PDA

View Full Version : Buying first ADSL modem

Nomad
20-12-2006, 05:01 PM
Hey, I am after a router. I am willing to get a Linksys. What features should I look for? Benefit of VoIP? Firewall a requirement?

Can a ADSL wireless router be used for cable internet (Telstra) down the road hoping that they expand :thumbs: if so, can one use a ADSL wireless router just as a router and not as a ADSL modem? Can one use a upgraded ADSL modem and still use the old ADSL router as just a router?

Obviously something not too expensive.

Thanks

Nomad
20-12-2006, 06:32 PM
Hey can the adsl router be used with cable internet as just a router possible?

For all practicality, doesn't appear to be much of a diff between a modem router or just router that much. The 802.11n (number right?), anyway, the N series is just too pricey - the PCI card the router and then a ADSL modem cos they arent builtin AFAIK. I thought of these (2), what you think?

http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=335058
http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=119615

One computer is connected via network cable off the router, and the other is by wireless. First time with router, cool, I can scan my area for any networks which are open just to see how insecure pple respect their computer :p Not getting a wireless for the laptop cos that's my computer just a waste getting a PCCARD which I will get a PC later or a USB which is not that good. Go via the CBD driving with a laptop scanning, hehe ..

Nomad
20-12-2006, 07:18 PM
I just checked pricespy DSE has the WAG Linksys a bit cheaper but then the stores are not available near me. I cannot tell the difference between the WAG or the WRT, what is the difference between the photograph that one has 1 and the other has 2 antenna ears.

Greg
21-12-2006, 12:57 AM
First time with router, cool, I can scan my area for any networks which are open just to see how insecure pple respect their computer That's NOT a very good idea! If I was in your area using a wireless network and I discovered your scanning... hmmm... !

Nomad
21-12-2006, 10:22 AM
What I have done is the WRT is a router only. The WAG is a gateway modem well that's what it says on the pp and ascent site, I asked the dude to check for me. DSE site was confusing ;)

Still need a 2 weeks before its running though.