PDA

View Full Version : WinXP Installation woes

zahmad
17-12-2006, 08:00 PM
I tried installing Windows XP Professional on my Win ME computer.......I started up setup......when all the way until it restarted.....after it restarts....it looks for the drivers.....and then says Setup is starting windows.....and then it does nothing :(.....coming upto the Setupr is starting windows screen takes about 20 seconds......

I don't know what to do....and I need some help :help:

All :help: appreciated ;)

Speedy Gonzales
17-12-2006, 08:15 PM
Are you doing a clean install of XP??

Not trying to install it while you're using Windows ME?

zahmad
17-12-2006, 08:56 PM
Yes....I am trying to do a clean install while Win ME is installed...but not loaded to the Desktop of Win ME though!

Speedy Gonzales
17-12-2006, 09:10 PM
But did u boot from the XP cd, not install from within ME?

zahmad
17-12-2006, 09:21 PM
I first tried booting it....it did the samething......but without asking me for the key etc.....and then so therefore I tried from within Win ME.

::Edit: Same thing meaning getteing stuck at "Setup is loading Windows"...

pctek
17-12-2006, 10:10 PM
Make sure the PC can run XP well. Not barely meeting requirements.

Then boot off the XP CD, at drive detection, FORMAT the drive first, then let the install contine.

zahmad
18-12-2006, 10:09 AM
There is no place where I can choose the option of FORMATTING the Drive!

Speedy Gonzales
18-12-2006, 10:37 AM
There is, if u go into the BIOS, change it to boot from the cd, save the settings.

Chuck the XP cd in, let the cd boot to the XP install screen.

Tthen it'll come up with a screen where u can format the hdd, and whether u want FAT or NTFS.

This is where u format it. Forget about trying to install XP, while you're in ME.

Whatever u want to keep save it to floppy or something now. Don't copy programs that have already been installed, install them again after XP has been installed.

zahmad
18-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Thanks for all your help.....XP is installed and perfectly working.....the problem was that it stuck at "setup is starting windows" for about half a minute and then started working perfectly fine....due to my lack of patientness.....I thought it was not working. Thanks to all ur help.....

.......while on this topic....I have made 3 partitions in total during the installation.....but the other 2 partitons after the install....i can't use as it says its hasn't been formatted....should I format it to use it.....and how so ;)?

Speedy Gonzales
18-12-2006, 05:18 PM
i can't use as it says its hasn't been formatted....should I format it to use it.....and how so ;)?

Go to control panel / admin tools / computer management / disk management.

Find that hdd entry / the unallocated partitions / right mouse and initialize / format.

zahmad
19-12-2006, 10:32 AM
One of those partitions I will use for Linux dual boot.....so should I partition that also....or just leave it?

Sherman
19-12-2006, 03:25 PM
One of those partitions I will use for Linux dual boot.....so should I partition that also....or just leave it?

leave it.

Linux uses its own formatting (eg: ext3). Therefore formatting it from windows will be a waste of time. (as windows only formats to FAT32 or NTFS).

Also, you will probably need more that one partition for linux, so you may end up deleting that partition and making 2-3 smaller ones in its place anyway.