PDA

View Full Version : Lost pics.

Cicero
26-12-2006, 05:48 PM
Selected all and watched as a slide show,lovely, then clicked (I thought )on one pic to delete,blow me,deleted the lot,other day saw that it was possible to recover these,help would be much appreciated.

Tukapa
26-12-2006, 05:51 PM
Are they still in the recycle bin? If you haven't emptied the recycle bin you should be able to recover them from there (providing you don't have your comp set to delete without using the recycle bin).

Cicero
26-12-2006, 05:56 PM
Are they still in the recycle bin? If you haven't emptied the recycle bin you should be able to recover them from there (providing you don't have your comp set to delete without using the recycle bin).
Thanks Tako,
First place I looked prior to posting,pics not in there.
SWMBO took these in Dunedin yesterday,as yet she is unaware of predicament.

R2x1
26-12-2006, 05:58 PM
Oh darn, where's the dog going to sleep tonight?

Tukapa
26-12-2006, 06:00 PM
Had they been transferred to the PC or were you viewing them from the memory card?

Cicero
26-12-2006, 06:01 PM
Oh darn, where's the dog going to sleep tonight?

Helpful as always,thank you R2 d2

Cicero
26-12-2006, 06:02 PM
Had they been transferred to the PC or were you viewing them from the memory card?
Viewing from card.

Tukapa
26-12-2006, 06:05 PM
You could try this (freeware - I haven't tried it personally)

http://www.z-a-recovery.com/digital-image-recovery.htm?xurl=digital_image_recovery.htm&xparam=

Or this (not freeware - PM me to get it running if you want to try - a data recovery program I have used with some success)

http://www.recovermyfiles.com/

HTH

trig42
26-12-2006, 08:03 PM
getdataback works really well too. http://www.runtime.org

developer
26-12-2006, 08:29 PM
You can use a file recover program to recover deleted files. You need to avoid writing a large amount of data before doing so, because the old data is only recoverable if it is not replaced by new data.

kiwikeith
26-12-2006, 11:53 PM
Where the heck is swannanoa?
If you are in the Auckland region i regularly recover files from formatted memory cards..ring me at Camera House Shore City Takapuna..4863311..i work from 10am till 2pm..i have the software on my computer at home,charge is $30 cash,no recovery,no charge.
Keith

Laura
27-12-2006, 01:20 AM
Swannanoa is in Canterbury.

Cicero
27-12-2006, 10:07 AM
I tried the programs as suggested but was unable to recover pics.
Sorry to say,these sorts of programs never seem to ask me to do things which I quite understand,so anyway folks I really appreciate all your help,but thus far I haven't mentioned to SWMBO.

hagrid
27-12-2006, 10:38 AM
Swannanoa is in Canterbury.

But alas, I fear that it will soon be in Coventry, as a great silence will befall.

FoxyMX
27-12-2006, 10:52 AM
Try the recovery programs suggested the other day in Billy's thread (http://www.pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=74899). The one I suggested, Digital Photo Recovery: photorec.exe, has been mentioned a few times in the past as being very good.

I hope you haven't been using that card since deleting the photos as your chances of success will diminish significantly.

Scouse
27-12-2006, 11:00 AM
Hi C. I'm probably twice your age and hate to force experience on anyone -but do believe that the sooner you tell SWMBO the better...... with sympathy.:cool:

FoxyMX
27-12-2006, 11:10 AM
Yeah, tonight Scouse. But let him have one (or three) more tries first. ;)

Billy T
27-12-2006, 12:15 PM
Hi Ciccy

Whatever you do, don't write to the card, and tell SWMBO asap! A couple of days of silence might be a blessing while you work out how to use the programs.

If you check the link Foxy provided to my thread you will find my final summary, and that all the programs I used worked well, but one recovered more data than any other. That is not necessarily a good thing, especially if your card has oodles of deleted photos going back many months, as mine did.

I suggest that you create a folder in your computer, copy two or three image files to it, delete them, then practice finding your way around the recovery programs to recover them until you are confident that you know what you are doing. Then go back to the card and try again.

