PDA

View Full Version : Silent video card for vista

Greven
23-12-2006, 01:17 PM
My sister wants to get a silent video card that can run all the flashy aero stuff in Vista when it comes out & has both composite & component out.

I've been looking at the 7300gt & the 7600gs, but can't find out if they have composite out (or S-Video with an adapter).

Also, the specs look pretty much the same on the 2 cards, so why is the 7600gs so much more expensive?
http://www.asus.com.tw/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1193&l1=2&l2=6&l3=266
http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1090&l1=2&l2=6&l3=271

The_End_Of_Reality
23-12-2006, 01:32 PM
Basically, you are looking for a card with passive cooling, VIVO (Video In, Video Out) that is relatively powerful, both the cards you said SHOULD run Vista well

As for the price difference, have you seen the amount of RAM on each card? the 7600 has double the RAM and has double the memory bus as the 7300GT

winmacguy
23-12-2006, 07:45 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but does that mean that Vista will need 2 video cards - one for the flashy graphics and one for running any video related stuff??:confused:

Edit:The_End_Of_Reality, that is a flash looking bit of hardware on your Cobra site:cool:

somebody
23-12-2006, 08:11 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but does that mean that Vista will need 2 video cards - one for the flashy graphics and one for running any video related stuff??:confused:

No. Vista doesn't require any special graphics cards to run their "basic" interface, which is similar to XP. The Aero interface (the flashy graphics) requires certain specifications on a graphics card. Allegedly the Intel GMA950 integrated graphics chip is sufficient to run Aero.

So short answer is: Vista does not need 2 video cards. It only needs one.

winmacguy
23-12-2006, 08:29 PM
Cool thanks for that somebody.
Incidently here is other some Vista info for those interested regarding 3rd party apps for Vista.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/12/21/HNcesfreevista_1.html
Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates has keynoted at the CES show for the past eight years, and this year he will continue that tradition. Gates is scheduled to speak on Sunday, Jan. 7, the night before the show officially kicks off. Though Microsoft has not yet said what Gates will highlight in his keynote, Vista and its launch in late January undoubtedly will be one of his topics.

Vista has been available to business users since Nov. 30, but most companies are expected to adopt the OS in 2007 or even in 2008. The bulk of major third-party applications won't run on the OS until after it's widely available to consumers.

The_End_Of_Reality
23-12-2006, 08:52 PM
Vista will run on intergrated AFAIK, but that will only be the basic interface, but I assume you want the Aero interface?

If so you will need GFX card, either of the two you mentioned should run it well, you can run two GFX cards with Vista, but it only needs one.

I can tell you that my machine (Thanks winmacguy :D) runs Vista at a high level, but really unless you are going to be doing intensive stuff then what I have is overkill to run Aero

Greven
24-12-2006, 01:21 AM
Thanks. She doesn't play 3D games, so I'll tell her to get the cheaper card.
Does anyone know if the 7 series still has S-Video & a S-Video to composite adapter?

The_End_Of_Reality
24-12-2006, 08:32 AM
My 7800 GTX came with a break out cable that has S-Video, RCA and all that but then that is for VIVO, and I think I mis-read your post, you do not require VIVO right?

If not both will be fine and look as if they come with a HDTV out adapter

Greven
24-12-2006, 10:04 AM
My 7800 GTX came with a break out cable that has S-Video, RCA and all that but then that is for VIVO, and I think I mis-read your post, you do not require VIVO right?

If not both will be fine and look as if they come with a HDTV out adapter

She doesn't see any need for VIVO. Have you found it useful?

It looks like all the new video cards have HDTV out.

The_End_Of_Reality
24-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Ok then, either of those cards will be fine.

I don't use the Video In part because I have a TV Tuner which I use for Video In, but I do like the Video Out function I find it usefull if I want to watch a movie or video from my PC on TV or something

BrotherDragon
06-01-2007, 08:50 AM
The only(?) cards that run DirectX 10 are the nVidia 8800 series and there have been comments that running Aero with other 3D apps will be less stable on non DirectX 10 cards. I don't know if this is true but I wouldn't invest too much in a video card at this time because you'll probably want to replace it with a DirectX 10 card in the near future when they become more affordable.

The_End_Of_Reality
06-01-2007, 10:04 AM
The only(?) cards that run DirectX 10 are the nVidia 8800 series and there have been comments that running Aero with other 3D apps will be less stable on non DirectX 10 cards. I don't know if this is true but I wouldn't invest too much in a video card at this time because you'll probably want to replace it with a DirectX 10 card in the near future when they become more affordable. Yes, the only current DX10 cards are the 8800s.

I have been running Vista since RC1 and I have not seen this instability, sure I have seen a lot of instability, but not related to this, I have seen bad GFX drivers causing artifacts during gaming, which is why I don't run on it permanantly :rolleyes:

If you read above, the GFX card is not going to be used for gaming, which means a DX10 card is not needed, Direct X is really only for gaming.

georgeks
06-01-2007, 10:54 AM
I have the XFX 8800GTX and is running REALLy silent..if low fan noise level is what you ask for-and the 629 euro price tag is not an issue- go for it...problem is, the Windows xp drivers are not signed, and the Vista drivers are not out yet---so much for state of the art...

georgeks
06-01-2007, 10:56 AM
I have the XFX 8800GTX and is running REALLy silent..if low fan noise level is what you ask for-and the 629 euro price tag is not an issue- go for it...problem is, the Windows xp drivers are not signed and can get you blue screens with nv**.dll errors, and the Vista drivers are not out yet---so much for state of the art...

The_End_Of_Reality
06-01-2007, 12:59 PM
I have the XFX 8800GTX and is running REALLy silent..if low fan noise level is what you ask for-and the 629 euro price tag is not an issue- go for it...problem is, the Windows xp drivers are not signed and can get you blue screens with nv**.dll errors, and the Vista drivers are not out yet---so much for state of the art... There is REALL_NO_NEED to get a card like that for running an OS... even high end gaming, it is expensive

And plus both of the cards above have passive HSF (NO fan, NO noise)

BTW, this is a NZ based forum... so your prices and currency is useless here

Greven
06-01-2007, 01:01 PM
I have the XFX 8800GTX and is running REALLy silent..if low fan noise level is what you ask for

Don't you think a cheaper card with no fan would be more appropriate?

The_End_Of_Reality
06-01-2007, 02:50 PM
Don't you think a cheaper card with no fan would be more appropriate? Exactly my point :rolleyes: