PDA

View Full Version : can i transfer all the files off a hard drive to another hard drive?

Fishy
17-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Is it possible to transfer EVERYTHING from my existing hard drive to another hard drive? They are both plugged into the computer but I got a bigger one that I want the OS on but I cannot be bothered reinstalling everything as that was done about 2 weeks ago when we got this computer, (its brand new)
Is that possible?
If it is can someone please tell me the most idiot proof way of doing it?
Thankyou

davehartley
17-12-2006, 08:56 PM
It's not as easy as simply dragging the files from one window to another ... but it can be done. You have to use a partition copy program to duplicate the image of your old HD onto the new one. There are some freeware ones out there, or you can use a commercial one like Ghost to do the job.

Even then, you'd have to use a boot manager or swap the drives' master and slave settings to be able to boot off the new HD.

Fishy
17-12-2006, 10:49 PM
It's not as easy as simply dragging the files from one window to another ...
Yea I know that cos I tried :p
Ummmm this ghost thing, do you mean norton ghost? That came on the computer. How would I go about doing it with that?

davehartley
17-12-2006, 11:02 PM
Been a while since I've done it with Ghost ... from what I remember, you use the Ghost windows program to make a boot disk, which you then restart the computer with. Once you've booted into Ghost, you can choose to make a local copy of one partition to another. Choose your old HD as the source, and the new HD as the destination, and away it goes :)

Don't forget -- without either changing the jumpers on the HDs to swap master and slave, or without using a boot manager, you won't be able to boot off the 2nd HDD.

Hope that helps.

trig42
18-12-2006, 08:24 AM
If it's a new version of ghost, you can set it to do it in windows, then it reboots into a dos environment and performs the clone.

Just make sure you have the right disks selected otherwise you will clone and empty disk onto your OS one.

Once it has finished, you just set you new drive to be the boot disk in BIOS (if they're SATA) or set the new disk to Master if it's IDE.

B.M.
18-12-2006, 09:51 AM
Here's a helpful site. ;)

http://ghost.radified.com/

RealBigDog
21-01-2007, 03:02 PM
If you're running win2000 or XP, you can use the free program Drive Image XML