PDA

View Full Version : Laptop 98 reinstall goes wrong..

beetle
25-12-2006, 07:29 PM
IBM Thinkpad laptop original had 98 then someone tried to put xp on it, and couldnt, so we working backwards. to what did work.

Ok so trying to fix a wonky xp install by putting the 98 version back on it.

does a reinstall and restarts and add hardware sys checks comes up copies files etc, does a nother restart and says cant copy files.
it has gone thro the windows first start up and other such processes.....

The file infrared.cnt on win 98 second ed cannot be found.
set up cannot find the file on specified path. If path appear below make sure it is correct. click ok to try copying again.
copy files from C:/WINDOWS?SYSTEM?PRECOPY

goes round and round on this. also says at times cannot find another file. what have we done wrong? and where or how do we fix this?

ok so two noobs trying this, any help would greatly be appreciated.

beetle

winmacguy
25-12-2006, 08:03 PM
I take it the copy of XP was an update copy only as opposed to the full version.
All I can say is what a way to make life hard.
>crawls off and weeps quietly in a corner<

R2x1
25-12-2006, 08:14 PM
Xp on an original Thinkpad - very optimistic. And doomed. Have you got the IBM specific system CD? It may have quite a few necessary system files, a standard Win 98 CD probably won't work.
Good luck ;)
PS Chocolate truffles are rather good. :D

pctek
25-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Geez Beetle. Why didn't you use the recovery CDs/Partition?
It possibly has a hidden parition too.
If no recovery CDs then you need to fdisk, delete all partitions, format, install Windows then have the joy of hunting down all its drivers and installing them.

Throw it away and get a new one.

winmacguy
25-12-2006, 08:28 PM
Throw it away and get a new one.

I was going to say the same thing but I thought I'd be polite

beetle
25-12-2006, 08:39 PM
cos it was gronked before i got it. and didnt no there would be cd / partition there.
comes with no intruction books just a 98 cd.

its gone thro the format stage, and went to reboot for final set up install bit.......
so i cant do anything?

shut down and start again? will i be able to install anything on it?

beetle:rolleyes:

winmacguy
25-12-2006, 08:47 PM
Might be an easier and cheaper option to put Linux on it if you can. Or use it as a door stop and save your self some grief and frustration.

drcspy
26-12-2006, 01:53 AM
he file infrared.cnt on win 98 second ed cannot be found

so........at this point and the other files it 'cant find' it's just lookin for drivers that are not built into the win98 install program......just clik cancel and load em after you've got 98 installed.....i get the same message plenty of times installing lots of operating systems......it's not a problem.....you may need to find the motherboard cd to get the drivers later or else identify the exact componentry and download em from the makers site.....not difficult really at all

beetle
27-12-2006, 04:05 PM
Ok a few more questions.............it seems to be installed, but always asks what to boot off on start up............ how do i fix that.

and it cant find a modem........and googling doesnt help me. and it only 128 ram according to the sys specs. which i take it isnt big enuf to run XP?

i find 98 a pain in the neck to use...........so use to xp, is there a way i can put xp on this thing? and cos i cant find modem i cant get on the net for drivers............ but ya know it doesnt worry me, its all learning right....... first time ive reinstalled a os so i think i doing well so far cos i can work me way round the pc............just need a wee bit more hand holding........:p cos im sure ill kill it eventually...........nothing lost nothing gained i guess...

:D

does any one else out there have one of these things? or even a book for one? when all else fails instructions may help:p

beetle

Jen
27-12-2006, 04:17 PM
Go to the IBM website and search for the laptop model number. See if you can find suitable modem drivers you can download and then transfer it to the laptop. Otherwise, post the specific laptop model number here and we will see what we can find.

With the boot menu, is it giving a list such as normal, safe mode, etc or something else?

Give up on trying to put WinXP on it, it would be awfully slow with 128MB RAM. There is nothing wrong with Win98 as a usable OS. It just doesn't have all the eye candy XP does.

beetle
27-12-2006, 04:27 PM
I was at IBM website, got way lost, and redirected.............

ok did a restart and it now comes up with this..

start up says windows 98 screen then cannot find a device file that may be needed to run or find a windows application.... The windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device but the device file no longer exists.... etc
its looking for ? vnetbios.vxd

hit any key to continue.

then it starts....... no longer asks for what device to boot from so i must have fixed that, goes to desktop start screen.

id just like it to run 98 nicely, and it badly needs a real mouse..

it just feels fiddly and slow because of the silly button mouse thing in middle..
I think model number is IBM Thinkpad 390X

ill keep searching.

thanxs.

beetle

Jen
27-12-2006, 04:34 PM
You can find your modem driver here (http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-4C5TT7) for that laptop.

You can also find all the other drivers and download tools available for the 390X here (http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/product.do?subcategoryind=0&familyind=50218&brandind=10&doccategoryind=0&modelind=0&doctypeind=9&validate=true&partnumberind=0&sitestyle=lenovo&template=%2Fproductpage%2Flandingpages%2FproductPa geLandingPage.vm&operatingsystemind=50955&machineind=0). :)

pctek
27-12-2006, 04:42 PM
start up says windows 98 screen then cannot find a device file that may be needed to run or find a windows application.... The windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device but the device file no longer exists.... etc
its looking for ? vnetbios.vxd

Edit the registry and do a search for that and delete it.
Then follow Jens directions......

beetle
27-12-2006, 04:52 PM
ok doing a check on this....instructions here........has not Modem setting?

HOW TO DETERMINE WHAT VERSION IS INSTALLED (Windows 95/98):
1. Start Windows 95/98.
2. Click on 'Start' -> 'settings' -> 'Control Panel'
3. Open the 'System' Icon.
4. Click on the 'Device Manager' Tab. (i get to here and it doesnt have this next option...........)
5. Expand the 'Modem' section
6. Select "Lucent Win Modem" and click on 'Properties'.
7. Click on the 'Driver' Tab.
8. Click on the 'Driver File details' button.
9. Highlight the file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LTMODEM.VXD. The file has the version number embedded. For example:
- The version is displayed as "File version: 5.44"

so does that mean i dont have one or i cant see it?
and if i download it on peach....... save to cd and transfer that way?

if its there....:rolleyes:

and Tekky edit the registry? no such thing as simple life for beets a......

may need help on that one.

beetle

Jen
27-12-2006, 05:04 PM
Those instructions were for determining your current modem driver version. Just download the mdltis32.exe to the desktop and then copy across to the laptop using a CD. You may wish to also download other drivers you will be needing now which can be copied across at the same time.

This document states what drivers you need to install as well: Installing software for Windows 98 - ThinkPad 390X ( http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4BXSX2).
quote:
You need to install at least the following device drivers if you are restoring your ThinkPad computer to its original state at the time of purchase:

1. ThinkPad Configuration program
2. Display driver
3. Audio device driver
4. TrackPoint driver
5. ThinkPad modem driver
6. ThinkPad UltraBay FX hot/warm swap driver.

You should be able to find those drivers listed on that link I gave before.

beetle
27-12-2006, 05:05 PM
Ok managed to find the lucent modem in the list ............

so going to manually set up internet and it says..cannot load the remote Network access library (RASAPI32.DLL) the following error occured.
The system cannot find the specified file.

currently googling......... sigh............just as well i dont charge for time...... and i much appreciate the help you are giving me.......

ok.........i just a wee bit slower in the thinking.... thanxs.

beetle:waughh:

beetle
27-12-2006, 07:37 PM
feels like i going round in circles............ got drivers or most of them and went to install and then one says requires to be downloaded to disk.....sigh.
and some of the others...........cant find where it downloaded to....... sigh operator blindness on that one.

mite give up for today....... still goes thro cannot find window file etc, i dont know how to change the registry so will be put on another days job.
thanxs for you help today.

beetle:rolleyes:

SurferJoe46
27-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Beetle:

My IBM 386 Stinkpad is holding the door open in my closet nowadays. It isn't really good at that either.