PDA

View Full Version : Replacing ADSL modem/router cable

Nomad
26-12-2006, 09:55 PM
Hi

Can a dialup modem cable be used for the ADSL modem/router?
I think the ADSL is a 2 wire one and my dialup modem cable is a 4 wire one.
It has been working fine to 2Mbps.

The reason I ask is that in my room I plan to have the router/modem but I do not want a phone there. My router/modem provides a cable which has the same plug end at both ends (the cable end that goes to the wall/filter is the same shape/size as the end that goes into the modem). It would save buying an extra line filter just to plug the ADSL cable in leaving the phone socket empty.

Thanks.

Graham L
27-12-2006, 05:51 PM
The only reason for a "filter" there is so that you can plug a phone into the filtered output socket. The "RJ" socket provided for the ADSL connection from the filter is connected directly to the line.

I'm pretty sure that you can use the dialup modem cable to go from the BT connector to the ADSL modem. Check the 2-wire RJ-RJ cable. If the two wires are on the inner two connectors on the plugs, you will be fine.

Billy T
27-12-2006, 06:25 PM
I'm not sure that the cable capacitance would be acceptable, and it might not have the necessary frequency rating for DSL, so use might slow the connection down, but it is probably worth a try.

Cheers

Billy *<8-{)=

Trev
27-12-2006, 07:50 PM
I'm useing the same cable for my ADSL router that I use to use for my dial up modem with no problems.

Trevor :)

Safari
27-12-2006, 08:00 PM
I'm not sure that the cable capacitance would be acceptable, and it might not have the necessary frequency rating for DSL, so use might slow the connection down, but it is probably worth a try.

Cheers

Billy *<8-{)=

Why would it not work, the rest of the house has normal phone cable to the jackpoints and many people use normal phone extension leads for their DSL router.
You need to think simply and logically sometimes instead of confusing things with science.

Greven
27-12-2006, 10:39 PM
I think the 4 wires are just part of the RJ11 standard & only 2 are actually used, so it shouldn't make a difference.

The only problem would be if your house was wired with the old 3 wire system.