PDA

View Full Version : Nero Express frozen during burning

Misty
15-12-2006, 02:42 PM
I am currently doing a backup by burning data to a DVD using Nero Express. All was going well until the verification part. Everything was burnt to the DVD but the verification has frozen at 20% and nothing happening. Now over an hour since verification started. I use XP SP2.

Have opened Task Manager and it shows no activity from the CPU from Nero.

Is there any way I can kick start it again to continue or do I just give up and start again. From previous experience if I tell it to stop it will not only stop the verification process but will also lose the data !
Misty :confused:

Neil McC
15-12-2006, 03:04 PM
Misty, I get that happening sometimes on verify mode with Nero. I just get impatient and cancel it in Nero. If any harm has been done it's not going to affect it any more.

Speedy Gonzales
15-12-2006, 03:06 PM
Untick verify, see if it works. I've never used verify data, and never had a prob.

Misty
15-12-2006, 03:11 PM
Untick verify, see if it works. I've never used verify data, and never had a prob.
Hi Speedy - unfortunately at this stage there is no option to untick or to tick !
The program lacks options to make changes at the burning etc stage.
Misty :illogical

Neil McC
15-12-2006, 03:14 PM
Also Speedy/Misty I use NeroSpeed to check cd's and DVD's regarding quality burns, then stick with what tests ok.
http://www.cdspeed2000.com/

Misty
15-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Also Speedy/Misty I use NeroSpeed to check cd's and DVD's regarding quality burns, then stick with what tests ok.
http://www.cdspeed2000.com/
So, Neil, have had a quick look. Does this mean you are checking everything is okay separately after the burn process has been completed ? -- ie it takes away the type of danger which happens when the verification process freezes ?
Misty

Neil McC
15-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Misty, on the NeroSpeed panel I usually, for a quick check that the data on the disc is ok,select scandisc with the drive selected above that,start ,and watch to see if there are any bad/damaged sections on the disc being scanned.And my DVD drive seems to find less damaged sections than the cd writer one does!!Must read the disc better. Yes, I check the disc after burning,whether it has been verified or nor.But this is usually for music cd's, the one's you can't......again! (Burnt as slow as I can.)
And the brand that shows the fewest damaged sections in all my scans is the brand I stick with.(Sony,Verbatim) I check the odd data one.

FoxyMX
15-12-2006, 05:14 PM
Hi Misty,

I don't think I have had this problem before and I use the verification so I'm wondering whether you do have a corrupt file somewhere there. The other possibility is that you have copied a file that is in use but usually Nero just says the verification has failed, it doesn't just stall.

Try burning the disc without verification then use CDCheck (http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=579) to verify the disc afterwards and see what happens.

Misty
15-12-2006, 05:39 PM
Hi Misty,
Try burning the disc without verification then use CDCheck (http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=579) to verify the disc afterwards and see what happens.
Hi Foxy
Will do.
thanks
Misty

PS - I am using a Verbatim disc (so Neil will be pleased !). Funny thing is have just been out for one hour plus and have come back to find it is now showing 21%. Looking at the "mem usage" in Task Manager it is increasing -- is that significant ? :confused:

Misty
15-12-2006, 10:14 PM
Somewhere not too long before 7 hrs 19 mins had elapsed the total verified went to 22%. Now after 8 hrs 38 mins it is showing 23%. At this rate even if I leave on overnight it will not be finished by morning.

Also have got a message the the Virtual Memory is too low and the virtual memory paging file is being increased. Seems that there is probably a connection ??
Misty

SurferJoe46
16-12-2006, 07:25 AM
How much RAM, virtual or otherwise do you have?

Remember that XP uses a lot of RAM to just keep itself lit and running.

BTW: What are your defrag times like? Long too? ......Hmmmm....

Misty
16-12-2006, 02:35 PM
How much RAM, virtual or otherwise do you have?

Remember that XP uses a lot of RAM to just keep itself lit and running.

BTW: What are your defrag times like? Long too? ......Hmmmm....
Hi S.J.
Virtual memory - I think that I find out this by going into Task Manager but all I can see there is "kernel memory", is that the same ? If so then it is 64 MB.
Installed Memory - is 512MB of RAM

defrag times - every time I ask whether a defrag needed it tells me that not needed. My D Drive certainly seems okay, mostly contiguous by far. Surprised that am told my C Drive does not need defraging as it is pretty split up. Also in one edition of the PC World (an old one) the writer said that defrags now considered a waste of time !

