PDA

View Full Version : Two Windows 98se setups in one computer?

worl
16-12-2006, 07:34 PM
In one computer, can I run two different Windows 98se setups, each one on it's own hdd, and switch between them using bios?

tweak'e
16-12-2006, 07:46 PM
seen it done. installed on seperate partitions and switchable useing a boot loader, saves mucking around in bios.

Poppa John
16-12-2006, 07:58 PM
Worl........Just out of curiosity, why do you want to??? PJ

worl
16-12-2006, 08:08 PM
I have several small Hdds and one of them is my 'good copy' of Win 98se and others are used to 'play with'. It would be nice to have two of them installed at the same time so that I do not have to do 'hardware work' when switching from one to the other.

Poppa John
16-12-2006, 08:53 PM
Worl.....Ok, Thanks . That makes sense. PJ

Jen
16-12-2006, 08:58 PM
A faster way of doing this is to use a removable hard drive caddy which fits into a spare 5.25" bay (same as CD bays). The hard drives are put into a tray which slides in and locks into the caddy holder. You just slide in which ever hard drive you wish to use and it only takes a second to change them around. Each drive is set to master still seeing as you only use one at a time. Nice and simple. :)

Here is an example of the caddy and tray you could use: 3.5" Removable Rack & Tray (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH5067).

worl
17-12-2006, 07:46 AM
Thanks for that idea Jen. I may look at that.

In the meantime I have taken out my cdrom and now only have two hdd's on the two 40 pin ide cables, one on primary drive 0 and one on secondary drive 0. I can switch between them with bios and they both run win98se ok.

Now, can I safely put my cdrom back as slave on secondary drive 1 and still do the bios switching of the hdds? I seem to recall reading somewhere that this is ok but that there may be some loss of performance?

I have a Dell Optiplex GX110 733mhz and 196mb.

Speedy Gonzales
17-12-2006, 07:59 AM
I would put both hdds on Primary Master and slave.

And put the cd by itself on secondary master. And you're right its not a good idea to put cds or dvds on the same IDE connection as a hdd.

worl
17-12-2006, 08:07 AM
Hi Speedy. You describe my original setup where I could not switch hdds in bios.

And you're right its not a good idea to put cds or dvds on the same IDE connection as a hdd.

Is this your own experience? What would be the result?

Speedy Gonzales
17-12-2006, 08:13 AM
Hi Speedy. You describe my original setup where I could not switch hdds in bios.

Is this your own experience? What would be the result?

No its a known fact. As you said it can slow things down due to the different speed/s of the hdd's and cd's/dvd's. if they're on the same IDE connection.

worl
17-12-2006, 08:19 AM
What slows down? Is it only the transfer of data between cd and hdd, or is the hdd's operation slowed down all the time, even when the cdrom is not being used?

Speedy Gonzales
17-12-2006, 08:21 AM
Well if u want to leave it as is, so be it. You'll find out.

davehartley
17-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Getting back to the original question ... I've used a boot loader to do exactly what you want to do for some years now, Worl. I've had up to 8 OS's on different partitions -- and different drives -- able to be booted up with a single keypress during the boot process. I started off with wanting a separate Win98 installation so the kids could muck about with games and whatnot, and not trash my OS :cool: I ended up with Win95, Win98SE x 2, Linux, Win2K and WinXP x 2 PLUS a DOS partition running MSDOS 6.22 and Win3.1 (for historical purposes only!) spread over two HDDs. And, as stated earlier, both HDDs were on the Primary IDE with my optical drives on the Secondary.

Anyhow, if you're interested, you can find the download here: http://www.ranish.com/part/xosl.htm The BIOS always boots the boot loader ... you then choose which OS to boot. It's free and it works :)

worl
18-12-2006, 05:45 AM
Thanks muchly for the info Dave. I have looked at the link you provided. There appears to be some alternatives to download. What at that site did you download and use?

davehartley
18-12-2006, 11:16 AM
The file you want is XOSL 1.1.5, which is a zipped file containing a manual in HTML and the program itself. It takes a bit to set up properly, but I find it works really well. It helps to have a plan of attack--knowing what you want before you start will minimise headaches.

Basically, you copy the installation files onto a floppy, boot off that, and install. The program changes the boot sector to load the manager instead of the OS. From then on, when you boot you can choose which partition/drive to load off. Of course, these must have OSs loaded on them to start with!

The help files say that the best way to do it is to install into a DOS drive, which you can do very easily -- especially if you're running Win98 on FAT32 drives. I just made a very small (32MB) one at the end of my HD to put it on, as I had a mixture of NTFS, FAT16, FAT32 and Ext2 partitions. The DOS approach seems a lot more straightforward -- keeping it simple! If you do want to make a dedicated partition, you must do it before you try to install.

If you're wanting to reorganise your HD, the same site has a free partition manager that works -- not as nicely as Partition Magic, but well enough for me :D For you, tho', here's what I'd do:

Have one HDD with a 'good' copy of Win98SE
Download XOSL, and copy the installation files onto a bootable floppy.
Download Ranish partition manager, copy it onto another bootable floppy, boot into it and clone the good copy of Win98SE onto the 2nd HDD
While you're in there, make a small (~16-32MB) partition at the end of one of the drives -- doesn't matter which -- for XOSL
Reboot with the XOSL installation disk, and install to the partition
Reboot, and set up the menu on XOSL to have two items -- one for each HD.

Just be careful when making partitions -- there are rules about where partitions can and can't start and stop. :) Just to make it easier for you ...

(Note: This is what I'd do .. others may have different ideas, of course. And this info is to be used at your discretion -- if you trash your HD, I take no responsibility! :waughh: )

Let me know how you go :cool:

davehartley
18-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Oh .. and the preceding assumes you have a floppy drive to boot off ... since you're using Win98, I hope I'm safe enough thinking that! Never had to do this without one yet ... but I have done this many time to many friends' computers -- for the same reason as I did, so the kids can download/trash the OS/whatever, and my data/OS is safe :)

worl
18-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Thanks for that info Dave. Grateful for your input here.

And yes I have a floppy drive.

My practice has been to have the 'good' win98se hdd for backup purposes and then try different 'add ons' or alterations on a clone of this hdd. If I like the alterations and they work well, this latest hdd then becomes the 'good' copy and I clone from this and so on. I have been using Maxblast to clone.

With your method, could I still do this?

davehartley
18-12-2006, 05:52 PM
Yup, this would work well. In fact, the only difference between what you're already doing and this is that you can choose which HD to boot off at startup time.

And, as long as Maxblast can copy one partition to another (not just make a mirror copy of the whole drive) then you don't need the Ranish partition manager, and XOSL can live happily in it's own wee partition, separate from anything else on the HDD.

worl
18-12-2006, 06:48 PM
In fact, the only difference between what you're already doing and this is that you can choose which HD to boot off at startup time.

Yes, this would be nice, to be able to choose by keystrokes or mouse rather that hdd swapping manually.

And, as long as Maxblast can copy one partition to another (not just make a mirror copy of the whole drive) then you don't need the Ranish partition manager, and XOSL can live happily in it's own wee partition, separate from anything else on the HDD.

I have cloned a partition on one hdd to the whole of another hdd with Maxblast, but I don't think it can copy a partition in one hdd to a particular partition in another hdd, but I am not sure about this. I will look into it. I find Maxblast very easy to use, (as long as one of the hdds is a Maxtor).

I will certainly investigate your suggestions. Thank you for your efforts here.

davehartley
18-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Yeah, being able to copy one partition to another is a great facility -- it means you can move Win98s around as needed, even across HDs. I know Ranish can, as can Partition Magic, but I've never used Maxblast. The problem with wiping one drive with another's contents is, of course, you'll obliterate XOSL! Whcih kinda defeats the purpose of the whole exercise ...

I find Ranish ok -- especially since it's installed with XOSL and can be run from the main menu when the computer starts up.