PDA

View Full Version : Is Power Color Graphics Card good?

PedalSlammer
15-12-2006, 05:57 PM
Are Power Color Graphics Card good? I just wanted to buy this thing at an auction wonder if this is good or not. Or other brand is better?

pctek
15-12-2006, 07:01 PM
Its OK.
ASUS or Leadtek is better.

qazwsxokmijn
15-12-2006, 09:27 PM
From what I've heard and read, Power Color is decent enough. Sure will go for Asus first though. Leadtek and Power Color is probably the same in my opinion.

cbee
15-12-2006, 10:47 PM
As most of the cards that are manufactured are very similar to the reference design, there's really minimal difference between brands. Alot of the time the software bundle that comes with the card can be the deciding factor.
As Asus is the largest manufacturor your 99% guaranteed to get a good card.
Sapphire is another good brand you can add to your list. I was using a Sapphire X800 before I upgraded and it worked very nicely.

Metla
15-12-2006, 11:05 PM
A lot of the time the software bundle that comes with the card can be the deciding factor.

Meh.... build quality varies by large amounts and should be the primary deciding factor, Plenty of places to cut corners, cheap memory, tacky fan, crap quality control.

And as much as I prefer many Asus components the higher cost of their video cards isn't usually justified, I wouldn't necessarily pay more to take an Asus over a Leadtek.

(and I'm pretty sure the total Asus output of video cards is relatively small)

cbee
15-12-2006, 11:14 PM
And as much as I prefer many Asus components the higher cost of their video cards isn't usually justified, I wouldn't necessarily pay more to take an Asus over a Leadtek.

Yes I have to agree with you there. Price is definately the deciding factor for me and I'm usually sticking with a brand I know quite well.

PedalSlammer
16-12-2006, 12:30 PM
Thanks guys. ;) Great info. Wonder what about Alberton or PixelView?

Master_Frost
16-12-2006, 06:27 PM
As mentioned, most of the brands use reference designes so there is very little difference accept GPU coolers.

I own a Asus 7950GT with a reference design cooler, it is the biggest hunk of crap ever. The reference cooler is pitiful and I had to replace it with an after market cooler, just to stop it overheating at stock speeds. Asus are nothing special in video cards thats for sure!

XFX and EVGA are generally seen internationally as the top cards by most enthusiasts due to that fact they usually use there own cooler designs and have the largest factory overclocks.

I still own a Power Color 9800XT BTW that used a reference cooler, its about 3 years old and still going strong (in another machine)