA

View Full Version : Wireless security

Nomad
27-12-2006, 02:17 PM
Hi,

I have just set up the my first wifi. Internet is working, not much speed diff really, just gotta see copying a file across the network ..

SSID broadcast is off, I used the manufacturer software Linksys to see the SSID, there is none at my house, ...

My question. PPle can see your SSID (if on) and then it ask for a WEP or WPA. If pple cannot guess your WPA or WEP, is it ok to leave the defaults for the admin login/pssword for the router and your own windows network login? I probably would have one set but want to know is it ok for the avg person out there.

In terms of windows networking (via wireless) I take it they will have to know your SSID and then your WEP/WPA before they can do anything or even browse the network neighbourhood right?

Thanks.

PS. My router firewall is on and SSID is off broadcast, WPA is on, windows login passsword is on and the router login password has been changed.

SolMiester
27-12-2006, 02:41 PM
Hi Nomad, MS recommends leaving SSID broadcast on, as wireless clients actually broadcast it anyway!
I think you should ALWAYS change admin name and pw.
If your hardware supports WPA, use it! I use WPA-PSK as in a shared phrase network key.
If you wish to make more secure, use MAC filtering for wireless clients, where you input the MAC address of your NIC for each wireless client, then only those devices can connect to the router.

Of course, all security is subject to hackers, you just hope there isnt that many around that can bypass your security.

Nomad
27-12-2006, 03:44 PM
Yup, MAC filter is on.
I have WPA PSK. I took a paraphrase out of print of something .. hehe..

I fired up the wifi card, one PC has it and the other doesn't it just has the router hard wired. I viewed SSID in my area/neighbours/neighbourhood, there was none ... umm.....