PDA

View Full Version : Chassis Intrusion Header ?

rd400f
24-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Hi
My DP965LT Mother board has Chassis intrusion header pins on it but my case does not seem to have an intrusion switch.
Do I have to find a jumper to connect up the two header pins on the board or can I leave them open.
And no the Intel instructions and web site dont have any info.
Thanks
Richard

Speedy Gonzales
24-12-2006, 02:42 PM
Don't worry about it, it just goes off if the case is open.

Just leave the jumpers alone.

rd400f
24-12-2006, 02:50 PM
Hi
Yes I understand how it should work but as my case has no switch there are no wires to conect to the header pins.
So do I leave the pins empty or fit a jumper over them ?
Richard

Speedy Gonzales
24-12-2006, 03:00 PM
That depends on whether it had jumpers or not in the first place.

If it didn't have any it should be fine without jumpers.

rd400f
24-12-2006, 03:22 PM
Hi
Thanks...it never had jumpers.
I'm still not having any luck with this new motherboard installation.
I plug in the power and all the fan stat up..the standby power LED on the board lights up but I have nothing on the screen and no beeps from the on board speaker.
The reset button will switch off the fans for a moment the they start up again but still nothing on screen.
I have checked the 2x2 and 2x12 power connectors.
No change.
I have removed and reinstalled the CPU.
No change.
I have removed and reinstalled the memory/
No change.
I have removed and reinstalled the PCI Express video card.
No change.
I have removed the CMOS battery...waited a minute then reinstalled it.
No change.
It has got me stumped.
Thanks
Richard

Speedy Gonzales
24-12-2006, 03:31 PM
Does it have an ATX 12v adapter on the motherboard??

The 4 pin adapter from the power supply, has to go on it, if its there.

Otherwise, nothing will work. When u took the battery out did u remove any jumpers? If u did, did u put them back?

rd400f
24-12-2006, 03:58 PM
Hi
The power cables coming from the power supply are...
one 2x2 and it is connected to the motherboard.
one 2x12 and it is connected to the mother board.
one 4 pin plug that is connected to the DVD-RW..this also has a second 4pin plug for a second DVD/CD ROM...this second plug is not connected.
one last 4 pin plug that is connected to an adapter that connects to my 320GB SATA HD.This set of wiring ends in a single very small 4 pin plug that I cannot yet find a home for.
Is this the one you are talking about ?
If so where on my DP965LT Mother board would it connect ?
Thanks
Richard
P.S didnt touch any jumpers yet.

Speedy Gonzales
24-12-2006, 04:13 PM
The SATA hdd, it sounds like you've connected the power adapter, have u connected the data cable to the motherboard??

Both have to be connected for the SATA to work.

And is anything installed on this SATA? Like Windows?

One 2x2 and it is connected to the motherboard. - This sounds like the ATX plug?

one 2x12 and it is connected to the mother board. - Whats this? The main power?

one last 4 pin plug that is connected to an adapter that connects to my 320GB SATA HD.This set of wiring ends in a single very small 4 pin plug that I cannot yet find a home for. - This I don't know... 2 cables should be coming from the SATA the power which gets connected to a spare power connector.

And a data cable, which plugs into a header on the mobo.

If none of the hdds have anything on them, that'll be why it wont turn on.

rd400f
24-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Hi
"The SATA hdd, it sounds like you've connected the power adapter, have u connected the data cable to the motherboard??"
.................................................. .........
Yes the power to the HDD is coming from the large 4 pin plug but I had to plug an adapter into it to change it from the large 4 pins down to a smaller 4pin to fit into the HDD
Yes the data cable comes from the HDD to one of the 4 possible Serial ATA plugs on the mobo.

"And is anything installed on this SATA? Like Windows?"
.................................................. .................................................. ..
No the HDD is brand new as is everything else. Nothing has been even booted yet.

" One 2x2 and it is connected to the motherboard. - This sounds like the ATX plug?"
.................................................. .................................................. ....
This called the Processor core power connector according to the Intel site.

"one 2x12 and it is connected to the mother board. - Whats this? The main power?"
.................................................. .................................................. ...
This is called the Main power connector according to the Intel site.

The small 4pin at the end of the power cable...I will explain it like this...4 wires come out of the power supply and end in a large 4 socket plug.This plug has another 4 wires coming out of it the end in another identical 4 socket plug..""this is where I have connected the adapter that then plugs into the HDd""..this second large plug has another 4 wires that come out of it and these finally end in a much smaller and thinner 4 socket plug.This is the one I cannot find a home for.

"If none of the hdds have anything on them, that'll be why it wont turn on."
.................................................. .................................................. ...
I only have the one HDD and it had nothing on it data wise as it is brand new.
Does any of this help or does it just confuse thing even more?
Thanks
Richard

Speedy Gonzales
24-12-2006, 05:09 PM
OK well chuck the XP cd in and see if the screen comes on, the monitor is plugged in right?

Then u have to go into the BIOS change bootdisk to cd, then install XP.

If the PSU has a square 4 pin plug this plugs into the ATX adapter on the mobo.

I don't know what plug you're talking about that u don't know where to put. If it doesn't plug into the ATX adapter on the mobo.

You'll have to take a photo of it if u have a camera or something and post it on the F1 site.

rd400f
24-12-2006, 05:19 PM
Hi
Nothing...the monitor stays black.
I would have expected the monitor to a least bring up a splash screen or something before we tryed to boot from the CD.
Richard

Speedy Gonzales
24-12-2006, 05:22 PM
Don't know then, it'll be easier for us to figure out what the prob is, if u could take a photo of this plug you're talking about.

And upload the photo to the F1 site.

rd400f
24-12-2006, 05:46 PM
Don't know then, it'll be easier for us to figure out what the prob is, if u could take a photo of this plug you're talking about.

And upload the photo to the F1 site.

Hi
Does this help?
Richard
http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/4pin.jpg

Speedy Gonzales
24-12-2006, 06:41 PM
That's good, a pic helps.

That arrow saying small 4 pin socket connector is for a floppy / disk drive.

If u don't have a floppy don't worry about it. It wont go anywhere. Put it out of the way.

The 4 pin socket/s plug into a normal IDE hdd or cd/dvd.

BUT since, you don't have IDE hdd's only the SATA they go nowhere.

They're spares. BUT, if u have a cd or dvd / burner, one of those 4 pin sockets plug into the back of them.

Normally, there's more connections than devices in a system. The spare connections/wires just put them out of the way, so they don't get caught up in/near a fan or something.

Take another pic of the top 1/2 of the mobo (the top 1/2 showing the other 1/2 of the ram slots)

rd400f
24-12-2006, 07:02 PM
Hi
Here you go.
http://imagef1.net.nz/files/Full_PC.jpg
A place for every thing and every thing in it's place...I think ?
Richard

Speedy Gonzales
24-12-2006, 07:36 PM
Hmm the wires loook ok in the 2nd pic.

I would just press down firmly on the 20 pin power connector. Make sure its on properly.

And take the wires off the CPU fan, one of them may stop the CPU fan from spinning.

You've connected the case wires (if there's wires from the front of the case), like this (http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-009016.htm)

The ATX and CPU fan connections look ok.

The power comes on, when u press the button on the front of the case doesn't it?

rd400f
24-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Hi
The fan wires are yet to be tied back.

Front panel pins have been checked many times.

With a multimeter I know that...
Main power switch works
Reset switch works

Put 6 volts on both Power On and HDD LED's and they light up.

But when you plug in the main power lead neither LED light up.
Front power switch turns fans on and off.
Reset switch turns off fans for a short amount of time and then when they come back on the DVD-RW and Keyboard light come on momentarily.

Also I have had to put a temporary video card in as this mobo doesn't have on board video.My top of the line video is still on its way to me.
The monitor is a working one that was on my other computer until one week ago so I know it is OK.
If the mobo was booting up OK and not giving me any error beeps...and the temporary video card was stuffed and not giving me any video signal then would that not give me what I am now seeing ?
Still doesn't explain the front panel LED's not working .
Thanks
Richard

Speedy Gonzales
24-12-2006, 08:47 PM
So are the front connectors wired the same as the link I posted??

If the LED's aren't working, swap the wires around.

And the temporary video card was stuffed and not giving me any video signal then would that not give me what I am now seeing ?

You mean nothing comes up on the screen lol.

Yup that would be a good reason. The video card is dead.

Turn the power off, try the other 2 PCI slots. If the monitor doesn't turn on then, the card maybe dead.

Just as long as u get A beep, when u turn the system on everything else should be fine.

rd400f
24-12-2006, 09:08 PM
So are the front connectors wired the same as the link I posted??

If the LED's aren't working, swap the wires around.

And the temporary video card was stuffed and not giving me any video signal then would that not give me what I am now seeing ?

You mean nothing comes up on the screen lol.

Yup that would be a good reason. The video card is dead.

Turn the power off, try the other 2 PCI slots. If the monitor doesn't turn on then, the card maybe dead.

Just as long as u get A beep, when u turn the system on everything else should be fine.

Hi
Will try the LED plugs the other way around but I'm sure they are correct.
Yes nothing has ever come up on the screen yet.
It is a PCI Express card...Can you still get video cards to fit in a std PCI slot ?..as this board doesn't have an AGP slot.
Not getting a beep when I turn the system on...thats what worries me.
Richard

Speedy Gonzales
24-12-2006, 09:18 PM
Not really. PCI cards are pretty scarce these days I think.

Most places are selling AGP / PCI-Express or the later cards.

But PCI-E can't go in PCI or vice-versa.

You'll most probably kill the slot if u tried.

I think PCI-E slots can be shorter / and longer than PCI.

As shown here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pci-e)

rd400f
24-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Not really. PCI cards are pretty scarce these days I think.

Most places are selling AGP / PCI-Express or the later cards.

But PCI-E can't go in PCI or vice-versa.

You'll most probably kill the slot if u tried.

I think PCI-E slots can be shorter / and longer than PCI.

As shown here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pci-e)

Hi
That was as I thought.
It is the fact that I don't get any beep when I power it up that has me worried.
Anyway thanks for all your help today.I will have another try tomorrow.
Thanks
Richard

Speedy Gonzales
24-12-2006, 09:34 PM
No worries.

Umm I'm not too sure what Intel mean by this (http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-009007.htm)

I'll have a read of the manual, I'm getting it now.

rd400f
24-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Hi
Here you go.
http://imagef1.net.nz/files/2x2_pin.jpg
Maybe some manufactures used the small 4 pin plug we talked about before to power the board.
This mobo has no 4pin header that I can find.
Richard

Speedy Gonzales
24-12-2006, 10:23 PM
Sorry thats the connector I was talking about.

On P4's its needed so it supplies enough juice to the CPU. Or the system wont boot.

The only other thing I can think of, why its not working is because of that video card.

Or another thing u could try, turn the power off take 1 ram simm out, then see if it turns on, replace it, then take the other simm out.

rd400f
25-12-2006, 01:28 PM
Hi
Tryed removing both Ram sticks and replaceing just one of them.Both seemed seated OK.Replaced the single Ram stick into the slot and try to power up.
That worked...!!!
I am installing Win2000 right now and will sort out why it works with only one Ram stick soon.
Thanks for all your help and I will update you as I go on.
Thanks
Richard

presso
25-12-2006, 08:13 PM
I just noticed this tread and had a read through , i noticed straight away that you had one stick of ram in one bank and another in the other bank , I would say this is why it did not work and why it is working now you only have one stick in , i would say if you put the other stick back in but put it back in the same bank as the other stick you will be away and laughing.

