PDA

View Full Version : Linux fsck.. Fails to boot

jermsie
24-12-2006, 11:16 AM
Here's a shot to help you get an idea of my problem (here (http://jeremybank.com/temp/_MG_0004%20%5b800x600%5d.jpg)).
I know very little of linux so far but im gradually getting used to it.
I have a dual boot system, with windows xp pro.

Another problem is with grub. There are duplicates listed like this
> ubuntu
> mem test
> ubuntu
> mem test
Select other OS:
> Windows XP

I've tried changing XP to be the default OS ($ gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst) but no change. How can I effectively change the default and remove the duplicates as well as get past my first problem up top ^ ?

Jen
24-12-2006, 09:45 PM
That is not a good error message. Can you still boot into WinXP OK?

Have a read of this (http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Fsck:_Unexpected_Inconsistency) which is on the SuSE support website, but it explains your problem and possible solutions clearly.

Regarding your GRUB menu entries, once you have resolved your hard drive or filesystem errors, post the contents of menu.lst as it currently looks.

jermsie
24-12-2006, 10:42 PM
Hmm.. how do i remove linux and restore the original windows bootloader?

Jen
24-12-2006, 11:04 PM
You can use the Linux install CD to (carefully) delete the Linux partitions. Take care you don't touch the XP partitions. Then use the XP recovery console to repair the MBR (master boot record) using fixmbr which will get rid of GRUB. Have a look here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058) on using the recovery console.

jermsie
24-12-2006, 11:17 PM
Whereabouts on the cd can i do that? Would deleting the linux partition and swap do the same job safely?

Kame
25-12-2006, 12:17 AM
Merry Xmas,

And to the topic, you can leave the Linux partitions and can remove them safely through Windows XP through the Disk Management Section of Computer Management found in Administration Tools in Control Panel.

To get Windows bootloader back, you'll need to boot from the Windows XP CD, you'll need to enter the Recovery Console (You'll get to a menu that will ask you to press R, not the F2 option that will appear at the bottom during setup).

You'll then need to select the Windows directory, you'll also need to know the System Administrator password, default password is blank (nothing), just press Enter.

You should be at C:\>Windows, you'll just need to type FIXMBR and press enter and that'll restore the MBR back to Windows, it might ask for a confirmation to do so, just go with the Yes option, probably by typing Y and pressing enter.

Cheers,

KK

jermsie
25-12-2006, 08:21 AM
Cheers and merry xmas too.
I have the option to delete the logical drive that linux is sitting on. I have another partition that has music etc. Deleting the linux logical drive shouldnt affect it?

Jen
25-12-2006, 08:32 AM
You can delete the logical Linux partition. Just make sure you don't touch the extended partition. As with any partition manipulation, there is the risk you will lose data. Make sure you have backups.

jermsie
25-12-2006, 02:30 PM
I deleted the swap and now the two partitions are "free space." One reads over 1,200GB for some reason. There is no option to delete that free space or merge them etc.

TGoddard
25-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Back up your data now. Mysteriously massive partitions and corrupted filesystems are not good signs when it comes to measuring disk integrity. You really want a copy of all your files. Use a live CD to copy your documents to another drive in case your disk dies or the partition table becomes irreparably corrupted.

jermsie
25-12-2006, 04:27 PM
Funny how anything with linux has been difficult.
100GB of stuff will not be easy to backup

TGoddard
25-12-2006, 11:20 PM
From the problems you've been having with partitions larger than the disk itself it looks like the partition table is actually corrupted. This could be a hardware problem but without knowing any more I couldn't be sure. If you have anything you need in that 100GB you should already have a backup - now is very late but better late than never. Don't alter partitions unless you have a backup of anything you can't afford to lose. Making any more changes before doing a backup would be a serious mistake.

jermsie
25-12-2006, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the warning, believe me its really appreciated. This afternoon I backed up my important things like 9+gigs of digital photos etc (mostly family, holiday and personal shots). The rest is almost completely copied onto an external.
Someone suggested I use GParted (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/index.php) to repair the partition tables.