PDA

View Full Version : laptop and home network

k8smum
17-12-2006, 05:39 PM
Hi. I have a new work laptop. I have tried to get it to work both as part of our home network - plugged into the router - and bypassing the router - plugged into modem. We have cable. I get an error message as follows:
"The tree or server cannot be found. Choose a different tree or server. Select workstation only checkbox to login in to the local workstation...."
What am I missing/doing wrong? I have no technical knowledge (surprise!). Work said "just plug it in". Apologies for my dumbness :blush:

Speedy Gonzales
17-12-2006, 06:34 PM
Looks like that error has something to do with Novell client software, which most people wouldnt use.

Unless they have it at work.

Somehow, I don't think u can link it up to your home network. Since you most probably haven't got the right software or drivers installed for it at home.

winmacguy
17-12-2006, 06:35 PM
Hi. I have a new work laptop. I have tried to get it to work both as part of our home network - plugged into the router - and bypassing the router - plugged into modem. We have cable. I get an error message as follows:
"The tree or server cannot be found. Choose a different tree or server. Select workstation only checkbox to login in to the local workstation...."
What am I missing/doing wrong? I have no technical knowledge (surprise!). Work said "just plug it in". Apologies for my dumbness :blush:

Hi k8smum, the easiest thing I can think of is to get/ask one of your work IT people to come and sort the problem out for you. Windows PCs and home networks are not always that easy to set up judging by the reports that I have read by some NZ PCWorld editors who have set up their own home networks.
PS.Your not "dumb", just normal. Macs are easier to set up on a home network than PCs, actually sometimes they are just easier.;)

k8smum
17-12-2006, 07:06 PM
Yes, we have novel client software at work. Others have laptops and work from home sometimes with no problems...

Speedy Gonzales
17-12-2006, 07:16 PM
Yes, we have novel client software at work. Others have laptops and work from home sometimes with no problems...

What version of XP have u got?

By the looks of it Novell client software doesn't work on XP Home. As I think it needs a domain which Home hasn't got.

Only

2.1 Supported Windows Platforms

The Novell Client for Windows supports the following Windows operating systems:

* Windows 2000 Professional
* Windows 2000 Server
* Windows 2000 Advanced Server
* Windows Server 2003 Server Edition (32-bit versions only)
* Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition (32-bit versions only)
* Windows XP Professional
* Windows XP Tablet PC Edition

IMPORTANT:The Novell Client does not run on Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP 64-bit Edition, or Windows Server 2003 64-bit version.

As stated

here (http://www.novell.com/documentation/noclienu/clientreadme/data/ncw_readme_sp3.html)

k8smum
17-12-2006, 07:55 PM
running win xp pro

Speedy Gonzales
17-12-2006, 09:16 PM
I would as Winmacguy said, get one of your IT people to connect it to your network.

I would say most of the ppl here wouldn't know what Novell client is, or how to add it to an XP network.

beama
17-12-2006, 10:05 PM
I do speedy
Novell dosnt use domains and you can trick home into logging into a novell network been there done that type of thing Using the novell client (it involves a usb pen drive)

that is a novell client error msg which happens when you are not connected to the network that the tree or server the client is setup to register with

two ways round it

tick the box that says workstation only normally found bottom left hand corner of the login box The novell NOS should have set you up as a user on the laptop when you first logged into your work network

2. if you read the error message to the end the final question is do you wish to login into windows instead, press the enter key, the button that has focus is the OK button.

or go contact your support people if that fails

beama
17-12-2006, 10:25 PM
just reread the original post and relaised I missed a bit
if your work uses dhcp, your home router should reassign ip settings to suit your network and like wise when you go back to work
but for this to work you must have tcp/ip bound to your nick, the older novell networks used ipx/spx and didnt need tcp/ip. not untill version five of The novell OS has tcp/ip become part of the default install for the client ( if I remember my versions correctly)

SolMiester
18-12-2006, 01:42 PM
I am a Novell administrator, well, I was 5 yrs ago!!...LOL

You almost had it there, place the tick in the box for local workstation login. So the client isnt off looking for the server.

Not sure what username you can use on the laptop, Novell client are usually configured to login to the local workstation as administrator, but that is done via backdoor.

I would ask your IT people what local user account you can use for home use. I doubt they will give you the admin a/c, Novell may have even aready created a user acc for you the same as your normal work logon. What do you do when out and about from work?

k8smum
18-12-2006, 05:30 PM
Hi. Things have moved on a bit since yesterday. I am currently waiting for a callback from our support bods because although I managed to log on, I now can't get past the VPN client login screen. I assumed that I would have the same username and password as for my work set-up (and have been told that it is) but no go with that. Now there's a suggestion that our home network firewall might be a prob. As far as what I do when out and about from work, the fact is I am either at work or I'm at home working - never a need to carry a laptop anywhere else (thank goodness).

winmacguy
18-12-2006, 05:42 PM
Hi k8smum, good luck I hope you get it all sorted out soon.:)

beama
18-12-2006, 06:19 PM
I am a Novell administrator, well, I was 5 yrs ago!!...LOL

Not sure what username you can use on the laptop, Novell client are usually configured to login to the local workstation as administrator, but that is done via backdoor.

Snap Sol, Novell certified me also

Sol if you setup workstation manager on the install of the client then ZEN Works will interact with this client software module to create users (volatile or non volatile, supervisor or non supervisor) on the local machine depending on which Zen Works policy the user is associated with.

k8smum
18-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Whew! 2 hrs+ on the phone to support people. They have now left things at the "we don't know what else to try" point. It's so frustrating. They tell me the error log is saying there are multiple users with my username and login trying to connect and the number of logins have been exceeded (or words to that effect). And they're still insisting that it's "probably" the way our router has been configured that's stopping it from working properly, or at all. Weird. Someone's backside is going to be kicked tomorrow, that's for sure. Thanks for your help, everyone.