SurferJoe46
16-12-2006, 07:08 PM
I get that same answer too..that a defrag isn't necessary...but I do it anyway.....at least once a month and nothing's been messed up by that process yet.

You gotta know by now that I have quite a few 200 gig hdds with all sorts of vids and music etc on them, and I defrag them all.

The root drive where the OPSYS is, is usually the most bollexed of them all, and I therefor set aside another 10gig hdd just for spooling info and converting video files etc.

I don't really see what the problem with your RAM and VM is, it looks ok to me...so I have to suggest a run of CCleaner and pay attention to removing all your Prefecth files too...it's in the settings..... run all your anti-stuff in Safe Mode and defrag that way too....BTW: why don't you try turning off the System Restore b4 you do all that too...OK?

System Restore is a haven for nasties and baddies to hide and re-infect.

Not saying you (or the puter, anyway) are infected, but that performance is really bad....slow by any other name.....

You DON'T have Nortons/Symantec/McAfee...do you?

There's always the possiblilty that you've got some bad RAM too....just another happy thought!!! :D Hope there's some other ideas..but I'd do the foregoing as a safety measure anyway...and that'll help with a deeper idea what's happening.

Just a quick note here:

RAM is a limited resource, whereas virtual memory is, for most practical purposes, unlimited. There can be a large number of processes each with its own 2 GB of private virtual address space. When the memory in use by all the existing processes exceeds the amount of RAM available, the operating system will move pages (4 KB pieces) of one or more virtual address spaces to the computer’s hard disk, thus freeing that RAM frame for other uses. In Windows systems, these “paged out” pages are stored in one or more files called pagefile.sys in the root of a partition. There can be one such file in each disk partition. The location and size of the page file is configured in SystemProperties, Advanced, Performance (click the Settings button).

Misty
22-12-2006, 02:51 PM
Hi Misty,
Hi Foxy
I must be doing something wrong in using CDCheck. :dogeye:
I burnt a CD using Nero Express without verification. The CD seems fine and I started up CDCheck and chose "Check" (which has automatic detection of Hash files as default). It was checking for 28 mins and told me that there was 648 mins left to go (and that total still increasing !?). It told me for a number of files that

Data error (cyclic redundancy check) (Code 23).

I got rid of most of the suspect files -- which related to Alyson Gofton's cooking ( very shady :rolleyes: ). Then I burnt a fresh CD. However that time after 20 mins I was told that 3217 kB had been checked and that there remained 2,911,326 kB to check !! :confused:

When I looked at one of the files in the second CD that was supposedly a Code 23 error it was fine. An old simple Word file it opened fine from the CD.

Perhaps I should not be using the default in CDCheck but when I try to not have automatic detection of Hash files as the choice it does not let me choose that.
Misty :help:

Misty
22-12-2006, 03:03 PM
I don't really see what the problem with your RAM and VM is, it looks ok to me...so I have to suggest a run of CCleaner and pay attention to removing all your Prefecth files too...it's in the settings..... run all your anti-stuff in Safe Mode and defrag that way too....BTW: why don't you try turning off the System Restore b4 you do all that too...OK?
Hi S.J.
I run CCleaner regularly but not with Prefetch ticked -- so now have done that.

System Restore is a haven for nasties and baddies to hide and re-infect.

Have not done that yet but must do so soon (busy time of year !). However I have Nod32 and have run checks with that -- as well as running Spybot, AdAware and SpyWare Blaster. So don't think that likely but will give a try.

Not saying you (or the puter, anyway) are infected, but that performance is really bad....slow by any other name.....
:dogeye:

You DON'T have Nortons/Symantec/McAfee...do you? No, No , No !

There's always the possiblilty that you've got some bad RAM too....just another happy thought!!! :D Hope there's some other ideas..but I'd do the foregoing as a safety measure anyway...and that'll help with a deeper idea what's happening.