rd400f
25-12-2006, 09:10 PM
Hi
presso...This is what I have tried...
First I will describe how Intel describes each Ram slot...
Slot 1 is blue and called...Channel A.DIMM 0
Slot 2 is black and called..Channel A,DIMM 1
Slot 3 is blue and called...Channel B,DIMM 0
Slot 4 is black and called..Channel B,DIMM 1
.................................................. ...............................................
This is what I have tried.
Good Ram in slot 1 and Sus Ram in slot 3...no boot
Good Ram in slot 1...boots and runs but only shows 1GB Ram.
Sus Ram in slot 1 and Good Ram in slot 3...no boot.
Sus Ram in slot 1...no boot.
Good Ram in slot 1 and Sus Ram in slot 2...no boot.
Sus Ram in slot 2...no boot.
Sus Ram in slot 2 and Good Ram in slot 4...boots and runs but only shows 1GB Ram.

Just a reminder that this is two sticks of 1GB each.
Richard

presso
26-12-2006, 07:43 AM
Looks like you do indeed have a sus memory stick there , i would if possible see if you can borrow another good stick off of sombody and try putting it in with your good stick and see if its picking up both of them. But from what you said of putting the sus one in slot one and it not booting but then putting in the good one in slot one and it booting i would say without a dout you have a stuffed stick , If its new take it back to where you got it from i am sure they would throw it in a test rig to verify its stuffed.

Speedy Gonzales
26-12-2006, 09:20 AM
Cool, as least we got it going, thats a good start!

The simms you've got, both are 240 pin DDR2 right?

NOT DDR, which is 184 pin.

rd400f
26-12-2006, 10:10 AM
Hi
Speedy Gonzales ....They are definetly 240 pin...brought new as a twin stick 2GB pack.
So here is where i'm at.
It now seems that I can fit iether ram stick into slot one and I get 1GB showen on screen.But as soon as I try to use the second blue slot.slot 3, it will not boot.
If I put the either stick in the first Black slot,slot 2, then I get 2GB on screen but only in single channel mode.
This sems to show that there might be a problem with the second blue slot.
So can you tell me how to change the Bios the allow dual channel ?
When I get into the Bios that feature seems to be greyed out.
Also I am trying to use this prog to check the memory.
http://www.memtest86.com/#install
I have done this so far... To build a boot-able CDROM use your CD burning software to create an image from the un-zipped ISO file...but when I put the CD into my drive then reboot it just comes up with my Win2000.
Yes the DVD drive is the first boot device.
Thanks
Richard

Speedy Gonzales
26-12-2006, 10:43 AM
Ok, will 1 simm work in slot 3?? by itself.

You're right two simms should go in slot 1 and 3, so its dual channel.

Not slot 1 and 2, not slot 2 and 4.

Sounds like the 3rd slot maybe stuffed, if neither simm works in it.

The system should automatically detect dual channel once the simms are in slot 1 and 3. (the blue slots). As long as the simms are the same brand/speed/amount of ram.

But, this won't work if slot 3 is dead. Nothing is shorting is it?

The mobo isn't shorting on the case anyway is it?? Or round where the memory slots are?

If you have the Windws 2000 cd, all u do is change it to the bootdisk save the settings, and reboot. It should take u to the install screen, and it should be bootable.

Greg
26-12-2006, 11:16 AM
You're right two simms should go in slot 1 and 3, so its dual channel.

Not slot 1 and 2, not slot 2 and 4.

The system should automatically detect dual channel once the simms are in slot 1 and 3.Or slot 2 and 4?

Also, it's worth while to double check the BIOS to see if dual channel is enabled.

Speedy Gonzales
26-12-2006, 11:49 AM
From all the mobo's I've made up, I've never seen an option for dual channel in the BIOS.

As I said, the system will/should detect that, if the simms are the same brand/speed/amount of ram on them. It'll tell u on the post screen.

If its running in Dual or Single Channel mode.

