PDA

View Full Version : Laptop - Compaq - Xp professional running like frozen treacle

Morgenmuffel
20-12-2006, 06:54 AM
Hi all

We got given a laptop yesterday
Compaq n1015v

1.5 Gb chip
256 mb ram

Graphics say 48Mb which i am assuming is integrated

Now i realise the machine isn't going to run like greased lightning but, I have run XP on a 450Mhz desktop machine with only 128 mb ram and it ran much much faster than this laptop

The machine was well looked after in its previous life I scanned the harddrive with adaware etc and everything came up clean and i have defragged as well as used ccleaner,
I have also removed things like quicktime from the startup

If any one has any ideas of what i should look at to increase the speed it would be appreciated

Cheers

pctek
20-12-2006, 07:02 AM
You ran one with 128Mb. I'm amazed. Contrary to what MS says, on 128Mb it runs like a crippled pig. 256 is usually better but recently I have increased a few XP PCs to 512mb.

Wipe it and start again, use its recovery partition/CDs.

Morgenmuffel
20-12-2006, 07:24 AM
You ran one with 128Mb. I'm amazed. Contrary to what MS says, on 128Mb it runs like a crippled pig. 256 is usually better but recently I have increased a few XP PCs to 512mb.

Yeah it didn't run fast but it ran acceptably, but this system seems to be even slower, which i don't get

Wipe it and start again, use its recovery partition/CDs.

I would If I had them, but the person who gave us the comp couldn't find them although they are still looking

Erayd
20-12-2006, 07:30 AM
Do you have the XP COA stuck to the laptop somewhere (usually underneath)? If so, you can legally borrow someone else's install disk and use that, but enter your license key not theirs.

Jen
20-12-2006, 07:32 AM
What's the system performance (under Task Manager) showing when it is at idle and when you have a few things open?

winmacguy
20-12-2006, 07:48 AM
If all else fails try Ubuntu Linux (free) or get an Intel MacBook neither of which get viruses.

Morgenmuffel
20-12-2006, 08:57 AM
Do you have the XP COA stuck to the laptop somewhere (usually underneath)? If so, you can legally borrow someone else's install disk and use that, but enter your license key not theirs.

Yes there is, I had thought of that, but i was a bit worried that there may be proprietary compaq laptop drivers

What's the system performance (under Task Manager) showing when it is at idle and when you have a few things open?
when it's idle
Cpu usage about 1%
PF usage about 271Mb

Hmmm hang on I closed PC-Cillin and trend anti spyware and PF usage dropped by 120Mbs,

I might have to reconfigure these i think and that should help

dchip
20-12-2006, 09:44 AM
Hey there,

If you really want to see what that laptop is capible of, try the puppy.

It will run very well on those specs, plus, you won't have to worry about viruses anymore ;)

Erayd
20-12-2006, 12:14 PM
Yes there is, I had thought of that, but i was a bit worried that there may be proprietary compaq laptop driversThere will be, but these can usually be downloaded from the Compaq/HP website.

Morgenmuffel
19-03-2007, 03:18 PM
Yes i know dredging up an old post of mine, but i have a few more questions

1) does anyone know if these compaqs had a recovery sector or used restore disks

2) Someone mentioned a memory upgrade, when i looked there were loads of options, I think these are the Ram specs

200pin, PC2100 2.5V DDR266 SODIMM

probably get a 512MB memory thingie, now there are a few on pricespy and the prices vary quite a bit, what brands are Ok, or what brands should i avoid (and no I won't be buying from supercheap before anyone mentions it)

drcspy
19-03-2007, 03:47 PM
o you have the XP COA stuck to the laptop somewhere (usually underneath)? If so, you can legally borrow someone else's install disk and use that, but enter your license key not theirs.

DONT try this ...........it's almost certainly an OEM install in which case the key wont work and you'll end up with a non activateable xp install.............try reading the initial boot screen for prompts such as

'tap F10 for setup'
&
'tap F1 to access recovery'

or similar

pctek
19-03-2007, 04:22 PM
Hi all

We got given a laptop yesterday
Compaq n1015v

Well its probably stuffed with spyware for a start.
If you ring Compaq you can get another set of Recovery CDs for it, although they'll charge you for them, but its probably best to kill its install and start from fresh.

And turn off System Restore, its a bloated pig.

Sherman
19-03-2007, 06:34 PM
o you have the XP COA stuck to the laptop somewhere (usually underneath)? If so, you can legally borrow someone else's install disk and use that, but enter your license key not theirs.

DONT try this ...........it's almost certainly an OEM install in which case the key wont work and you'll end up with a non activateable xp install.............try reading the initial boot screen for prompts such as

'tap F10 for setup'
&
'tap F1 to access recovery'

or similar

You're right. it wont work very well if it is a retail disc you borrow (I know this from experience...), in fact, the install wont even let you put in your cd key, let alone activate it. However, borrowing someone else's OEM install disc should work.

Actually, it is possible to get a retail disk to accept OEM keys, but I won't go into any further detail than that...

Ripdog
19-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Trying linux would be a rather good idea, but macs are so much better.

However, you would be best off running a scan with avast (anti spyware is worse at killing spyware then anti virus) and running zonealarm to prevent more crap getting in.

Metla
19-03-2007, 07:57 PM
(anti spyware is worse at killing spyware then anti virus)

Either Im reading that wrong or its some incredibly crap advice.

Are you suggesting that Avast cleans out spyware better then dedicated anti-spyware apps?

Ripdog
19-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Personal experience + professional tests. Ive never had anti spyware remove anything but tracking cookies, but avast has removed plenty of spyware.

Have to admit, the test is about 2 years, old, i need to research this a bit more :P I think ill remove the comment.

EDIT: Bah, cant edit the above.

Plus running as little software as possible is the best idea for him/her.

Metla
19-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Then you weren't running an anti-spyware program that was any good, Even 2 years ago the likes of Adaware and spybot were the best tools for removing spyware, Better then the best spyware detecting abilities of the best anti-virus programs, Of which Avast is not counted.

Fine for a freebie though, Just not something to be recommended as a replacement for a dedicated spyware removal app.

I am yet to see a functioning Spyware removal program only remove cookies.

Speedy Gonzales
19-03-2007, 09:00 PM
I am yet to see a functioning Spyware removal program only remove cookies.

Rogueremover which has just arrived on the scene, seems to be pretty good for the rogue software crap thats about.

Well most of the hard to get rid of fake programs, that most people cant kill.

Altho it's only got 268 rogue software programs in its database atm, it shouldnt take too long for them to add more.

And trojan remover removes quite a few adware/spyware entries.

Neither of these deal with cookies.

Morgenmuffel
19-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Okey Doke, i have actually scanned the machine etc and removed trend anti spyware and it has come up clean as a whistle, it's just slow, definitely thinking a bit more Ram should boost performance