PDA

View Full Version : The Official PressF1 "What I Got For Christmas" Thread

Dannz
25-12-2006, 06:18 AM
Well everyone, it's that time of the year again. Merry Christmas:D
So.. What did you get? I would say what i got, but nobody else is up yet, so i have no idea what i have got.

P.S and yes, i have nicked Bruce's thread again :p

pcuser42
25-12-2006, 07:24 AM
So far from the big man in red (I'm 13) I got PC User (with cover DVD with Vista Transformation Pack on it), a can of Just Juice Bubbles, a shirt, a Flake, a pack of Milky Bar, a pair of binoculars and balloons. Oh, and a $20 top up voucher for my Telecom 027 phone. :D :D

Dannz
25-12-2006, 07:44 AM
Hmm... Eragon Book, Cd Wallet.. various misc things..
Oh.. and a 17" lcd :D

Cheers

kenj
25-12-2006, 08:13 AM
At this time, a Sony portable DVD player from my wife... Yippeeeeeeee

Later on, the socks and hankies no doubt from the kids and grandkids... love them all!!!!

Ken

plod
25-12-2006, 08:30 AM
ipod shuffle from the mother inlaw, and some new motorbike pants from the wife and kids, I guess they never took the hint about the new motorbike

pcuser42
25-12-2006, 08:40 AM
Just got my parent's present - another Knex roller coaster! :D

techiekid
25-12-2006, 09:15 AM
dvds cds books vouchers!

pctek
25-12-2006, 10:47 AM
PC mags, food mags.

Money, Mitre10 vouchers (all for the ongoing house paint job)

A set of vicious looking decorative knives, whacking big blades on them, pretty sharp too. They may come in handy later when everyones had too much beer and becomes annoying.....;)

pcuser42
25-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Chocolate fish, a fishing line, Da Vinci Code Game, 3 Ripley's books, $$$, a hat and more chocolate. :D It's going to be a good Christmas!

Dannz
25-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Chocolate fish, a fishing line, Da Vinci Code Game, 3 Ripley's books, $$$, a hat and more chocolate. :D It's going to be a good Christmas!

How many lots of presents are you getting? or are they all from different people? (i hope :p)

pcuser42
25-12-2006, 12:00 PM
Different people.

noone
25-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Some random book,Sunglasses,Earphones(Senn Cx300's)
Yay!
Merry Xmas

JackStraw
25-12-2006, 01:08 PM
A bill from Telecom, saying they still have $31.73 of my money since I canceled my account and they will give me a 10% discount if I pay early??????
A reminder that the truck rego. will run out on 6 Jan. and a statement from the bank telling me that i only have $186,236.47 left to pay on the mortgage.
Happy Happy Joy Joy ;-)

personthingy
25-12-2006, 02:57 PM
A nice sunny day to cut up firewood to send into the country thus reducing city waste, reducing my friends costs, and reducing the load on the over stressed national grid.

What a good day it is!

pcuser42
25-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Update: got a PC Authority magazine, another year's subscription to PC World (the best) and 2 Instant Kiwi tickets. One of them won me $3! Oh, and a cheque.

dolby digital
25-12-2006, 07:24 PM
Ok, I did get some socks, chocolates, petrol vouchers.

I did buy the "family" a HDD DVD Recorder yesterday.

Greven
25-12-2006, 09:32 PM
My main present was a decent pair of sunglasses from my parents. From other people, I got a warehouse voucher, cash & Instant Kiwi tickets (everyone loves them)

k8smum
25-12-2006, 11:05 PM
Oops! Put this in the wrong place originally, sorry.

Horrible fine misty wet rain all day up until about 6pm, then sun came out for 15 minutes then the sodding rain came back again. I got a pair of cool jandals from Rebel Sport. Oh, and a Sony A100 DSLR 10.2 megapixel twin lens camera kit with 2GB memory stick, two UV filters, and two magic lens-cleaning cloths. Lucky me! Now I just have to figure out what to do with the old one...

R2x1
26-12-2006, 12:11 AM
Maybe trade it in on a waterproof housing?:o

pcuser42
26-12-2006, 07:59 AM
I got a holiday, which I didn't want. :(

personthingy
26-12-2006, 08:09 AM
Well i'm very pleased with Xmas day.. Armed with a blunt hand-saw i produced 7 sacks of firewood made from packing cases the neighboring businesses threw out, got tired from doing it and a little saw, so i probably got a small increase in personal physical strength as well. The gaps were spent filling my brain with knowledge

What a productive day indeed. Hopefully today will have fine enough weather that i may repeat the process, and send at least 14 sacks of firewood out country so my friend can put less strain on the national grid.

Eventually the shops will reopen, and i'll be able to get a blade for the skill saw too, as soon as this Christmas silliness is over.

Good exersize.
Good karma.
What a perfect days!

Tux
26-12-2006, 09:52 PM
Well i'm very pleased with Xmas day.. Armed with a blunt hand-saw i produced 7 sacks of firewood made from packing cases the neighboring businesses threw out, got tired from doing it and a little saw, so i probably got a small increase in personal physical strength as well. The gaps were spent filling my brain with knowledge

What a productive day indeed. Hopefully today will have fine enough weather that i may repeat the process, and send at least 14 sacks of firewood out country so my friend can put less strain on the national grid.

Eventually the shops will reopen, and i'll be able to get a blade for the skill saw too, as soon as this Christmas silliness is over.

Good exersize.
Good karma.
What a perfect days!

There is no strain on the power grid in the summer period, its the winter period/spring from memory, and even then we havent had any blackouts. Burning firewood would probably be more inefficient than an electric heater and produce more CO2 than say hydro electricity, meh, hippies and their twisted logic

Greven
26-12-2006, 10:04 PM
There is no strain on the power grid in the summer period, its the winter period/spring from memory, and even then we havent had any blackouts. Burning firewood would probably be more inefficient than an electric heater and produce more CO2 than say hydro electricity, meh, hippies and their twisted logic

Fire gives off a much more pleasent heat than electric heaters

Laura
26-12-2006, 10:28 PM

Talk about the Grinch that Stole Christmas...

Ignore Tux's version - and enjoy both how good the exercise makes you feel & how happy the firewood recipients will be.

Just wish you were a bit closer to buy some of it myself..

personthingy
26-12-2006, 10:53 PM
There is no strain on the power grid in the summer period, its the winter period/spring from memory, and even then we havent had any blackouts. Burning firewood would probably be more inefficient than an electric heater and produce more CO2 than say hydro electricity, meh, hippies and their twisted logic You might want to check this, just in case you believe that NZ is still almost entirely run of hydro power. We are in fact getting barely over half our energy from that source, and to make it worse hippies keep stopping us building more damns.

http://www.stats.govt.nz/products-and-services/hot-off-the-press/nz-energy-statistics/nz-energy-statistics-jun06qtr-hotp.htm
Ooops thats a dead link now, but a copy lives below :)

Anyway, much of this wood is for winter use, although my friend still has to pay for power summer, or winter. Last time i checked, i think it rained more in winter than summer, although the last week might suggest otherwise. As more people are using air conditioners in summer, and alternatives to direct electric heating is often being used in winter, the summer winter demand gap isn't what it used to be.

The South Island runs almost entirely of its own hydro even tho the damns are almost never overflowing, and the North has to use a lot of fossil fuels to make up for supply being increasingly above demand, so if we can let a bit more water stay in the damns just that little bit longer, then it's all good for everyone.

As for the CO2 produced by burning wood sourced from industrial waste as fuel, might i point out that this could be a better thing than letting it produce CO2 by rotting in a land fill somewhere or being disposed of in an incinerator?

Sorry i posted a dead link
I did however keep a copy of what that link provided, which i upload here:
http://something.orcon.net.nz/nzenergy.pdf

Enjoy

Chilling_Silence
26-12-2006, 11:18 PM
Thread stickied....

Oh, and I got a Parachute Music Festival ticket, spent a lovely day with the girlfriend, and went to a wedding on Christmas day arvo at the beach :)

Tux
26-12-2006, 11:34 PM
You might want to check this, just in case you believe that NZ is still almost entirely run of hydro power. We are in fact getting barely over half our energy from that source, and to make it worse hippies keep stopping us building more damns.

http://www.stats.govt.nz/products-and-services/hot-off-the-press/nz-energy-statistics/nz-energy-statistics-jun06qtr-hotp.htm
Ooops thats a dead link now, but a copy lives below :)

Anyway, much of this wood is for winter use, although my friend still has to pay for power summer, or winter. Last time i checked, i think it rained more in winter than summer, although the last week might suggest otherwise. As more people are using air conditioners in summer, and alternatives to direct electric heating is often being used in winter, the summer winter demand gap isn't what it used to be.

The South Island runs almost entirely of its own hydro even tho the damns are almost never overflowing, and the North has to use a lot of fossil fuels to make up for supply being increasingly above demand, so if we can let a bit more water stay in the damns just that little bit longer, then it's all good for everyone.

As for the CO2 produced by burning wood sourced from industrial waste as fuel, might i point out that this could be a better thing than letting it produce CO2 by rotting in a land fill somewhere or being disposed of in an incinerator?

Sorry i posted a dead link
I did however keep a copy of what that link provided, which i upload here:
http://something.orcon.net.nz/nzenergy.pdf

Enjoy

I never said that hydro energy was running out at all...

The wood you speak of from industrial waste could be better utilised to make recycled paper etc. Thus reducing CO2 which you kindly fail to mention.

stu161204
27-12-2006, 11:21 PM
I got: a Bag, A BBC Top Gear NZ Mag, a book "On cars Clarkson", a Leadtek WinFast TV USB II Deluxe TV Box, some $$, a new Micro Sonic power toothbrush, a new per of Sun glasses, a mobile phone holder, a mobile phone bag, a new belt, some Chocolate & other sweets & a few other small things……

And a soft drink that you can only get in Scotland (& now a UK shop here in NZ) "irn-bru"

Strommer
30-12-2006, 06:50 AM
Aside from the usual T shirt, chocolate, a Lynx pack and other things that have faded from memory... a Canadian friend of mine gave me a bottle of pure :thumbs: maple syrup: yum!! Also got a history book of Decisive Battles of WW2 - nice bedtime reading. :lol:

Oh yeah, then there is the $1,000+ worth of house paint to keep me busy :groan: (mostly exterior but also interior jobs for rainy days) while my wife is away for a month in Italy and England. But hey, I thought to balance things out and keep me happy, I bought myself a Philips 160 Gb DVD recorder on sale at DSE and I must say it is nice to be out of the stone age - no more damn tapes - but I just may return the Philips within 2 weeks as there seems to be some features that are missing (e.g. no 3 minute step advance to skip adverts and there does not seem to be a slow motion forward and reverse, and annoying HD data display everytime the pause button is used).