PDA

View Full Version : Failure to read a C.D.

F.W.J.M.
15-12-2006, 04:31 PM
Using Open Office.Org I have written a large document and copied it to a C.D.
My computer opens the C.D. perfectly. But a copy I sent to a friend who has Open Office .Org installed to enable him to open the C.D. has had no success., All he gets is a blank monitor. On return his C.D. opens O.K. for me.Can someone tell me what is the problem and how can it be corrected?

F.W.J.M.

Speedy Gonzales
15-12-2006, 04:59 PM
Was it finalised after u copied the document / whatever to it?

zqwerty
15-12-2006, 05:28 PM
Open Office has moved to a different default file extension about 2 versions ago, it is now .odt but it was .sxw, I think, maybe your friend has an old version of OO.

autechre
18-12-2006, 09:48 AM
Is your friend able to copy the file to their hard drive before trying to open it?

If that works ok, then make sure you're both using the same version of OO.

trig42
18-12-2006, 09:52 AM
Sounds like whatever you wrote the CD with did not finalize the disk or close the session, which means that you can read the disk (as the program it was written with is on your PC) but your friend cant.

F.W.J.M.
23-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Hi Folk,
The C.D. will open on another local computer which has Open Office.Org installed but for reasons yet to be determined will not open on my friend's computer which also has Open Office installed.
Consequently the problem must be linked to the set up f my friend's computer. All three downloads of Open Office are of recent vintage

Cheers,

F.W.J.M

zqwerty
23-12-2006, 09:45 PM
Check for the way the file was saved, if it is .odt then maybe the computer that will not open it has the old version of Open Office which is only capable of opening .sxw