PDA

View Full Version : Samba Reload?

SurferJoe46
17-12-2006, 06:24 PM
Esp to Jen...or anyone else with a good base in Mepis:

Is there any way to reload Samba?

I have tried to delete the file, but cannot seem to accomplish what I want to do. Do I need the install disc again or do I just try a repair to the whole opsys?

What is the command line to rectify this problem?

One of the things I find which kinda scares me is this:
"Some versions of Samba are reported to contain a vulnerability that may be exploitable by a remote attacker, who is authorized to access a shared file system, to access files located outside of the authorized directory tree that has been shared using Samba.

Exploiting this vulnerability does not grant the attacker additional permissions; it only will allow viewing files outside of the shared path.

This vulnerability is reported to affect versions of Samba including 2.2.11 and earlier and 3.0.5 and earlier.

The vulnerability is caused by a bug in the code that converts DOS-based path names to Unix path names on the Samba host.

The Samba development team has released version 2.2.12 of Samba to repair this problem and has released a patch for Samba 3.0.5 and earlier.

A possible workaround is to set wide links = no in the smb.conf configuration file."

OK..so I am lost here. I figure that I need to get Mepis totally loaded first and get past this hang-up to be able to get to the repair...right?

SurferJoe46
17-12-2006, 06:40 PM
I also note that I had TELNETD running..and I think this is a security risk..right?

I AM running on a network and need to have Samba up and well.

Chilling_Silence
17-12-2006, 08:00 PM
You're using MEPIS which is debian based IIRC, so use apt or whatever package management software it has to get the latest "unstable" version of Samba if that really worries you.

When you say "Reload" I get the impression you're thinking like a windows user, that a reload would fix the problem... better to rm -rf /etc/samba rather than reload the package file. If you're meaning "Upgrade", then thats another story there, and I'm reading between the lines

Telnet isnt specifically a security risk having it running, the daemon itself is secure, but you're best to disable it and use ssh to remotely access your machine as telnet is un-encrypted and if you're accessing your box from the 'net remotely via telnet then somebody could theoretically perform a MITM (Man In The Middle) attack and compromise your password

SurferJoe46
18-12-2006, 06:45 AM
... better to rm -rf /etc/samba rather than reload the package file.

OK...I do that and get this:

Using IPI Shortcut mode
ACPI wakeup devices:
PC10 USB0 VAR1 KBC MICE
ACPI (supported S0 S1 S5)
VFS: Cannot open root device "<NULL>" or unknown-block(8,3)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernal panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block(8,3)
_ :waughh:

personthingy
18-12-2006, 11:41 AM
I'm asuming you wish to update Samba in Mepis?
Not sure if client or server, but anyway.......
Mepis uses Synaptic package manager, which is a user friendly front end for "apt"

To do this with command line, open up a shell, and follow each of these lines.

su personthingy@2[~]$ su -
Password: < insert your root password here >
root@2[~]# apt-get remove samba

After removing, one can
"apt-get install samba"
thus insuring the latest greatest fastest version, red racing stripes and all.

To do it with synaptic, open synaptic, search for samba, and select samba, and rightclick to chooseupgade, and push the apply button.

SurferJoe46
18-12-2006, 05:04 PM
OK...clear as mud I am about my problem.

I cannot get past the Samba time out...I am running grub and Mepis is on hdb and XP on hda.

I time out if I try to get it all loaded up and running, so when I hit the memory test - XP - Mepis choice, I just cursor up to the memtest and then cursor back to Mepis to stop the countdown clock.

Then I type in the command line that you gave me...right?...in the command line area...right?

Gads...I hope so.

I do have another .iso of Mepis on cd-rom, and another copy residing in a file area as an .image on another puter just in case.

What I want to do..is not necessarily update as much as repair the Samba that is hanging up. I was hoping that I could just pop in the whole Mepis .iso and allow Samba to repair itself from it's own files used in the original installation. That obviously isn't gonna happen..so I guess I have to somehow grab the file (using WHAT opsys?) and then write Samba over the corrupted area.

Jen
18-12-2006, 06:09 PM
Is this the same problem that you posted about in this thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=74598)? When you failed to get back to us, I just assumed you had it fixed. What have you done since with the OS?

Looking at the lastest kernel panic errors, it suggests you have done something to GRUB as it is reporting an error with the root line. I assume it worked fine before?

I would just call it quits now and reinstall Mepis. Much faster.

personthingy
18-12-2006, 06:55 PM
OK...clear as mud I am about my problem.
OK... i'm totally confused here.
I suspect that you are doing what a lot of experienced windows users do, in so much as you seem to have a strange understanding of what grub does in relation to the rest of the system, including samba.
What Grub does in relation to samba is nothing at all
Grub is simply a boot loader. It sits in the very beginning of the hda, and fires up the first programs, that are needed to allow the OS's to the bizzo of starting up, where-ever they may be. It also provides the menu offering which OS you wish to use. For the purpose of Grub, that is probably Windows, Mepis, and a memory test that Mepis seems to like installing as a boot option. Once Grub has done it's thing, it's all over, and the chosen OS takes over the machine.
Grub will not stop Samba from running, unless it fails to start Mepis altogether.

I'd go with Jen, i'd reinstall Mepis
It's really hard to work out what needs to be done when you have deleted files. Easier to just reinstall. Once you done that, it will be easier to set it up samba fresh, and/or update, thus letting apt (or synaptic) sort out what has to go, be updated or added. as it's not uncommon for what seems to be a simple update to automaticly involve changing a few hundred files.

