PDA

View Full Version : USB problem with MP3 player

Vince
22-12-2006, 04:45 AM
I bought an Apacer Audio Steno AU231 MP3 player for my daughter, for Christmas. I thought I would put some Christmas music on it, but when I plug it into the USB port on my computer I get the the message "USB device not recognized.":annoyed:

The MP3 players manual says that drivers are not required for Win. XP, which I am using. The MP3 player has music on it and plays!?

I can't give it to my daughter as is. Any sugestions?

PS I have been to the Apacer website. It appears to be still under construction and is no help at all.:mad:

beama
22-12-2006, 06:25 AM
http://www.apacer.com/en/products/Audio_Steno_AU231.htm

Before doing any of the following ring who ever you purchased it from see want they say

does it show in my computer as a removable drive ie usb drive or does it show in disk management.

Had this trouble with An Ipod a while back after coming back from repair it appeared to been formatted in an apple I just reformatted it and all was ok

Vince
27-12-2006, 04:52 AM
I think I know what caused the problem. Before plugging in the MP3 players USB cable I checked the sockets on the front of the computer and found them full of dust, so I cleaned them out with one of those "MAGNETIC" dusters?!

I think I murdered the front USB ports:eek: :blush: :o

When My daughter came over today, we tried using the ports at the back of the computer and it worked! Not a hint of a problem.:)

I don't understand the hardware well enough to be sure of my diagnosis, so if I am wrong please let me know.:)

Jen
27-12-2006, 09:02 AM
It may simply be the case front USB ports are not connected to the motherboard. Have you ever used the front ports before?

The_End_Of_Reality
27-12-2006, 09:17 AM
Jen, the front USB port MUST be plugged in... because "USB device not recognized." is an error that Windows gives when it gets an error while installing/initialising a USB device :p

I get it here with my external HDD every now and then, how many times did you try plugging it in at the front? cause with mine I take the USB plug out and put it in again and usually it picks it up right, if not try again...

Vince
27-12-2006, 05:07 PM
Jen, the front USB port MUST be plugged in... because "USB device not recognized." is an error that Windows gives when it gets an error while installing/initialising a USB device :p

I get it here with my external HDD every now and then, how many times did you try plugging it in at the front? cause with mine I take the USB plug out and put it in again and usually it picks it up right, if not try again...

Good point, sometimes the smallest logical errors are the hardest to recognize. I had in fact seen it myself and forgoten it.:blush:

There is air flow in through the front ports, which is why they were FULL of dust in the first place.

Yes I have tried both front ports twice, more like 4 times each.

Could it be that only 1 of the 5 host controlers is USB 2, the same as the MP3 player?:)

The_End_Of_Reality
27-12-2006, 05:25 PM
I too have done it many times...

Hmm, what happens when you try a different USB device?

No, if the MP3 Player is USB 2 it should also be USB 1.1 compatible.

pheonix
27-12-2006, 07:16 PM
I have come across USB2 only USB drives which worked OK at the back as they were USB2 ports , but the front was only USB1.1

Maybe it is a USB2 only device. easy way to tell is by using another USB device to check the front connectors are hooked up.

Vince
28-12-2006, 12:15 AM
Yes phoenix, the front ports are connected, I downloaded pictures from a friends camera a couple of years ago.

developer
28-12-2006, 01:56 AM
Maybe it is treated as USB Mass Storage and that is not allowed in your BIOS? Just a guess.