PDA

View Full Version : Which laptop to go for?

Renmoo
15-12-2006, 08:23 PM
Dear all. A friend of mine is going to pursue first-year engineering next year. She wants to buy a laptop to facilitate her study needs and has consulted me for advice on what notebook to go for. I reckon something like this would be good:

-Intel Centrino 1.5 GHz clockspeed
-512 MB memory
-80 GB of HDD
-15" display size
-DVD / CD writer combo drive
-A few USB ports
-Integrated webcam or biometric scanner would be a plus

Does anyone know of such laptop (or something similar) that is currently on offer?

Cheers :)

hsv-b0y
15-12-2006, 09:05 PM
I Have just completed my first year Studying Mechanical Engineering.
I Have an Acer Aspire 3624 (with extra 512mb ram) and its been great. Nice and light, and not bulky so it fits in my bag great.

Something to ponder, It may be helpful to get a system that can run AutoCad, as this really is great (at least for mechanical engineering anyhow).

Student versions of this program can be bought for $120 (give or take a bit) and that includes Inventor (3d modeling) and Auto cad (2d).

Renmoo
15-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the comment, hsv-b0y :)

winmacguy
17-12-2006, 06:27 PM
Dear all. A friend of mine is going to pursue first-year engineering next year. She wants to buy a laptop to facilitate her study needs and has consulted me for advice on what notebook to go for. I reckon something like this would be good:

-Intel Centrino 1.5 GHz clockspeed
-512 MB memory
-80 GB of HDD
-15" display size
-DVD / CD writer combo drive
-A few USB ports
-Integrated webcam or biometric scanner would be a plus

Does anyone know of such laptop (or something similar) that is currently on offer? Cheers :)
If she is not "anti-Apple" she could try the 13" Intel Macbook which will happily run ArchiCAD, Vector Works, and a number of other apps as well as Parallels and Windows XP for those Windows only Engineering apps

http://seminars.apple.com/seminarsonline/dwg/apple/index.html

Apple.com/nz do very good student prices.
http://www.apple.com/nz/macbook/macbook.html
She will also be virus, adware and trojan free!
Hope that helps.

Renmoo
17-12-2006, 08:42 PM
Hiya. Her budget is about $1800. Would windows applications run perfectly well on Apple OS? I have never tried an Apple notebook before, so it is quite hard to me to give her a good recommendation (though I am pretty certain that what you had suggested is good).

Intel Duo Core 2 is better than Centrino (Pentium M), right guys?

winmacguy
18-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Hi JamesKan,
OK looks like the basic MacBook might be a bit outside her budget of $1800 NZ unless you haven't included the cost of 2-3 years worth of Antivirus and PC tech repairs/maintenance into the purchase cost of the PC Laptop unless you daughter can get a friend to do that for free.
Apple do Flexi rent which is same as Hire Purchase which could make it easier to stretch.
(unless you get a good free 1 like AVG which I use at home on WinXP)

Antivirus/Trojan software is not required for Mac OS X
MacBook specs:
* 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* 512MB memory (upgradeable to 2GB)
* 60GB hard drive1
* Combo drive

Estimated Ship: within 24 hours
Free Shipping
NZ$ 2,079.00
Apple do some reasonable deals for students on hardware and software. They also have pretty good instore support at the Auckland Uni Computer store on Symmonds St.
More details below.
http://store.apple.com/0800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/nzstore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=2D354187&nclm=MacBook

WinXP will run abosolutely fine on an Intel Macbook using Bootcamp (FREE download) and Parallels (3rd party app), from what I have read on it, it actually runs better. Your daughter will still need to install Antivirus for WinXP on the Mac though. She can also use OpenOffice software suite from www.openoffice.org which is FREE office software FULLY compatible with MS Office. I use it at home for Excel, Word etc. It saves as either WinXP format or OpenOffice format and works between Mac or PC.

