PDA

View Full Version : VOIP voice delay

disciple
25-12-2006, 08:01 PM
Hi, I have just joined 'voipbuster.com which is working ok. I can txt 027 mobiles for 10c instead of 20c from my 021. I can also telephone any land line in NZ for free.
My question is: I am using a USB:waughh: Dick Smith Phone that is going fine, but I get a latency lag with the voice, which means the other party often talks over my voice which is OK for me, but hard for the other party to comprehend sometimes. I am using a Puretek 3808 ADSL Modem which is about 3 years old. I was wondering if the delay may be caused because of the old modem or does VOIP always have a small voice delay.
Regards.
Disciple.

winmacguy
25-12-2006, 08:06 PM
There shouldn't be any or only a very slight delay with VOIP depending on the bandwidth you have available - the more the better. It could be down to the routers on the network.

somebody
25-12-2006, 08:19 PM
There shouldn't be any or only a very slight delay with VOIP depending on the bandwidth you have available - the more the better. It could be down to the routers on the network.

VOIP in itself usually has very little in the way of latency with modern hardware and software. The free software Skype which allows you to make PC-PC VOIP calls demonstrates this quite well.

However, I have been using Voipbuster for a while, and the latency appears to be inherent with whatever system they're using. I get a very long delay (often up to 1 second), regardless of whether I'm on my fast ADSL connection (which gets advertised speeds, with low pings), or my slow Woosh connection. I suspect that the data is being sent halfway across the world, then back again, before being un-digitised back to normal analogue phone signal. It is very unlikely that it is due to your hardware or system settings.

If you want cheap voice calls, those prepaid calling cards from firms like Chitel, GoTalk etc. are quite good - very little latency, at very low per-min rates.

winmacguy
25-12-2006, 08:25 PM
I was wondering if the delay may be caused because of the old modem or does VOIP always have a small voice delay.
Regards.
Disciple.
I don't know if it is any different, but have you tried Skype?

msnforum
27-12-2006, 02:45 PM
I'm using a free voip where I can call landlines in most countries for free without paying a single cent. Even though I know voip is free but I still want to confirm you guys that if they say free trial, will they(telecom) still charge you for the calls you make from the pc to phone? I don't want a big bill in the end even though i know telecom won't charge you for that. Knowing the truth earlier is better than later.

disciple
27-12-2006, 08:21 PM
Thanks to all for the Info. I am also using italk from Slingshot that works fine without voice delay using a sip device(grandstream 486) at 5c per min national or international. I do get a dropped word sometimes but very little voice delay if any. voipbuster seems good because I can ring friends NZ nationally for free.
I guess I could reprogram my sip device and test the voipbuster through it.
I am using a linksys wireless router to the PC with the voipbuster on, perhaps that is another reason for the voice delay. I may also try Skype, but need to buy some Skype out first. Have to watch the penny's over Christmas eh!
I will post the outcome when I get to try it in a few weeks. (going on a break).
Disciple

SurferJoe46
27-12-2006, 08:50 PM
Why even use VOIP?

I use GChat and then click on the "Call" button and have calls to Bulgaria and even people here in the US and Canada...oh, and England too with no appreciable latency at all.

All it takes is a speaker set and a microphone..very cheap.

There may be an argument for the ability to call an actual phone with VOIP.....

......but if you think about it...having a puter on the other end is getting so normal any more that I don't see any disadvantage to only being able to communicate puter-to-puter.

...and here's another plus...you can sorta text and speak at the same time....even to two different people....just use the IM area and speak in a normal voice while the call goes on as normal. I can communicate with two or three people that way at a time.

I don't like to have too many irons running at the same time though...too taxing.

Renmoo
27-12-2006, 10:09 PM
I'm using a free voip where I can call landlines in most countries for free without paying a single cent. Even though I know voip is free but I still want to confirm you guys that if they say free trial, will they(telecom) still charge you for the calls you make from the pc to phone? I don't want a big bill in the end even though i know telecom won't charge you for that. Knowing the truth earlier is better than later.
What free VoIP are you refering here?

Cheers :)

Chilling_Silence
28-12-2006, 09:38 AM
SurferJoe: Its just marketing hype, some people like the 'idea' that they're using a phone.. Ive also been doing voice-voice through the likes of MSN Messenger and similar programs for countless years now. The problem is that many people have limited computer experience and seem to comprehend things better when you hand them a USB-Phone and say "Here, Dial!" as opposed to having a mic/headset placed on their head and you saing "Here, click these buttons on the virtual phone to dial". Its exactly the same thing, some people just dont _want_ to use anything other than a phone look-alike because it scares them (pathetic yes, but I know many friends of mine fall into that category).

voipbuster looks identical to voipstunt if you ask me... Ive used the paid version of voipstunt and it too lags. I have no idea why, but you get used to it, and if you're talking for a long time you seem to become oblivious to it. Its not just you Disciple, dont worry.

There are certain other programs out there like Skype which has slightly more expensive rates, but doesnt lag... or there's the likes of xLite, which has no encryption in the free version (dodgy if you ask me), but is also of similar quality calls to skype.

Harsh words, but you get what you pay for with the cheap calls. If you cant bear it, try forking out a lil extra for Skype... or a Calling Card from your landline, they're cheap but as mentioned, dont seem to lag as badly!

Hope this helps

Chill.