SolMiester
18-12-2006, 08:50 PM
Sorry we couldnt be of more help to you mate, corporate network layout arent usually something users are familiar with.
Were you trying to use your home internet connection to just surf the net, or connect up to your work network? If the former, then by rights, connection to the router should be enough with a local login account or even a cached domain account, however if you wanted a work connection I'm sorry I mis-understood you.

Good luck

k8smum
18-12-2006, 09:53 PM
Yes, the intention was to access work remotely. I had access via vasco token using my own PC but the connection only lasted about 9 minutes at a time, then I'd spend two or three minutes reconnecting, only for it to drop out 9 minutes later. Our support team couldn't resolve this issue either. I also need to be able to access WCM and apparently that couldn't be achieved via vasco token anyhow - hence the laptop. One thing I find a little intriguing though - when I hooked the laptop up to our router earlier this evening it seemed to immediately be accepted into our network. I did not change any settings (and I wouldn't know how to in any case). I could see our home network in Win explorer and a separate network for my work laptop. And I could surf the net using the laptop. Just couldn't connect into work remotely...

SolMiester
18-12-2006, 09:58 PM
Hi...
There is not way we can help you here, as we dont know your work network/security setup.

I think your best bet is to let the IT dept handle it.

k8smum
18-12-2006, 10:09 PM
Yes, well I'd like to think that someone somewhere in the organisation can get to the bottom of it. But I'm not holding my breath.
Have a great Christmas :)

winmacguy
18-12-2006, 11:08 PM
Hell hath no wrath like a woman frustrated by technology.:thumbs: Kick some a**!
Unfortunately I haven't had any personal experience of working remotely via long on with Windows to give you any suggestions, As a Mac operator at work most of my issues revolve around corrupt fonts and cross platform file version compatibility, generally everything else like working on remote websites, downloading and FTP just works.

k8smum
19-12-2006, 01:01 PM
Well, for those of you who could care less (and I mean that in the nicest possible way) the latest is that it IS the home network setup that is creating the problem. I escalated things at work slightly and paid a visit to the IT Manager this morning. As soon as I said we had a network set up at home he said "there's the issue". Jeez. I did say we had a home network when I first raised the question of remote access using laptop a month ago and was told there would be no prob. Now it looks like work has to cough up for another modem, configured by/to suit my work, which I will have to plug into our broadband. Can you get modems with switches that would allow me to switch easily from home to work PC? And what about billing? We have a 10GB/mth plan at present which I suspect would soon be chewed through uploading stuff from work. And I thought all this would be easy! :waughh:

SolMiester
19-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Well, for those of you who could care less (and I mean that in the nicest possible way) the latest is that it IS the home network setup that is creating the problem. I escalated things at work slightly and paid a visit to the IT Manager this morning. As soon as I said we had a network set up at home he said "there's the issue". Jeez. I did say we had a home network when I first raised the question of remote access using laptop a month ago and was told there would be no prob. Now it looks like work has to cough up for another modem, configured by/to suit my work, which I will have to plug into our broadband. Can you get modems with switches that would allow me to switch easily from home to work PC? And what about billing? We have a 10GB/mth plan at present which I suspect would soon be chewed through uploading stuff from work. And I thought all this would be easy! :waughh:

K8smum....you will have to be careful with your terminology with the IT manager. When you say to him, you have a home network, he may take that literally, meaning that you have a windows domain network, which I doubt you have.

I would imagine you simply have a router which various pc's plug into to receive IP addressing and internet access. You may even have a firewall taylored for your private IP addresses.
Having not worked with the (in my opinion bestnetwork operating system of Novell) for 5 yrs, I'm not sure where to start with configuring your laptop to talk to your work network.
In my LAN which is part of a national WAN, we use the Telecom PON's network, meaning, with have to go into the router and change username and password in order to authenicate to our own RADIUS (remote authenication dial-up access server) to create our connection. After that, we use Terminal Services.

Most remote work sites create VPN tunnels to your servers using the internet.

How Novell does this now, I dont know.

winmacguy
19-12-2006, 04:55 PM
[QUOTE=SolMiester;508453
In my LAN which is part of a national WAN, we use the Telecom PON's network, meaning, with have to go into the router and change username and password in order to authenicate to our own RADIUS (remote authenication dial-up access server) to create our connection. After that, we use Terminal Services.
.[/QUOTE]

SolMeister I got a headache just reading all of that:groan:

winmacguy
19-12-2006, 04:56 PM

I got a headache just reading all of that.:badpc:

k8smum
25-12-2006, 10:48 PM
Hello and Merry Christmas all. Just thought I'd let you know a guy came for a couple of hours Friday arvo, fiddled around with various things, discovered his laptop worked fine with our home setup, thought "Hmmm, that's odd. Maybe it's something to do with your (my) laptop settings". A call to a clever bod on the helpdesk, somewhat further up the ladder than those he/I had been deadling with to that point, and the problem is fixed! I can log into work completely independently of our "network". Yay! Now I can check email/monitor urgent work requests remotely. In the end it was all a pretty simple solution. Thanks all for your help and have a happy and safe New Year.

winmacguy
25-12-2006, 10:52 PM
Hi k8smum, I was wondering how you were getting on with your work/home network loggon. Glad you got it sorted and Merry Christmas.

Edit: Just for future reference you wouldn't happen to know what settings he adjusted or changed?