Yes Intel Duo Core 2 is the next generation from Centrino so it is much better. The chip runs cooler so less battery power is needed to keep it cool

Hope this helps.
Cheers winmacguy

Note: Apple don't sell WinXP so your daughter may have to purchase a new copy or maybe re use an existing copy if she wants it on her MacBook although she would only need it for PC only versions of some apps.

http://www.apple.com/nz/education/hed/adc/science/matheng.html

winmacguy
18-12-2006, 12:38 PM
I don't work for Apple, I am just a Mac user.

Renmoo
18-12-2006, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the detailed explanation, winmacguy. She is that sort of person who prefers to buy it from a retail shop rather than from the virtual world. Besides this, she is more familiar with Windows interface than a Mac one.

Anyway, I will think about it.

P.S. She is a friend of mine, not my daughter :P

winmacguy
18-12-2006, 10:48 PM
Thats no problem at all. If she wants she can check out both options at HarveyNormans in Botany where they have an Apple kiosk with Apple people in store to show her the range, however if she prefers the familiarity with Windows that may be a more suitable option in the short term with regards to her student budget.
Best of luck.:)
winmacguy.

qazwsxokmijn
18-12-2006, 11:18 PM
Hi James, my supplier is currently giving me a special on some laptops. For something under $1800, I have the Acer Travelmate 4672LMi, a decent dual-core laptop. Full specs here:

http://uk.shopping.com/xPF-Acer-Acer-TMate-4672LMi-Duo-T2300-512MB-80GB-15-SXGA-XPP

Pricespy's cheapest is $1800+, as seen here: http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_8219.html

However, I can offer it to you for $1600 including free shipping. Do some homework on it, and tell me what you think. :)

maccrazy
18-12-2006, 11:24 PM
Besides this, she is more familiar with Windows interface than a Mac one.It doesn't take long to adapt to Mac OS X's interface. :) If she does want to install Windows as well, remember to factor in the cost of purchasing that if she does not already have a copy.

winmacguy
18-12-2006, 11:45 PM
Judging by all of the forum posts that I have been reading on this site by the members it would seem that JamesKan's friend would have a much easier time on a Mac with far less hasels than what most PC users encounter. I switched from Win98 to Mac OS9 in 2000 while studying graphic design and although I upgraded to WinXP back in 2003 I still prefer the Mac (currently v10.4) for work. I will hopefully be getting a G5 iMac on or after Christmas depending on when Santa arrives.....

Renmoo
19-12-2006, 01:53 PM
Hi James, my supplier is currently giving me a special on some laptops. For something under $1800, I have the Acer Travelmate 4672LMi, a decent dual-core laptop. Full specs here:

http://uk.shopping.com/xPF-Acer-Acer-TMate-4672LMi-Duo-T2300-512MB-80GB-15-SXGA-XPP

Pricespy's cheapest is $1800+, as seen here: http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_8219.html

However, I can offer it to you for $1600 including free shipping. Do some homework on it, and tell me what you think. :)
Is there any way that I can actually physically see and touch the laptop?

Hmmm... Graphic Processor - Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 950
I am looking for laptops that have dedicated graphics processor with a minimum of 256MB, since running computer models and simulation would be major part in engineering.

qazwsxokmijn
19-12-2006, 03:09 PM
Is there any way that I can actually physically see and touch the laptop?
Hmmm...maybe if you go down to QMB Computers at Mt Roskill on Sunday and meet my supplier.....

bonkiebonks
19-12-2006, 04:01 PM
If your friend is going to Auckland uni for her first-year engineering, she probably won't need a laptop. There isn't a lot of computer related assignment, and even if she has one, there are a lot of computers in the Engineering building. Plus, laptops can also be rented for free from the Information Commons. Most computers in the Engineering building are preloaded with all the software she will need to accomplish the assignment. I suggest she hold off buying a laptop until she starts year 2, and then she can decide what sort of laptop she will need since by then she will know what sort of specialization she wants to go into.