SurferJoe46
18-12-2006, 07:08 PM
Is this the same problem that you posted about in this thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=74598)? When you failed to get back to us, I just assumed you had it fixed. What have you done since with the OS?

Looking at the lastest kernel panic errors, it suggests you have done something to GRUB as it is reporting an error with the root line. I assume it worked fine before?

I would just call it quits now and reinstall Mepis. Much faster.

I just tried this line ( rm -rf /etc/samba ) and got those results...

But now, I've rebooted and gotten it all back to working really great.

I guess it was that line that fixed it all...and I didn't know because I was gonna wait for a while and see what answers I got...sorry...

But all is good right now...the Mepis swinging barbell screensaver is running just fine, and I can access the internet on my LAN and the printer's working and the sound card is good...gads...I am happy!

Thanks all! :cool:

Jen
18-12-2006, 07:39 PM
Well, good to see you're a happy camper again! :)

The best way to learn Linux is to break it a bit, and then figure out what happened and how to fix it. If you make a complete mess of things, just reinstall and start again.

From your previous thread it suggests you were trying to network a Linux box to a Windows box using Samba but it went a little pear-shaped? Don't give up on this, and give it another whirl. There are plenty of really good guides on how to do this. Just use Synaptic (I think Mepis uses this) to install the Samba packages again. Give us a shout if you get stuck. :)

SurferJoe46
19-12-2006, 05:25 AM
It might've been just a friendly accident, but I have no problem networking the Mepis and the XP on my LAN at all...they work and play pretty well together.

I think that my problem was a power loss one day that might've scrambled Samba a little, but that command line worked, although I didn't know it at the time.

I am using Mepis on an older Dell P3/700 right now and it runs well although I am a little perplexed at all the loading of modules and searching for hardware Mepis has to do each and every boot-up.

Might try to see if some of that clutter can be eliminated.

...also want to see if I can communicate with my Palm Clie' and iPAQ handhelds; I don't hold much faith in that I can talk to a Windows-based iPAQ...we'll see.

Sound card and vid cards are all running well...so it looks like I am pretty well up and running...now to tweak a little.

Having a little more experience under my belt would be best...but like I say..this is an almost vertical learning curve and unfortunately there is no way I can get you or another Mepis expert here alongside me for coaching in the tough spots.

I'm gonna have to birth this baby all alone...<sniff> with long-distance help. Wishing there was a junior college or adult class in "L"...thanks for all the patience and help from youse guys......:thumbs:

personthingy
19-12-2006, 07:24 AM
although I am a little perplexed at all the loading of modules and searching for hardware Mepis has to do each and every boot-up. The loading of everything possible bothers me as well. My personal machine is only a little bit faster than your old p3/700 and Mepis is a little to demanding with just a bit much happening, from what in can figure, much is not needed.

Having just loaded Debain on the server here under Bletch's kind phone guidance, i am tempted to try it on my personal machine, but first i'm going to get rid of as much as i can in Mepis using synaptic package manger. Hopefully this will remove the sluggishness i see here.

I'll let you know how it goes.

SurferJoe46
19-12-2006, 09:46 AM
My problem would be recognizing what is necessary and what isn't. The names of these are all pretty new to me and I am having a little problem with Linux-speak.

I find myself using the Enermax/SOYO w/XP to Google for definitions and identities as to what is what.

This ain't your father's Oldsmobile!

o^o

personthingy
19-12-2006, 10:27 AM
My problem would be recognizing what is necessary and what isn't. The names of these are all pretty new to me and I am having a little problem with Linux-speak. Thats why using synaptic package manager (http://www.millerton.co.nz/images/f1/synaptic.png) is recomended. It offers the description so that you don't remove something that you didn't realize that you need.

SurferJoe46
19-12-2006, 10:31 AM
I am running Smb4k, the SMB/CIFS Share Browser, and can see all the drives on my XP side of the puter.....WOW!

Accessing the XP puter from the Mepis unit is easy somehow....another accident? Bi-directional reading and writing to files is working and the shared folders are all accessable too. Good thing I use OpenOffice on both of them I think.

The MEPISGRP & MSHOME tree expands and shows everything...why can't Windows do this? Hah!

.....even see my Firefly and Iomega Zip too...and they aren't currently plugged into a USB hub/port...Hmmmmmmm.....

Just wondering why I see the LAN as: Windows 2000 LAN Manager.

Cute!!

Graham L
20-12-2006, 03:29 PM
rm -rf {something} (as root) is very dangerous, and is one of the oldest *nix jokes. An accidental space in the command can have major consequence.

The usual form of the (bad) joke is" #rm -rf /tmp , which will remove the "/tmp" directory and any subdirectories. If your finger slips and the command comes out as #rm -rf / tmp, which has a very slightly different effect. That will delete the root directory and all subdirectories, before failing to remove a "tmp" directory in the current directory. :thumbs: It will fail to do that only because the current directory will have been deleted, along with every other part of the system. It will, however, prodece a lot of free disk space.

Ctrl/C will sometimes leave you with a recoverable system. If you are quick enough.

SurferJoe46
20-12-2006, 05:33 PM
Yeah...I didn't recognize the dire consequences that might've happened, I just trusted the comline I got and it worked...somehow.

It wasn't directly obvious though, and a reboot showed it all fixed.

Anyway....the days of figForth made me very aware of spaces and little squiggly lines and such......I was fortunate, maybe not astute.