PDA

View Full Version : Second hand or Auction Windows

Njb
18-12-2006, 09:44 AM
Hi. I want to build a new PC and need a copy of Windows XP. I note that copies are sold in places like TradeMe for less than retail. I am only interested in a fully legal copy. Can anyone explain how I can be sure that I am getting a legal copy. For example one auction does not have a COA. The seller is adament that it is a legal copy. You need the product key to activate it. What is the COA used for.

If someone has finished with their copy of Windows can they sell it to me.

pcuser42
18-12-2006, 09:58 AM
You can always download Vista RC1 from the Microsoft website.

trig42
18-12-2006, 10:15 AM
It is only legal if you get the COA label with it.

Strictly speaking, you aren't allowed to sell an OEM version of windows (that's the one that comes with the product key sticker that sticks to your box) without the hardware it came with, and retailer shouldn't sell you an OEM version without selling you 'vital' pieces of hardware at the same time.

If you are getting a copy of Windows off trademe, make sure it has the origianl CD and the original product key sticker. On retail copies, that came on the back of the CD envelope/case, on OEM copies, it's on the COA sticky label, which is really hard to get off the side of a PC.

The_End_Of_Reality
18-12-2006, 10:21 AM
You can get a BRAND NEW LEGAL copy of XP Home OEM for $176.70 at Ascent, that way it is gaurenteed to be working and legal, very cheap as well.

And as for Vista RC1, there are lots of bugs in it and it will only be active till June/July next year, plus MS are not giving out keys anymore and RC1 is NOT available for download due to Vista RTM be in released, infact Vista is in stores now :eek:

drcspy
18-12-2006, 10:26 AM
it's on the COA sticky label, which is really hard to get off the side of a PC

actually it's very easy if you just heat it with a hairdryer ...... :-)

CYaBro
18-12-2006, 10:49 AM
You can get a BRAND NEW LEGAL copy of XP Home OEM for $176.70 at Ascent, that way it is gaurenteed to be working and legal, very cheap as well.

If they sell you an OEM copy without some PC hardware it is illegal as well.

mikebartnz
18-12-2006, 11:14 AM
You can always download Vista RC1 from the Microsoft website.
Which then dies sometime early in the new year so is probably no use to them.

Terry Porritt
18-12-2006, 11:22 AM
$148 at Dick Smiths, clearance offer for the XP Home OEM, you need to buy some hardware too, but that's ok if you are going to build up a computer, item number XC4026.

beama
18-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Which then dies sometime early in the new year so is probably no use to them.

is that the same as xps BSOD mine does that every week:eek:
must I quote Geoff Palmer again

The_End_Of_Reality
18-12-2006, 12:18 PM
If they sell you an OEM copy without some PC hardware it is illegal as well. I asked Ascent if I had to buy and hardware with it and they said no

CYaBro
18-12-2006, 02:44 PM
I asked Ascent if I had to buy and hardware with it and they said no

Then they are in breach of Microsofts Terms & Conditions of selling OEM software and should be reported.
Suppliers like that really p... me off. Makes me wonder why Microsoft bother with all the rules etc if they don't enforce them.