PDA

View Full Version : New HDD on the Linux machine

jcr1
15-12-2006, 05:36 PM
I have Debian on a computer that I back up to; using Sftp Drive (it's good:thumbs: ), or Filezilla (it's good too), from my WinXP machine.
I think I should put a larger capacity hard drive in the linux machine as eventually I can see it running out of space. It already has two hard drives;a 20gb & a 30gb. What would be the best way to plonk a bigger hard drive in (say 120gb+) and still be able to retain what's on the 2 existing hard drives?
Can anyone offer some guidance here please?

Jen
15-12-2006, 05:57 PM
If you want to keep the two existing drives exactly how they are, then you can just add your new drive to a spare IDE connection, even if it has to share with a optical drive.

You could also copy across what is on the 20 gig drive to the new drive, and then remove the old 20 gig and put the new drive in its position.

jcr1
15-12-2006, 06:22 PM
Thanks Jen,
The 20 gig one is actually the original and set as master (2002 vintage compaq Presario machine). In 2004 I installed the 30 gig'r as slave.
The 20 gig drive is where I installed Debian and then I set up the 30 gig drive and it is available through /mnt/drive2.

Jen
15-12-2006, 09:14 PM
That should be fine. Just shove the new drive in as a 3rd hard drive or temporarily install it on the spare IDE connection long enough to copy across the 30 gig contents and then remove the 30 gig and put the new drive in its position.

Once all down, just tweake the fstab and make new mount points under /mnt so that the new drive is automounted on boot up.

You all OK with creating partitions, formatting and making new mount points under Linux for the new drive?

jcr1
15-12-2006, 10:10 PM
That should be fine. Just shove the new drive in as a 3rd hard drive or temporarily install it on the spare IDE connection long enough to copy across the 30 gig contents and then remove the 30 gig and put the new drive in its position.

Once all down, just tweake the fstab and make new mount points under /mnt so that the new drive is automounted on boot up.

You all OK with creating partitions, formatting and making new mount points under Linux for the new drive?

Thanks again Jen,
Yes I'm OK with that. Been there done that before; but not so often that I can do it without a reference. Anyway I've got a a couple of good links to very helpful sites in this regard and one of the good things that came out of my grappling with Gentoo last year was that it gave me an understanding of the fstab etc:thumbs:
I was originally thinking of replacing both drives with one biggie, but on reflection I think that your analysis would be better i.e. leave the 20 gig one as is and just replace the 30 gig drive; less to go wrong, lot simpler.
It's amazing how we fill drives up:eek: I remember when I bought my win95 computer in 1997, it had 2.5 gigs - impossibly huge, I thought at the time, but a couple of years down the track it was replaced with a monster of a 10 gig'r. Now, 120gigs on the winXP machine and 50 on the linux one; I think digital photos and videos have a lot to answer for here (but it's all fascinating stuff:cool: ).

Jen
15-12-2006, 11:06 PM
If you are really brave, you can move your /home and put it on the new drive. This is a good way of preserving your stuff when doing reinstalls.

kjaada
16-12-2006, 06:56 AM
If you are really brave, you can move your /home and put it on the new drive. This is a good way of preserving your stuff when doing reinstalls.
That is a beaut alternative:I run 3 O's and have a 5gb fat partition with a common backup /home on it.

jcr1
29-12-2006, 07:58 AM
Yesterday I rushed out & got myself a 160gb Seagate Barracuda drive as the 30gb drive is now full.
Now, I'm fine with replacing the 30gb and I'm not too worried about saving what's on it, because it's backup stuff from the XP machine and can be done again fairly quickly (well overnight anyway).
However, the 20gb drive is a different situation, as it has the OS on it plus a whole lot of settings etc that I wouldn't really want to lose.
Jen, your idea of moving /home onto the new drive is very compelling;would this give me an opportunity to be able to move everything onto the new drive and dispense with the 20gb one altogether? (it's nearly 5 years old now and 160gb's is probably as big as I'll need for a year or 2).
Also, can you tell me please how I could achieve this? I've googled it but it's all a bit generalised for my particular situation.

Jen
29-12-2006, 06:03 PM
So you want to put your entire OS onto the new 160 gig drive? What sort of partition setup do you currently have for Debian? Is the 160 gig drive to include a partition for your backups? You do not want to reinstall Debian onto the new drive and set up all the new larger (and separate /home) partitions at the same time?

Chilling_Silence
29-12-2006, 10:52 PM
*Chilling_Silence suggests jcr1 downloads the Insert Rescue CD from http://insert.cd and uses PartImage

;)

jcr1
30-12-2006, 06:35 PM
*Chilling_Silence suggests jcr1 downloads the Insert Rescue CD from http://insert.cd and uses PartImage

;)

Doh:waughh: Missed your post Chill. Attacked it and did a clean install with Debian. That's OK though, because I saved the stuff I wanted on the XP machine and just dragged & dropped it back into the new Debian install using sftpdrive.
Thanks for that link though, it could be useful in the future.