I just finished Year 2 of chemical engineering, and I didn't exactly needed a laptop in my two years (although I do have one). Just keep in mind the lecturers and the university don't expect students to own a laptop.

winmacguy
19-12-2006, 04:48 PM
Sounds like excellent advice. Plus if she holds off getting a laptop for 2 years Vista might actually be worth purchasing...

qazwsxokmijn
19-12-2006, 06:18 PM
JamesKan, I have 3 more laptops for you to choose from....lol...all cheaper than pricespy's cheapest, and cheaper than what I list on trademe since if you buy it outside of trademe, no success fee is inflicted on me.

Just search for my profile on trademe - phil-the-man and look at what I'm listing. If you see what you like, tell me here and I will give you the outside-of-trademe price.

Renmoo
19-12-2006, 07:44 PM
If your friend is going to Auckland uni for her first-year engineering, she probably won't need a laptop. There isn't a lot of computer related assignment, and even if she has one, there are a lot of computers in the Engineering building. Plus, laptops can also be rented for free from the Information Commons. Most computers in the Engineering building are preloaded with all the software she will need to accomplish the assignment. I suggest she hold off buying a laptop until she starts year 2, and then she can decide what sort of laptop she will need since by then she will know what sort of specialization she wants to go into.

I just finished Year 2 of chemical engineering, and I didn't exactly needed a laptop in my two years (although I do have one). Just keep in mind the lecturers and the university don't expect students to own a laptop.
Heya. What sort of laptops are we talking here that can be rented for free? She is going to Auckland University, by the way (Information Commons? Is it Kate Edgar?).

Hmmm... plenty of suggestions over here. I will go through one-by-one.

winmacguy
19-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Don't forget to factor the cost of protecting a computer system against 140,000 computer viruses against an OS that is virus free and doesn't get full of kludge after 12 months of use.

Renmoo
19-12-2006, 07:59 PM
And oh, her home computer is an ancient Windows 95 machine... so I guess this is also another reason why she may need a laptop.

qazwsxokmijn
19-12-2006, 08:04 PM
And oh, her home computer is an ancient Windows 95 machine... so I guess this is also another reason why she may need a laptop.

lol I thought 95 was ancient rock-ages. :p

Do ponder on what I'm offering you though.

Renmoo
19-12-2006, 08:17 PM
lol I thought 95 was ancient rock-ages. :p

Do ponder on what I'm offering you though.
Hey gazwsxokmijn. The only laptop deal that interests me is Acer Travelmate 4672 LMi CORE DUO, which is sold at starting bid of $1800.

What is ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 accelerator with up to 256MB HyperMemory? Does that mean that the graphics memory is shared with system's RAM? I was actually half-expecting that you can throw in a 1 Gig DDR2 RAM for that laptop, since it costs almost two grand.

winmacguy
19-12-2006, 08:24 PM

Ancient! That is positively prehistoric! They make good doorstops though ;)
The other problem with something as old as that is that it will be too old to recognise any current peripheral device like external hard drive, camera etc.
She could try a Mac Mini and a MacBook which will synch with each other with a minimum of fuss (compared to 2 PCs)
or she could get a cheap Asus or cheap Dell for $900-$1100 and load it up with all the necessary antivirus stuff that is required to make her computing experience "bearable".

qazwsxokmijn
19-12-2006, 09:22 PM
Hey gazwsxokmijn. The only laptop deal that interests me is Acer Travelmate 4672 LMi CORE DUO, which is sold at starting bid of $1800.

What is ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 accelerator with up to 256MB HyperMemory? Does that mean that the graphics memory is shared with system's RAM? I was actually half-expecting that you can throw in a 1 Gig DDR2 RAM for that laptop, since it costs almost two grand.

Indeed, HyperMemory means it will use the system's memory. However, since it is outside of trademe, the price is $1650, not $1800. I will ask my supplier how much it costs to get it to 1GB RAM, though.