It is not rocket science, but I acknowledge that the instructions for most programs can use a little work to make them user friendly.

Cheers

Billy *<8-{)=

Cicero
27-12-2006, 01:32 PM
We have visitors at the moment,hence the delay in getting back to you all and sorting prob.
I have used third program.....digital image recovery,it says ir has recovered and delivered to documents and settings,so went there and found what appeared to be my pics,but they are there as NTUSER dat file and of course can't be opened.
Will give B's idea a go,but don't like my chances.

Billy T
27-12-2006, 01:49 PM
I have used third program.....digital image recovery,it says ir has recovered and delivered to documents and settings,so went there and found what appeared to be my pics,but they are there as NTUSER dat file and of course can't be opened.

That's not your photos, they will be recovered an numbered JPG files. Make a new folder on the root (straight off C:/) and call it "all recovered images" or something similarly identifiable, specify that as the destination for your recovered files then try again. All the programs I tried allowed me to specify where they went once recovered.

Using an A as the first letter of the file name brings it to the top of the tree and makes it easier to find. AA is even better.

Cheers

Billy *<8-{)=

Cicero
27-12-2006, 07:57 PM
That's not your photos, they will be recovered an numbered JPG files. Make a new folder on the root (straight off C:/) and call it "all recovered images" or something similarly identifiable, specify that as the destination for your recovered files then try again. All the programs I tried allowed me to specify where they went once recovered.

Using an A as the first letter of the file name brings it to the top of the tree and makes it easier to find. AA is even better.

Cheers

Billy *<8-{)=
Well B your instructions were spot on,I now have pics and am still in one piece.
Must say all clever stuff.
Thanks to you all, you were and are great,phew.:thumbs:

FoxyMX
28-12-2006, 09:30 AM
So was it actually Digital Photo Recovery that saved your bacon?

And did you confess in the end? ;)

Cicero
28-12-2006, 03:14 PM
So was it actually Digital Photo Recovery that saved your bacon?

And did you confess in the end? ;)

Digital Image Recovery was the one I used and understood most,T made the difference.
I confessed and took credit for brilliance of recovery.That look of adoration was something to behold.

Make that Billy T not T,sorry.

FoxyMX
28-12-2006, 05:05 PM
Digital Image Recovery was the one I used and understood most,T made the difference.

Sweet, another feather in DIR's cap then. :cool:

I think Billy drinks Glenfiddich by the way. ;)

I confessed and took credit for brilliance of recovery.That look of adoration was something to behold.

I'm sure the look of relief on your face would have been more interesting. Pity you didn't take a picture. :p :D

Cicero
29-12-2006, 05:46 PM
Sweet, another feather in DIR's cap then. :cool:

I think Billy drinks Glenfiddich by the way. ;)

I'm sure the look of relief on your face would have been more interesting. Pity you didn't take a picture. :p :D
I did take a pic Fox,but accidentally deleted!

Billy T
29-12-2006, 09:45 PM
Send me a full bottle of Glenfiddich Ciccy and I'll send you a photo of the empty when I've finished.

You better pay up pronto, or Foxy will tell Mrs Ciccy that you did it on purpose and only changed your mind and recovered them (at huge expense) because you like your neck the way it feels right now.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

Cicero
30-12-2006, 09:44 AM
I was going to send the above,but thought no,must save B from the demon drink and the hint of blackmail sealed my course of action.

Billy T
30-12-2006, 06:41 PM
I was going to send the above, but thought no, must save B from the demon drink and the hint of blackmail sealed my course of action.
Arrrggghhhh..........Why do people keep trying to save me from myself? :mad:

Blackmail is such an ugly word, but then, so is Mrs Ciccy's wrath I am sure. If she is anything like Mrs T, you wouldn't be allowed to forget it for as long as she was still drawing breath.

Anyway, I don't mind you not sending Foxy a Glenfiddich, but why must I continue to endure whatever it is I'm trying to forget (I can't recall right now).

I'll never forget it if I can't wrap my tonsils around some good malt Scotch!

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :waughh: