PDA

View Full Version : IE problems

cookiemonster
19-12-2006, 10:44 PM
Hi all
I ran spybot,McAfee spyware/antivirus in normal an safe mode(found a few minor gremlins)I've checked and double check all my connections,I rang telecom to check that,they say:Your've got a virus blah,blah,blah run antispyware/virus.I rang router provider they seem to think same thing,yet my programmes found only minor stuff.

If I open more than 1 IE page,I get dns error,check your internet connection via tools,plus check your SSL's,TLS's done all that they all ok...the only thing I found that'll let me open more than 2 IE pages is open internet connection and clicking >> repair connection.

any ideas anyone :confused:

C:yuck::xmouth:kiem:horrifiednster

Renmoo
19-12-2006, 11:26 PM
Does that apply to other browsers if you have any?

Cheers :)

cookiemonster
19-12-2006, 11:35 PM
Have Mozilla,below is typical error,with slight diff if using IE

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at en-us.start.mozilla.com.

* Check the address for typing errors such as
ww.example.com instead of
www.example.com

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

C:badpc::badpc:kiem:groan:nster

cookiemonster
19-12-2006, 11:40 PM
Below is th IE error

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. You can set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings (if your network administrator has enabled this setting).
Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
Select Automatically detect settings, and then click OK.
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

C:eek::mad:kiem:(nster

Renmoo
19-12-2006, 11:48 PM
Let me get this right. You have to use the "repair connection" tool every time you want to open more than one tabs in IE7 without having any pages being not loaded? What firewall do you use for your computer / laptop? Have you tried checking out Opera Internet Browser and see if the same problem applies to it as well?

Cheers :)

cookiemonster
19-12-2006, 11:54 PM
Yes,correct,If I open say IE then open another IE or mozilla,the only way to open the second page is to use " repair connection"
and no I haven't,but will try it see if I get same problem.

C:help::lol:kiem:2cents:nster

cookiemonster
20-12-2006, 12:39 AM
Opera Internet Browser,same type error.

Windows Firewall : ON
McAfee firewall:On

C:nerd::)kiem:blush:nster

PinoyKiw
20-12-2006, 08:38 AM
I would personally only run one Firewall though whether that is the cause of your problems......I have XP.Pro and under security settings in Ctl.Panel, it says that at least one of my firewalls is turned on, that would be Nortons as I know it is active. Not sure how you turn off the Windows Firewall, assume it is via the Control Panel which would allow McAfee to run on its own?

Are you on Dialup or ADSL. If on Dialup, maybe you have such a slow connection that you are unable to load more than the one page.

I have the same problem though with ADSL, once in a blue moon, Firefox or my second browser, IE6 will simply fail, rebooting the computer restores that. Turning off the modem and refreshing is another way but doesn't work on this computer.

Maybe you have something else running not being detected by Spybot or your virus program, some of the newer malware/virus's can over ride your security programs so they will appear to be running/updating when in practise they are not.

Try looking in Start > Run > type in msconfig > press enter > go to the StartUp tab and see what is running in there.

Also a program called HijackThis I think it is called, I am not familair with the program or its printout of findings but am sure someone here would be able to read the results if posted.

cookiemonster
20-12-2006, 09:52 AM
Adsl connection,done your suggestion,but dont know what to look for??

anyways have them now setup so they run throught Router,main then family.
Both have same isssue,I think I maybe infected,can the infection jump from computer too computer?

Does HJT need to be run on both computers?

hence needing x2 posts to help solve issue/s with both computers?

How to post such posts so not to confuse those trying to help once one computer is free from issue,but other still has issue?

Sounds a but confusing,I'm not good at explian stuff to paper,hope this post now explians it all. (lol,off to find some panadol)

C:cool::rolleyes:kiem:dogeye:nster

Rob99
20-12-2006, 10:08 AM
first step;
Turn off windows firewall;
Network connections > Properties > Advanced tab > Settings

Then test, if problem fixed end else second step

second step;
Turn off McAfee firewall

Test again, if problem fixed reverse first step and end else third step

third step;
Download the latest HJT and post the log here

cookiemonster
20-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Hmmm,Windows and McAfee were both windows firewall,no diff in issue on both computers,So I assume I run HJT and post twice for both computers correct??

If correct I'll title post as> Main Computers Hjt file, second post will be Family computers Hjt file, hows that,not too confussing I hope??

C:blush::blush:kiem:horrifiednster