Renmoo
19-12-2006, 09:45 PM
Indeed, HyperMemory means it will use the system's memory. However, since it is outside of trademe, the price is $1650, not $1800. I will ask my supplier how much it costs to get it to 1GB RAM, though.
Preferably, I would like the laptop to have a dedicated graphics memory. Thanks for all your effort. :)

qazwsxokmijn
19-12-2006, 09:50 PM
Preferably, I would like the laptop to have a dedicated graphics memory. Thanks for all your effort. :)
What is your friend's price range? I will try to find the best lappy for your friend at her price range.

bonkiebonks
19-12-2006, 09:51 PM
Heya. What sort of laptops are we talking here that can be rented for free? She is going to Auckland University, by the way (Information Commons? Is it Kate Edgar?).

Hmmm... plenty of suggestions over here. I will go through one-by-one.

Yups, Information Commons is Kate Edgar.

The rental laptops aren't anything extraordinary :blush: , but they do run on XP and they're all Compaq ones.

Renmoo
19-12-2006, 10:07 PM
What is your friend's price range? I will try to find the best lappy for your friend at her price range.
About $1800. Thanks a lot!

Also, thanks for the information, bonkiebonks.

Renmoo
04-01-2007, 01:30 PM
It is now down to these two laptops:
Acer 5102WLMi Notebook - http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/459c4677027a92ba273fc0a87f33071e/Product/View/XC3903

Specifications
* Processor: AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-50 processor (1.6GHz, 512KB L2 cache, 1600MHz FSB)
* Memory: 1GB DDR2-533, upgradeable to 2GB
* Hard Drive: 80GB, 5400rpm
* Optical Drive: DVD Writer, Dual Layer (DVD+⁄-RW)
* Display: 15.4 WXGA Wide LCD screen with 1280 x 800 resolution
* Video: ATI Radeon X1300 with 256MB Hypermemory
* Audio: SoundBlaster Pro and Microsoft Sound compatible, built-in speakers
* Input Devices: Ergonomic keyboard, Built-in touch-pad with ergonomic buttons
* Networking: Integrated 10⁄100Mbps Ethernet network port.
* Modem: Integrated 56K modem, V.92
* Wireless: Integrated 802.11b⁄g WiFi
* Card reader: 5-in-1 (xD, SD, MMC, MS, MS Pro
* I⁄O: 3x USB 2.0 ports, 1 x Modem port, 1x External display (VGA) port, 1x Type II PC Card slot, 1x Microphone-in⁄Line-in port, 1x Line-out port (for headphones⁄external speakers)
* Battery: Lithium Ion, 6 Cell
* Weight & Dimensions (mm): 2.82kg 358 x 269 x 29.8~33.8 (w x d x h)
* Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
* Software: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition Service Pack 2, Acer eManager, Acer eRecovery, Acer Launch Manager, Norton AntiVirusä 2004 OEM 90 day trial version, Adobe Acrobat® Readerä 6.0, Acer Aspire Arcade powered by CyberLink®, NTI® CD&DVD Maker , Acer GridVista
* Warranty: 12 months return to DSE & 1 year International Travelers warranty

Price: $1694 ($4 discount for being a member of DSE VIP club)

or

Asus A6m001 Notebook - http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:eRoG9lKTUF0J:www.bondandbond.co.nz/computers-accessories/computers-notebooks/notebooks/asus-a6m001-usr9602-mp160-asus-a6m001-notebook-package-deal-94590/index.html+Asus+A6m001&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&client=firefox-a
Specifications
* AMD Turion 2x TL50 (Dual Core 1.6ghz)
* 80gb 5400 rpm
* 1Gb DDR2 533mhz (2*512mn)
* DVD Supermulti with dual layer
* 15.4" WXGA wide colourshine screen
* Microsoft Windows XP Home
* 802.11b/g wifi, high definition audio modem
* 10/100 base nvidia geForce go6100 (up to 128mb)
* Built in Intel high audi modem & Web Camera
* INCLUDES
* NB Bag & Mouse (not sure if USB Skype Phone & Canon MP150 MFC still come with this)

Price: $1799.99

I would think that the first deal is better than the second one. What do you guys think?

