PDA

View Full Version : IE7 install problem (again)

linw
16-12-2006, 10:13 AM
Just when I thought I had the solution to IE7 install problems I now have another that won't install in spite of running the bulk access permission fixer.

What is it with access denied to HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Main/Start Page? It can't be changed with regedit and is always the entry that stops IE7 installing. Both Admins and System have every permission allowed but it still fails even with ZA, AVG and Win Defender off.

Thoroughly hosed off with the hours wasted on this bloody program and hope someone knows the answer even though I can't get it from googling.

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2006, 10:45 AM
I don't think its IE7. I think you've been hit with some virus / worm or something.

I would post a HJT log.

linw
16-12-2006, 11:09 AM
Not so. This is a completely new install on a brand new drive and it has been scanned. But thanks, anyway.

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2006, 11:19 AM
Well, I would say you've got some kind of browser hijacker somehow.

Other than that, you could try using trojan remover and reset everything including the homepage / hosts file. See if that fixes it.

Safari
16-12-2006, 11:40 AM
http://winonline.blogspot.com/2005/11/reset-entire-registry-permissions-to.html

linw
16-12-2006, 12:04 PM
Did this, Safari. Worked for another machine but not this one.

OK, I have now got it installed. Don't know which of the changes I did made it work but this is what I did.

- Uninstalled both avg and ZA rather than just disable
- ran msiexec /unregister then msiexec /regserver
- Added SYSTEM user to HKC-Root hive and gave full permissions

Thanks for replies, guys.