PDA

View Full Version : Raid failure help. Very weird.

Rpg_pro
22-12-2006, 09:43 PM
Ok here is my story.

Im currently running 2x sata 120gbs in raid0. I was brousing the internet as normal and i kept hearing one or both of the drives powering on and off. Did it for about 5 - 10 seconds before the system froze and BSOD (didn't record the error msg) rebooted and carried on before it did it again. This time i get an error at boot saying some file is missing and do a repair with the windows disc. Which i did and the error is still there.

I have now reinstalled windows on a old 40gb and set up raid to try transfer my data. Nvraid reports the erray to be 'healthy' and shows 223gb (which is normal) but in explorer i see a 10.3mb Fat drive, with random folders in it named with squares. Something simlar has happened and i just gave up and of formatted the erray. But i don't really want to do that now.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix or recover?

TGoddard
23-12-2006, 11:38 AM
It's a lot of space to back up but you should take a disk image now. Do not try to boot the computer again. Do not try to use the drive again, at least until you have a full backup. You may already have destroyed your data irreversibly with the restore. The automated Windows help system almost invariably misdiagnoses the problem then asks you to perform an irrelevant action. In the future ask a human first when your data is at stake.

For future reference, RAID 0 is a very easy way to double your failure rate - either drive failing will take out the whole array. If you have at least 3 drives then you can use RAID 5, losing one drive's space but allowing any one drive to fail without damage. RAID 0 should be used only for non-critical applications. It's OK for a media and gaming computer if you back up content you don't have a physical copy of but should not be used as a main work computer.