PDA

View Full Version : Good Pc Temperature ???

Robisx
25-12-2006, 04:39 PM
Hi, i am new to this temperature thing so i was wondering if my cpu temperature is ok at idle i run at around 35c-40c. while playing games i run at 51c. i have a intel core 2 duo E6600 2.4Ghz processor, and i overclocked it to 2.54ghz. are my temperatures ok or do i need to un-overclock ???. Please respond to me and tell me if my temperatures are either to hot or if they are just fine.

P.S. -- i was also playing Quake 4 and my comp. froze up, i dont know if it got overheated or not but it did it to me twice. i also was running another computer right next to me so i wonder if that was the prob. i have an 8800gts BTW.

Big John
25-12-2006, 05:04 PM
Hi, i am new to this temperature thing so i was wondering if my cpu temperature is ok at idle i run at around 35c-40c. while playing games i run at 51c. i have a intel core 2 duo E6600 2.4Ghz processor, and i overclocked it to 2.54ghz. are my temperatures ok or do i need to un-overclock ???. Please respond to me and tell me if my temperatures are either to hot or if they are just fine.

What program are you using to monitor it?

Mine runs at Core Temps at about the same on my 6700 and they are fine.

Robisx
25-12-2006, 06:20 PM
im using the default program that came with it called "abit uGuru" i have a abit aw9d max motherboard. i had to drop down the overclock and now it runs fine but when i had it over clocked it like froze the games i was playing "quake 4"... but the thing is i only had it over clacked to 2.54 ghz and its a 2.4 ghz processor, i dont know lol im new to the whole overclocking thing. so i dont know if 140mhz overclock realy does make a difference in the heat.

thank you tho for responding. if you know anymore information plz help me out.

developer
25-12-2006, 07:06 PM
Your CPU temperature looks alright (assuming the temperatures monitored are accurate enough). It is hard to say if it is the CPU temperature or other things stopped you from playing games. An additional 140MHz may increase CPU temperature by a little, but most CPU's have the ability to go a little higher than marked. It is unlikely that you will notice a difference in games with that 140HMz anyway.

Robisx
25-12-2006, 07:23 PM
So if i kept my overclock to 140mhz over normal it wont hurt my CPU? and if some odd reason it is over heating, which cooling system should i invest in?

by the way thank you for your replies, im kinda new to this hehe. :)

Big John
25-12-2006, 08:21 PM
im using the default program that came with it called "abit uGuru" i have a abit aw9d max motherboard. i had to drop down the overclock and now it runs fine but when i had it over clocked it like froze the games i was playing "quake 4"... but the thing is i only had it over clacked to 2.54 ghz and its a 2.4 ghz processor, i dont know lol im new to the whole overclocking thing. so i dont know if 140mhz overclock realy does make a difference in the heat.

thank you tho for responding. if you know anymore information plz help me out.

There is a program that will read the actual registers off the chip. The article that tells you more about it is here

http://www.overclockers.com/articles1378/index02.asp

Thats the one I use for mine and is suppose to give accurate results as there is no analouge to digital change.

winmacguy
25-12-2006, 08:56 PM
How many fans has your HD got?

developer
25-12-2006, 11:26 PM
A little of over clocking is unlikely to hurt your computer, because the computer will hang / beep / restart etc when the CPU becomes too hot. However, even if your computer seem to be working alright when over clocked, you still need to make sure it is stable, especially when having heavy computation loads. If you really need that additional performance, I suggest you to run some system tests, just to make sure your computer is in a stable condition, before putting it into work or other things.

qazwsxokmijn
25-12-2006, 11:45 PM
Overclocking the CPU also increases the speed of the RAM. See in my sig - I overclocked my Pnetium D 3.00GHz to 3.22GHz, which in turn makes my 533MHx RAM to 575MHz. Anything higher than that and the RAM won't take it and will refuse to boot at all.

Maybe you have a cheapo RAM like mine?

netchicken
26-12-2006, 08:01 AM
In another thread someone has an old fridge that might be handy if you can get it working again :)

How do you tell what the temp is in your machine? Mine is only about 6 months old but I don't seem to have a temp option (athlon 3500)

The_End_Of_Reality
26-12-2006, 11:24 AM
The system will shutdown before any permanant damage is done to the CPU assuming you have it set to in the BIOS.

And being a n00b to OCing I suggest you really take it slowely and not stupidly cause you will most likely blow something.

What maybe causing the instability (and as developer said you really need to run stability tests like Prime 95, Memtest 86 and CPU Burn In to ensure stability and also the life of the CPU and other components) could be the RAM (unlikely I would think being such a little OC) or even the CPU maybe limiting it... in which case you will need to add a little more voltage to it, BUT DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK AS THIS IS WHERE MOST N00BS BLOW THEIR CHIPS IF THEY ADD TOO MUCH

My X2 4400+ (stock 2.2) is clocked at 2.7 stock cooler and I only hit 55C MAX and system shutdown is set for 60C (the lowest setting)

qazwsxokmijn - You do know that you can run a RAM divider and then crank up the OC on the CPU even more right? and the RAM will be running lower than the CPU, but you can then get more out of the CPU and then you will reach the RAM barrier again, that will be better than what you are running ATM.

I would suggest you get an aftermarket cooler to lower the temps even more if you are going to keep OCing.