PDA

View Full Version : 64-bit Anti-Virus for Vista

Chilling_Silence
17-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Hey all,

Just looking into some AV software for 64-bit Vista.

Tried my 32-bit fav AVG 7.5 and it didnt like installing it. Fair enough. I didnt bother trying to install it in 32-bit compatibility mode.

Anyways, whats out there thats native 64-bit.. and ideally free?

Do 32-bit viruses even work on 64-bit vista? My thinking would tell me yes... mind you Im not sure how many are even out for it yet, but better safe than sorry ;)

Cheers

Chill.

Speedy Gonzales
17-12-2006, 08:10 PM
Looks like Avast (http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html) have a free Home Edition thats 64 bit.

Don't know what the diff is between this and the Pro version.

Dannz
17-12-2006, 08:17 PM
Avast free is pretty good, i use it for clients. you dont miss much from the pro version (nothing interesting anyway)

Chilling_Silence
17-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Cheers guys, didnt know that Avast supported 64-bit :)

Thanks!

Nomad
17-12-2006, 08:27 PM
Sorry being so newbie, is the 64 bit for memory allocation so they are better for intensive applications such as heavy photoshopping, CAD work and stuff and database and html. What about games and normal things?

winmacguy
17-12-2006, 08:31 PM
Hey Nomad, 64bit is ideal for photoshop, design,Auto CAD/Archi CAD, engineering, DV editing and any games that have been written for 64bit.....I don't know enough about games to know of any that have been. Pretty much any general apps like word and such, 64bit would be a waste of time.

Chilling_Silence
17-12-2006, 08:38 PM
So pissed me off, the damn UAC popup came up when it Avast says "Virus database has been updated" and greyed out my screen waiting for me to accept that Anti-Virus was updating. Can I not add my AV program to like an "exempt" list? Stupid thing.... Im already beginning to just click "Okay" without reading what it is, defeating the whole purpose of it :(

64-bit gaming will eventually be the way to go.. when the creators make them natively 64-bit that is :-/ Rule of thumb is that stuff's generally not 64-bit in windows these days, everythings still 32-bit and will probably continue to be for some time. If you really wanna take advantage of your 64-bit CPU, then go install Gentoo (Which Ive also done) and you WILL notice a speed difference, the performance rocks!!

For daily desktop use like browsing the 'net (Or writing websites for that matter), emails etc, there's no advantage running 64-bit windows over 32-bit at the moment, especially seeing as drivers are more scarce. So unless you have a specific 64-bit app you wanna be running in Windows, either try 64-bit Linux or stick with 32-bit doze :(

stu161204
18-12-2006, 12:19 AM
Chill have you got 64 bit version of Vista?, if you do could you PM me?, Ta :)

Chilling_Silence
18-12-2006, 08:29 AM
Still playing around with RC1 mate, didnt get RC2 in x64, only 32-bit ;-)