I also realise the graphics card for both deals above are integrated ones. However, given that both come with 1 GB DDR2 RAM, I suppose that is not a big issue to be fussed about here.

winmacguy
04-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Well there appears to be more specs listed in the first one which is also cheaper. Plus if your using Free Antivirus and Firewall its even better.
:)

Renmoo
04-01-2007, 02:16 PM
I've forgotten to say this. The second one comes with MMC and SD card reader as well.

Renmoo
05-01-2007, 08:31 AM
bump

plod
05-01-2007, 09:03 AM
Are these laptops been sold as vista ready or premium ready?
me personally would be going for a dual2core.
It seems to me that DSE are getting rid of all there non vista ready notebooks.
If you buy one of these its going to be a white elephant before vista even comes out. Unless you plan to never run vista then disregard this post

winmacguy
05-01-2007, 09:08 AM
If you buy one of these its going to be a white elephant before vista even comes out. Unless you plan to never run vista then disregard this post

I would say that you would still be safe with XP for at least till the end of 2007.
Running Vista on a laptop with the full Aero GUI is going to drain your laptop battery after 2hrs use and using Vista without the Aero GUI is just like using a more bloated version of XP that does the same stuff anyway.

Renmoo
06-01-2007, 10:06 PM
Ouch, it seems that the Acer laptop has run out of stock in DSE. I guess the remaining choice is the second Asus one.

Specs: 1.6 GHz duo core, 80 GB HDD, 1 GB DDR2 and nVidia GeForce Go 6100 (takes up to 128MB of system memory), WiFi, integrated webcam - all these for $1800.

What do you think, guys?

winmacguy
06-01-2007, 10:20 PM
Ouch, it seems that the Acer laptop has run out of stock in DSE. I guess the remaining choice is the second Asus one.

Specs: 1.6 GHz duo core, 80 GB HDD, 1 GB DDR2 and nVidia GeForce Go 6100 (takes up to 128MB of system memory), WiFi, integrated webcam - all these for $1800.

What do you think, guys?

Well integrated webcam is becoming standard on virtually all laptops now although the bulk of them look a bit clumsy. As for the rest of the specs they look pretty standard. Don't for get to add another $100 or so dollars to the cost of the laptop for each year that you own it for the standard IT servicing that PC laptops tend to required these days.
I have a feeling that the majority of the hardware manufacturers are trying to clear their stock to make way for all the Vista capable stuff which will be coming soon, that would explain the low prices around stores right now.

My advice would be to hold off till next week if you can and see what is announced at both CES and MWSF and then check the prices around the stores again.

Or

Take the Acer now.

Just my 2 cents.
Goodluck. :)

Metla
06-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Feck, again with the CES and MWSF, are you on a payment scheme?, In love?, Where the hell is the black death when you need it?

winmacguy
06-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Feck, again with the CES and MWSF, are you on a payment scheme?, In love?, Where the hell is the black death when you need it?

Definitely NOT on a payment scheme with CES :eek: I just keep up with whats going on around the traps, the bulk of which will be announced at both events, which will then have a knock on effect as to what PF1 forum users will be reading about when they buy or upgrade their systems over the coming weeks. CES will be the biggy for Pf1 forum readers. Bill Gates, Micheal Dell and a whole bunch of others talking about all the new stuff coming out.

Metla
06-01-2007, 11:50 PM
Lmao, Bill Gates and Micheal Dell.

Yeah right.

They are right up there with Martha Stewart and Rosie O'Donnell.

Research will serve us better if not discount the bull**** peddalled at these marketing events.

winmacguy
07-01-2007, 08:54 AM
Lmao, Bill Gates and Micheal Dell.

Yeah right.

They are right up there with Martha Stewart and Rosie O'Donnell.

Research will serve us better if not discount the bull**** peddalled at these marketing events.

Couldn't have said it better myself Metla! :)

Renmoo
08-01-2007, 04:55 PM
I will consider the advice, winmacguy. What are CES and MWSF?

