PDA

View Full Version : New computers inbuilt video card is ****e so how do I get my old one working?

Fishy
19-12-2006, 12:15 PM
I just got a new computer cos the old one broke. Just before the old one broke I bought a MX4000 64mb PCI video card because it didn't have an AGP slot. The new one we got isn't that flash but it's ok. Pentium D 3.06 Ghz and 512mb of ram on a ASUS P5VDC-MX motherboard. Problem is, that motherboard has an inbuilt video card on it which is complete crap, it may be 64mb but it is crap. The IT guy that built the computer for us said he tried to get my PCI video card to work but couldn't. I tried too but I don't want to break anything so i'm a bit cautious to do anything. What I want to know is, does my motherboard support PCI video cards and if so how do I make it work? Because I really don't want to fork out money to buy a new AGP one at the moment. I am going to buy a new one soon though, so suggestions for that are welcome to. Doesn't have to be top of the line ultra flash thing just one that runs newish games (e.g. fifa '07) on medium-high settings.
Thankyou.

Speedy Gonzales
19-12-2006, 01:01 PM
I would say thats what the V means in P5VDC-MX. Onboard video.

Well look on the motherboard, any white slots? Those are PCI slots.

If there are NO white slots, then no u cant use PCI cards.

But, by the looks of it its got 2 PCI.

So turn the PC off open the case chuck the card in a PCI slot, Voila.

But if you've already tried this and it doesn't work, you may have to disable the onboard video for the PCI videocard to work.

Thats if the monitor turns on after u put the PCI card in.

qazwsxokmijn
19-12-2006, 01:12 PM
Pentium D 3.06GHz? Sounds like a single core to me. There is no Pentium D 3.06GHz, only 3.00GHz. You may have been fooled to buy a Pentium 4 524 3.06GHz with HT technology (lol I've watched Dell's ad too much).

Anyways, make sure you have the driver ready to be installed before you plug in the PCI video card.

Speedy Gonzales
19-12-2006, 01:17 PM
Anyways, make sure you have the driver ready to be installed before you plug in the PCI video card.

What? u don't need the driver before u install a card.

You can install the drivers after.

SolMiester
19-12-2006, 01:28 PM
With new Mobo and in-built video, the BIOS is looking for the occupation of the AGP port to automatically turn off on-board and use the dedicated card. BUT, you have a PCI card, so you will need to turn off on-board manually and stipulate PCI as video (I forget the setting, something about 1st display device)

qazwsxokmijn
19-12-2006, 01:29 PM
Oh yeah....8)

SolMiester
19-12-2006, 01:41 PM
U know, I think the chip on the mobo will be better than the mx4000!

SolMiester
19-12-2006, 01:47 PM
Oh, you may need to set an IRQ to PCI VGA also!

Fishy
19-12-2006, 02:35 PM
Pentium D 3.06GHz? Sounds like a single core to me. There is no Pentium D 3.06GHz, only 3.00GHz. You may have been fooled to buy a Pentium 4 524 3.06GHz with HT technology
Whatever, all i know is it IS single core but i thought it was pentium D, maybe its pentium 4 then. It doesnt really matter to me.

I have chucked in the PCI card then turned on the computer and set the PCI to primary display but then neither works so I have to unplug the PCI to get the inbuilt working again.

With new Mobo and in-built video, the BIOS is looking for the occupation of the AGP port to automatically turn off on-board and use the dedicated card. BUT, you have a PCI card, so you will need to turn off on-board manually and stipulate PCI as video (I forget the setting, something about 1st display device)
This is true, I have chucked in an old nVidia TNT2 card and it defaulted to that straight away with nothing being changed.
As far as the chip on the mobo being better, it isn't. I think it might be broken or something.
When I try play CSS (which ran at about 25-30fps on MX4000) it goes about 8-10fps. But whats weird is if i try play CS 1.6 which is ancient, it still plays at 8-10fps yet it needs graphically alot less power. Whats also weird is no matter what setting I put the graphics on in either game it stays the same fps.
And when not in game (and also in game) when anything is set to screen resolution of 1024 x 768 or higher the screen starts jumping when there is a load on the computer. It's really odd.

Oh, you may need to set an IRQ to PCI VGA also!
In english please?

SolMiester
19-12-2006, 02:52 PM
Fishy - from BIOS>advanced Menu> PCI/PnP setting, assign IRQ to PCI VGA.

Fishy
19-12-2006, 03:48 PM
It was already set to yes...
Any other ideas?

PENTIUM
19-12-2006, 05:13 PM
It will be a CMOS setting, it needs to be told to look for the PCI [non on motherboard video]first, and you also need the monitor plugged into the PCI video card [guess you know that, but I have seen it happen]!

Fishy
19-12-2006, 06:05 PM
lol yes I know I have to have the moniter plugged into the PCI card.
Ummmm what cmos setting? I cant seem to find any relating to video or graphics...

Fishy
19-12-2006, 06:47 PM
:help: Also i'm going to get a good video card as well and try to get this to work in the meantime. Can anyone suggest one (AGP:() for no more than $250?
nVidia or ATI i don't care. :help:
Ta.
But help on getting this PCI one to work in the meantime would be much appreciated!

pctek
19-12-2006, 09:42 PM
The BIOS setting is there - try Onboard VGA

GeForce 6800 GS 128MB, AGP

Fishy
20-12-2006, 12:41 PM
Yay it worked! There was a setting that made it default to either AGP or PCI video when a card is plugged in. Changed it to PCI, and voila it works now! Yussssssss thanks pctek

SolMiester
21-12-2006, 12:57 PM

As I said Fish....do you have a manual for the motherboard?

pctek
21-12-2006, 01:39 PM
Yeah - download the motherboard manual from the manufacturers website.