PDA

View Full Version : sharing a printer attached to a windowsME machine with a windows xp machine

lance4k
24-12-2006, 02:07 PM
I am having trouble sharing a printer that is connected to a windowsME machine with a windows xp machine. I have enabled printer sharing in windowsME and gave the printer a name. The printer is connected to the windowsME machine using a parallel port.
The windows xp machine is connected to a wireless network using the dsl g604t router. Now when I go into the windows xp machine and go into printers, then ADD a network printer(or whatever it says),it searches the network and finds something called "microsoft windows network"(not printer name just this) and i click on it then type in the printer name(that i set using windowsME) and it says:

"Windows cannot connect to the printer. Either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server. For more information, click Help."

I have enabled file and printer sharing in the windows xp firewall.

Now i haven't tried this yet but i'm just wondering,i have my printer that is connected to my windowsME pc powered on,but the windowsME pc is off. If i turned my windowsME pc on would printer sharing work then? If so,do i always have to have the windowsME pc on if the other pc wants to print something?
IF i didn't want the pc to always be on,would i need to get a print server?

Speedy Gonzales
24-12-2006, 02:11 PM
Has Windows ME got a wireless adapter in it as well?

You said it, I would say u need a print server if u don't want the windows ME PC to be on. If you want to print from the XP PC.

If its off and u have no print server, You can't print to it.

drcspy
25-12-2006, 05:18 AM
errrrrrrrrr......Now i haven't tried this yet but i'm just wondering,i have my printer that is connected to my windowsME pc powered on,but the windowsME pc is off.

try this..........UNplug the printer from the winME machine then try to connect to it from the other pc ?.....will it work ?.....of course not because the printer itself hasnt got any kind of hardware which will allow this.......now my point is that essentially it's just NOT going to work while the winME machine is OFF....if you think about it you'll see that it is completely and totally irrelevant what network or printer settings or sharing settings you have placed into the winME machine if that machine is OFF........you may as well plug the printer into your toaster and try to connect.......

CYaBro
25-12-2006, 07:31 AM
Depending on the age of the printer, you may also need to install the driver on the WinXP PC as the driver that it will try to install from the WinME PC will most likely not work in XP. It will tell you this when you try to install the networked printer.