Meanwhile, I spotted a similar laptop deal at Dell. -> http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/inspn_1501?c=nz&cs=nzbsd1&l=en&s=bsd

After configuring the system specifications to 80GB HDD and 1GB of RAM, the grand total is NZD 1,584.00, which is significantly lesser than the ASUS one from Bond & Bond ($1799.99). The only major difference between those two is that the Dell comes with ATI Radeon® Xpress 1150 256MB HyperMemory™, while the ASUS comes with nVidia GeForce Go 6100 128MB (both are integrated graphics).

Meh... more choices... :annoyed:

winmacguy
08-01-2007, 05:04 PM
I will consider the advice, winmacguy. What are CES and MWSF?

Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas starting tomorrow for all things computing and otherwise http://www.cesweb.org/default.asp
and possibly not quite so important to PC users but exciting for us creative types, Mac World San Francisco
http://www.macworldexpo.com/live/20/
also starting tomorrow with Steve Jobs Keynote speech annoucing all the new toys which will be on Wednesday morning NZ time.

Go and check if there have been any further price changes after these 2 shows have started or just go with what you have previously decided on for your choice of new laptop.
Cheers

Greg
08-01-2007, 05:21 PM
with Steve Jobs Keynote speech Ooooooooo Steve Jobs keynote speech huh. I'll just have to book me a ticket urgently then. Can't miss a speech by the God of all Mac users now can I!

winmacguy
08-01-2007, 05:28 PM
Ooooooooo Steve Jobs keynote speech huh. I'll just have to book me a ticket urgently then. Can't miss a speech by the God of all Mac users now can I!

At least Steve has charisma :rolleyes: I take it you have never seen a Steve Jobs Keynote speech. For the uninitiated, Keynote is the Mac equivalent of Powerpoint. A Bill Gates Power Point presentation usually ends up being a yawn fest since everything that Steve announces is immediately available in stores where as Bill Gates tends to talk about wonderous yet to be created devices and applications (vapourware)

Normally after the new stuff gets announced quite a bit of the "old" stuff gets a few hundred dollars knocked off the price.

Metla
08-01-2007, 08:09 PM
and possibly not quite so important to PC users but exciting for us creative types, Mac World San Francisco

LMFAO, what a pratt.

winmacguy
08-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Well it's a big deal to me. :)

Johnny
09-01-2007, 01:12 PM
[edit: message removed]

[edit: please refer to my comments here (http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/showpost.php?p=514668&postcount=16) - Jen (Moderator)]

plod
09-01-2007, 01:35 PM
[Edit]

am I the only one that smells SPAM

winmacguy
09-01-2007, 01:37 PM
am I the only one that smells SPAM

;)

Renmoo
10-01-2007, 11:11 AM
Hi again. Would the difference between Intel Core Duo Processor T2050 (1.60GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 533MHz FSB) and AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-50 processor (1.6GHz, 512KB L2 cache, 1600MHz FSB be great? I know that the former is 32-bit based, while the latter is 64-bit based, and therefore technically the performance of AMD is better than Intel's. However, the question is would the difference be significant?

I quite like this laptop, to be honest: http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/45a404f9020c0fc62740c0a87f33068b/Product/View/XC3879, especially the graphics (NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7400 with up to 256MB memory (128MB dedicated + 128MB shared memory)).

winmacguy
10-01-2007, 11:53 AM
Hi James, Id go for the Core2Duo over the AMD since the Intel chip runs cooler and drains your laptop battery less. It is also good for multitasking.

Renmoo
10-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Hi winmacguy. It is not Intel Core 2 Duo, but Intel Core Duo. The latter is 32-bit based, but will that be a pull-down for that laptop?

winmacguy
10-01-2007, 01:27 PM
Hi winmacguy. It is not Intel Core 2 Duo, but Intel Core Duo. The latter is 32-bit based, but will that be a pull-down for that laptop?

