PDA

View Full Version : SoundMAX Soundcard problem

Mivey1
23-12-2006, 06:55 AM
Hi All,
This is my first time on this forum. I sure need your help with a soundcard issue.

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 running windows xp/home. I have a SoundMAX card but no sound. I've checked all volume levels and bios. Specifically when I go to audio device properties it tells me no default device for sound playback but lists my soundcard for sound record. I ran dxdiag and it gives the following information. Error: Problem getting extra sound infor, result code 0x80070057. Direct Sound Test Results: Failure at step 3 (Direct Sound Create): Result 0x88780078. But it correctly lists my driver as: 5.12.0001.3910

I can't pinpoint when this problem began. I also tried installing a new soundcard and driver but had the same results.

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Mike

Speedy Gonzales
23-12-2006, 07:10 AM
Welcome Mivey!

Looks like this is a common prob, with some people.

A few entries in Google, say this could be due to:

1. A stuffed DirectX install.

And suggests downloading this (http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=626) then reinstalling DirectX 9.0c.

Or the wrong drivers are installed for a soundcard.

2. Is this soundcard onboard?? Or is it a PCI card??

Mivey1
23-12-2006, 08:06 AM
Thanks for responding.

The SoundMax is onboard. I'll give your suggestion a try and see if it works. I think the problem is something other than the driver since I disabled the soundmax and installed another soundcard with the same outcome.

You're right about this being a common issue. I found a lot of discussion about problems with this card, but none with fixes that have worked for me.

Speedy Gonzales
23-12-2006, 08:19 AM
So, if the onboard soundcard uses soundmax drivers, are you sure the PCI card uses Soundmax drivers??

I would uninstall the soundmax drivers in Add/remove programs.

And then check this PCI soundcard, to see what brand/model it is.

I doubt that the replacement would use the soundmax drivers as well.

If it does, then why did u use it?? Since there would be no difference between it and the onboard soundcard?

Mivey1
23-12-2006, 08:26 AM
I guess I wasn't clear re: the PCI soundcard. I disabled the onboard card before installing the PCI. After installing the PCI, including it's drivers, when it had the same problem, I disabled it and reinstalled the onboard SoundMAX. That's where I am now. I still have the PCI card but it's disabled.

Speedy Gonzales
23-12-2006, 08:30 AM
I would remove the PCI card altogether if its still in the system.

And if its drivers are in Add/remove programs, uninstall them.

Then go to control panel / sounds (if u have XP). Go to the audio tab, make sure the default device is on the onboard soundcard.

And make sure the onboard sound is enabled in the BIOS.

Mivey1
23-12-2006, 10:08 AM
I uninstalled the PCI soundcard software and physically removed the card from the computer. I uninstalled the driver for the onboard SoundMAX and then reinstalled it with my dell supplied driver cd. Nothing changed. The device manager indicates the soundmax is working correctly. When I go to sound devices and check the audio tab it indicates there is no default device for sound playback and also indicates Soundmax as the default device for sound recording. Up to now everything I've attempted has had no effect on the problem.
I appreciate any suggestions you have.

Mivey1
23-12-2006, 10:11 AM
By the way, could this be the result of something in Windows? I do the automated updates for priority windows updates? Until recently I didn't have much use for sound on my computer so I can't really recall when the problem started to associate it with any update, or anything for that matter.