I think the simms have to be in the blue slots, and if u have 4 simms and they're the same as slot 1/3 then u put the simms in slot 2 AND 4.

rd400f
26-12-2006, 12:07 PM
Hi
Well I don't know whats going on with the bl--dy thing.I tried to test it with one stick in slot 3 but I got nothing and now I cannot get either stick to run by itself in slot 1.
Going to have a beer and let this problem sit for a few hrs..getting pissed off and don't want too start throwing expensive parts around.
Thanks
Richard

Greg
26-12-2006, 12:07 PM
I think I got mixed up - I just checked my Gigabyte mobo's manual and there's no option to enable/disable dual channel... I must've been thinking of hyperthreading.

As for which slots, the manual says for dual channel either 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 is ok.

Speedy Gonzales
26-12-2006, 01:03 PM
Hi
Well I don't know whats going on with the bl--dy thing.I tried to test it with one stick in slot 3 but I got nothing and now I cannot get either stick to run by itself in slot 1.
Going to have a beer and let this problem sit for a few hrs..getting pissed off and don't want too start throwing expensive parts around.
Thanks Richard

I would turn the power off, pull the plug.

Take the mobo out of the case, lay it on something non-conductive (ie: wood or other), then connect the 2x2 connector back up, connect the 20/24 pin power connector, and a few fans/the CPU fan. And then put the simms back in. And make sure no screws or other have fallen inside the case / behind the mobo.

That may have shorted out the mobo out somewhere. Connect the hdd.

Plug the video card back in.

Then short pin 8/9 on the front panel header with a screwdriver or other, to turn the system on. See what happens then. Then try swapping the simms out, see if the system comes on with the mobo out of the case.

If that doesn't work, turn the system off (short pin 8/9 again), remove the BIOS Configuration Jumper Block, remove the CMOS battery for about a min, and then put both back on. Then try again.

rd400f
29-12-2006, 09:11 AM
Hi
Problem solved !!!
It was caused by myself not having the ram sticks seated properly.
They sure felt seated but they were not.
It is surprising the amount of force that is needed to seat them properly but you sure know when they are.
So now I have 2GB of ram running in Dual channel mode.
Thanks for everybody's help.
Thanks
Richard

Speedy Gonzales
29-12-2006, 09:24 AM
Good to hear its solved!

It does take a bit of force to put them in. As long as u hear a click you know the clips on the side of the slots have secured the simms.

rd400f
29-12-2006, 09:32 AM
Hi
Yes you are right...It was all down to me not wanting to break anything by pressing too hard.
Anyway...one last problem.....
I have a brand new Seagate 320GB 7200rpm S-ATA II HDD - 16MB Cache
installed in this case.But now I have Win2000 up and running it only shows 130 GB alvailable in the HDD.
Any ideas ?
Thanks
Richard

Speedy Gonzales
29-12-2006, 09:36 AM
Is Service Pack 4 installed?

I would also check control panel / admin tools / computer managementt / disk management (it maybe different in 2k, I don't know, I'm using XP).

Highlight the hdd entry. Anything here saying unallocated?

Also did u format in FAT32 or NTFS?? FAT32, has a limit, NTFS doesn't. It sounds like u formatted in FAT32.

You may have to convert the hdd to NTFS to see the rest of the hdd.

Info here (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/convertfat.mspx)

And here (http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.php)

On how to convert to NTFS.

rd400f
03-01-2007, 08:43 PM
Hi
Back again.
I have checked in "Admin' Tools" and the hard drive is formated in NTFS.

I have downloaded all the updates for Win2000.

Still nothing has changed.So I want to do this registry change.
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
To enable 48-bit LBA large-disk support in the registry:
1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Atapi\Parameters
3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value:
Value name: EnableBigLba
Data type: REG_DWORD
Value data: 0x1
4. Quit Registry Editor.
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
But when I get to part 3 I get asked "Binary..Decimal..Hex"
OK I understand that but the value I have to enter is meant to be 0x1
as you can see above.
I cannot get those figures to enter no matter which numbers system I use.
Any ideas ?
Thanks
Richard