Sorry, my mistake. I am still getting used to the naming. I don't see anything wrong with that chip in the laptop. Intel have moved away from the megahertz myth where by they are no longer trying to get the maximum speed possibly from a single core on silicon as this generates too much heat with the actual reduction of performance as a trade off. They have instead gone for the multi core approach where the individual cores are slightly slower but when combined produce a faster speed with less heat generated so less power required. Bit like the old proverb of "many hands make lite work".

It would be an advantage for the laptop, if your just running regular apps like word and email and web during the day you wont exactly be taxing the processor on the laptop. Just remember that in six months from now your machine will have been superceded what the next upgrade.

If I was looking for a new computer or lap top I would be more interested in what the OS could do for me and what I would be planning to use the lap top or computer for. But that is just my opinion.

Renmoo
10-01-2007, 01:43 PM
That's it. After a few weeks of researching, I've decided to go for this: http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/45a404f9020c0fc62740c0a87f33068b/Product/View/XC3879

The HP Pavilion dv6122TX Notebook.

winmacguy
10-01-2007, 01:51 PM
That's it. After a few weeks of researching, I've decided to go for this: http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/45a404f9020c0fc62740c0a87f33068b/Product/View/XC3879

cool good luck :)

george12
10-01-2007, 01:55 PM
Winmacguy, I really don't see where you're coming from with this talk of antivirus costs and $100 per year maintanance. The only regular maintanance a PC should require is a re-install of Windows every couple of years. It's not difficult to do, and I have no doubts that when that time comes James will be perfectly capable or installing Windows himself.

James will also, I'm sure, be well aware of decent free anti-virus programs such as AVG and Avast. There's nothing he should need to pay for apart from the laptop itself.

winmacguy
10-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Winmacguy, I really don't see where you're coming from with this talk of antivirus costs and $100 per year maintanance. The only regular maintanance a PC should require is a re-install of Windows every couple of years. It's not difficult to do, and I have no doubts that when that time comes James will be perfectly capable or installing Windows himself.

James will also, I'm sure, be well aware of decent free anti-virus programs such as AVG and Avast. There's nothing he should need to pay for apart from the laptop itself.

Fair comment, I was just talking worst case senario. I do use AVG free, Ad Aware and Kerio FREE firewall myself at home on WinXP. At work on the Mac re-installs are not required and like Linux we are not susecptable to PC viruses.

george12
10-01-2007, 02:37 PM
Fair comment, I was just talking worst case senario. I do use AVG free, Ad Aware and Kerio FREE firewall myself at home on WinXP. At work on the Mac re-installs are not required and like Linux we are not susecptable to PC viruses.

Yeah, I certainly know what you mean though. I always just have to think, when someone brings up this point, that I only have to reinstall every two years, taking about 2 hrs, and have never had a virus (Avast). Macs are definitely more stable etc, but with a PC it just takes a bit of sense to keep it going just as nicely.

winmacguy
10-01-2007, 02:42 PM
Y Macs are definitely more stable etc, but with a PC it just takes a bit of sense to keep it going just as nicely.

Yes, horse for courses I guess you could say. Mac users tend to deal more with file and font compatibility issues during the day obviously due to the line of work. You can cause them to crash but that takes quite a bit of effort. As for a Mac around the house they pretty much just keep on keeping on with no fuss, it is the pluging devices in and networking between machines that is much easier but each to their own.

harryb
26-01-2007, 12:21 PM

Hi. Would like to know what your friend thinks of this laptop? I am considering leasing/purchasing the same model. I would like to know her impressions? :rolleyes:

Thanks
H

Nomad
26-01-2007, 01:04 PM
Leasing may not be the most economical way. In some weeks it could really pay for itself.

