PDA

View Full Version : Firewire in Vista or Linux.

gum digger
16-12-2006, 12:30 PM
Hi
I am having alot of problems with my firewire. i wanted to test them out on latest OS such as Vista the latest beta. and linux. i am going to plug in my VDO camera . has anyone tried it yet?.

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2006, 12:39 PM
I haven't tried either of them.

Whats it saying when u plug the cam in? Does Vista detect it?

Wouldn't the driver have to be 64 bit?

Did you try changing the firewire card? from a VIA card to something else??

Maybe its stuffed? I take it, u turned the cam on , so Windows could see / detect it?

gum digger
16-12-2006, 12:52 PM
I want to try it, i havnt yet. just wanted to know if other ppl have tried it.
Do u have VIA chipset card?. mine is onboard & i have also have a dse firewire card which didnt work. i think it also has via chipset. btw hw to recognize the chipset?.

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Don't think this card is VIA.

I don't know what it is. But it's working.

So, you have onboard firewire and a PCI firewire card?

Or just the PCI firewire card?

I know the onboard chipset isn't VIA. For the mobo. Its Intel.

You haven't given either ip addresses have u? Coz u don't.

If u know what DSE card it is, go back to the DSE site. It'll tell u what the chipset is..

gum digger
16-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Don't think this card is VIA.

I don't know what it is. But it's working...

[QUOTE=Speedy Gonzales;507700]So, you have onboard firewire and a PCI firewire card?
i have a onboard one originally. PCI i had from my old pc. used it on my new one but no luck

Or just the PCI firewire card?

I know the onboard chipset isn't VIA. For the mobo. Its Intel.
My mobo is MSI 945 P platinum. I know the firewire is VIA bcoz it has big VIA writings on the chips on mobo & it says VIA Ohci compliant ... in device manager

You haven't given either ip addresses have u? Coz u don't. NOooo!

If u know what DSE card it is, go back to the DSE site. It'll tell u what the chipset is.. I bought it from DSE 3 years ago i dont think they sell now. Its called Dolphin the chipset on it has a dolphin sticker but under it says VIA
chk out http://www.dolphinfast.com/dolphinfast-bin/support.cgi

Jen
16-12-2006, 10:22 PM
Both your onboard and PCI Firewire chipsets are apparently supported by Linux so they should work fine.

PCI - Dolphin Firewire (http://www.dolphinfast.com/products/1394.html)

Onboard Firewire - VIA 6307 chipset (http://www.linux1394.org/view_device.php?id=595)

gum digger
16-12-2006, 10:41 PM
What about Vista?. Can i use bootable linux to connect vdo cam?

Jen
16-12-2006, 10:48 PM
You can certainly try using a Linux live-CD to access your video camera. You might have to try more than one as live-CD's can be a bit more limited with what they support compared to a hard drive installed OS.

Cannot comment on support under Vista.

gum digger
16-12-2006, 10:51 PM
OK i willl try linux 2mrw. Can someone help me find a non - VIA firewire?.

Speedy Gonzales
17-12-2006, 06:24 AM
Ah thats what it is, mine is a Dolphin PCI card.

I remember seeing Dolphin on it like in the pic in the link u gave.

Its got 3 inputs on the back and one connection on the card, which u can use internally.

BUT, if u use the internal connection, it'll use one of the external connections (so u cant use one of the external connections at the same time).

I would say mine is the same as yours. So, it should work (on XP).

I'm pretty sure I got this card from DSE. Which was a while ago now too.

Hmm if that mobo which by the looks of it does have firewire onboard, I would try and figure out how to enable it, it maybe enabled but u need a bracket for the onboard connections. And it looks like it uses the same chipset as that PCI card.

gum digger
17-12-2006, 07:44 AM
Ah thats what it is, mine is a Dolphin PCI card.

I remember seeing Dolphin on it like in the pic in the link u gave.

Its got 3 inputs on the back and one connection on the card, which u can use internally.

BUT, if u use the internal connection, it'll use one of the external connections (so u cant use one of the external connections at the same time).

I would say mine is the same as yours. So, it should work (on XP).

I'm pretty sure I got this card from DSE. Which was a while ago now too.

Hmm if that mobo which by the looks of it does have firewire onboard, I would try and figure out how to enable it, it maybe enabled but u need a bracket for the onboard connections. And it looks like it uses the same chipset as that PCI card.

Can you look at the serial number and check if its the same card as mine. Because i have been trying to solve this problem from 2 years, now i will finish only after solving it. Which motherborad do u have?.

For my onboard one, all the wiring is done up properly. the onboard firewire is enabled from bios (or else it wouldnt have appeared in device manger) i have also tried a bracket.

Speedy Gonzales
17-12-2006, 08:01 AM
I'm not going to open the case again, I've only just replaced the mobo, and put the PCI card in, since the old mobo died.

BUT, I'm pretty sure its the same as yours.

This is an Asrock P4 mobo.

Since this is the only one I could find around here lol. For this P4 CPU.

If you were round here in Auckland, I could check it out for you.

gum digger
17-12-2006, 08:46 AM
Yeh. May be there is conflict between the VIA chipset. It cant be my camera because it works on other firewire cards & use to on my old computer using the dolphin card.
I am really confused what do you think i should do?.

Speedy Gonzales
17-12-2006, 08:52 AM
Well where r u? Are u in Auckland?

Like I said if u were around Mt Eden, I could check it out.

gum digger
17-12-2006, 10:46 AM
Yeh i am in auckland. i can come to eden. How much would you charge ?

Speedy Gonzales
17-12-2006, 12:59 PM
I'll wont charge you anything.

Can you bring it here before 3 today, or after 3 tomorrow?

Its just that I flat with someone and they're a bit fussy bout me making a mess when I fix PC's lol.

I only need the case, I can use one of the monitors / keyboards / mouse here, since I've got 2-3 spares here.

Speedy Gonzales
17-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Yeh i am in auckland. i can come to eden. How much would you charge ?

Ah GD delete some of your messages / PM's. Its too full. I can't send u a PM.

gum digger
17-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Deleted!

Chilling_Silence
17-12-2006, 07:48 PM
I agree with the Linux LiveCDs... specifically a media-centric one :D

Not been impressed with Vista at all, driver support still sucks, majorly.. mind you Im running the x64 version, but even my SB!Live 5.1 Channel soundcard wasnt picked up, and thats ooooooold stuff now. Picked up the Onboard Realtek AC '97 sound though, so thats a start I suppose :(