I think there is no correct or incorrect way of a laptop. You may not need a international warranty. Get the laptop which has a reputation and has what you want under the keyboard. Some users may prefer a modular drive bay, many has a DVDRW now, some can take a 2nd HDD instead if that is of importance. There are also some battery saving CPUs, not sure if all of them are now though. I like a good keyboard so its nearly identical to the desktop, especially if you are a touch typist. I personally like IBM Thinkpads or Lenovo is it now days. I am sure there are others out there too. One of the first steps is really choose what you require and what size you prefer. There are full size lappies that may have a gamers card in it but the more portable versions few do. There are ones with one optical drive or ones that does not support any optical drives internally but are more portable.

Do you need a laptop. At my uni days, I hardly took it to the library or lecture or group meeting. One of my computer regrets was I could of just built up a cheap good computer, now days they offer free delivery and it only take half a day to install it (with software), buy the monitor locally or get it shipped free as well. At the end of the year grab the HD out and return home or take the tower case with you and leave the rest over there. I personally found them expensive, not mobile and non upgradeable and on the slow side. A laptop is not mobile, you just have to make do and the laptop at today's age is the best for what is currently available. Once you factor in the bulky power brick. If I was doing field trips maybe I get one or if I was a businessman or doing seminars and stuff. On a similar note, would I go overseas on a holiday or around the country with a laptop just to backup my photo's yeah right. There are other avenues to take. These days, students, I am sure a stereo any size is more bulkier. Or do most students these days listen to a iPod with headphones or portable speakers :confused: Not to mention all the stuff once you start going flatting.

harryb
26-01-2007, 01:17 PM
Thanks Nomad.

I am self employed and travel a lot. Some colleagues suggested I look at leasing as my current laptop is about 4 years old and is a bit of a brick especially for long-haul travel. Talking to my accountant next week, so will decide then either to buy or lease.

Cheers
H

Nomad
26-01-2007, 06:46 PM
AFAIK for some high end A3 scanner flatbed, leasing could cost $500 a week easily. Even if its for a business that is pretty dear vs as a business and purchase for yourself up right.

For a laptop I assume $300 a week?

Metla
26-01-2007, 07:59 PM
For $300 a week it would have to come with a brand new Commodore.

plod
26-01-2007, 08:25 PM
For $300 a week it would have to come with a brand new Commodore.

is that a 64 or vic20?

Nomad
26-01-2007, 08:27 PM
Depends how long I guess for a $10k flatbed scanner it was around $500-600 a week, for a 1 month period.

If you want a lappie for a yr i guess it would be lesser depends on the length of course.

Renmoo
26-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Thanks Nomad.

I am self employed and travel a lot. Some colleagues suggested I look at leasing as my current laptop is about 4 years old and is a bit of a brick especially for long-haul travel. Talking to my accountant next week, so will decide then either to buy or lease.

Cheers
H
Hey Harry. No, she was not interested in that laptop, with the reason that the laptop has only a memory of 512MB. Despite it having a decent graphics, her emphasis on the performance of CPU and memory is greater than the video card.

RealBigDog
27-01-2007, 02:12 AM
Acer has some good laptops, but there are a myriad of models, and they differ greatly in features and useability.

If you can, buy from a shop with an open return policy, as sometimes you really don't find the problems until you use it, like noisy fan, a base or touchpad that is too hot, or integrated graphics that won't handle your favorite game.

I tried 2 Acers before I found the right one with a quiet fan on the side I wanted it for my setup (you don't want the hot air blowing on you all the time) and graphics that could handle Battlefield 2142 and RYL (ATI dedicated rather than integrated graphics).

Also, you'll get more power for your bucks with an AMD processor.

harryb
27-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Hey Harry. No, she was not interested in that laptop, with the reason that the laptop has only a memory of 512MB. Despite it having a decent graphics, her emphasis on the performance of CPU and memory is greater than the video card.

Thanks James.

Renmoo
07-02-2007, 03:24 PM
Just want to make a note here that my friend has decided to get the same laptop as mine (ASUS Z92T) from DSE, since the laptop comes with a decent CPU, dedicated graphics card as well as sufficient amount of RAM to meet her requirement. Despite costing $2100, she said she has been approved of her scholarship and therefore would be able to afford it.