Just a quick note here:

RAM is a limited resource, whereas virtual memory is, for most practical purposes, unlimited. There can be a large number of processes each with its own 2 GB of private virtual address space. When the memory in use by all the existing processes exceeds the amount of RAM available, the operating system will move pages (4 KB pieces) of one or more virtual address spaces to the computer’s hard disk, thus freeing that RAM frame for other uses. In Windows systems, these “paged out” pages are stored in one or more files called pagefile.sys in the root of a partition. There can be one such file in each disk partition. The location and size of the page file is configured in SystemProperties, Advanced, Performance (click the Settings button). Thanks, great learning for me !
Misty :thumbs:

FoxyMX
22-12-2006, 04:12 PM
Hi Misty,

Oh dear, that is a bit beyond my experience and expertise with CD Check as I haven't come across that before. I did find this, however:

23 (win32) Data error (cyclic redundancy check) This means that device built-in error detection procedures established that data was not read correctly. This usually means that data is damaged and could not be repaired successfully..

From that and your problems with Nero verifying the disc it seems to me that you have a corrupted file or data somewhere which is causing the problems. Why CDCheck isn't informing you which file is the culprit I do not know as it tells me when I have one.

All I can suggest now is to use CDCheck to check the data on your hard drive that you are trying to back up and see what happens. Try doing a small number of files (say 100MB) at a time rather than the whole lot at once.

Misty
22-12-2006, 06:42 PM
Hi Misty,
All I can suggest now is to use CDCheck to check the data on your hard drive that you are trying to back up and see what happens. Try doing a small number of files (say 100MB) at a time rather than the whole lot at once.
Hi Foxy
I have done as you have suggested. The problem seems to come down to errors in two files -

C:\Documents and Settings\Administration User\Local Settings\Application data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat

and the same ended
Usr.dat.LOG
On doing a Google search one subscriber to a different forum says

This problem can occur because temporary registry entries that contain printer information are not deleted when a user logs off. These undeleted registry entries accumulate until the default registry hive file exceeds the registry size limit.
What do you think please Foxy ??

FoxyMX
22-12-2006, 07:40 PM
Those two files appear to be system files constantly in use which would be why you are having difficulty in backing them up.

I'm not sure why you would want to back them up, unless you are just backing up your entire Documents and Settings folder, but my suggestion would be to exclude them. Hopefully that will solve your problem.

SurferJoe46
22-12-2006, 09:10 PM
Misty...... your: "Also in one edition of the PC World (an old one) the writer said that defrags now considered a waste of time !
Misty "

Uh huh! And they usta think the world was flat too. I never go without d/f for more than a month at a time on all my drives...but that's why I am working on a Virtual Storage or rack-mounted drive system of some sort for all my good files that I don't feel will get messed with and need a d/f.

But I have to get them outta the main tower first.

Misty
01-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Hi Misty,

Those two files appear to be system files constantly in use which would be why you are having difficulty in backing them up.

I'm not sure why you would want to back them up, unless you are just backing up your entire Documents and Settings folder, but my suggestion would be to exclude them. Hopefully that will solve your problem.
Hi Foxy
Now realise that I was getting carried away in checking the full Documents and Settings on the hard drive as only my Firefox profile had been actually backup up. Sorry for wasting your time in that way Foxy :blush:

Anyway I have now worked out that the problem was the DVD's I was using. It struck me that I had already had a problem with the batch of Verbatim discs in use. Three in a row had problems. I therefore tried a cheaper "NC" brand DVD that I had sculling around and it worked fine and even verified. The first time I realised there was a problem with the Verbatim DVD's was when trying to make up a boot disc for Acronis True Image and the Verbatim DVD failed but the "NC" brand one was okay. Now I have at least two failures with Verbatim DVD's with copying using Nero Express. I have thrown out the last one in the batch without even trying ---- not worth the risk !!

Verbatim are a very good brand so I have now bought another batch of ten. However it does go to show that nothing's perfect.

Sorry for delay in responding -- may have something to do with my having two very unexpected heart attacks since last posting. Came out of hospital after angioplasty on Tuesday ;)

Many thanks for your responses Foxy and SJ. Even though the solution turned out very different I have definitely learned other things in the process.
I treasure your comments.
Misty :thumbs:

FoxyMX
01-03-2007, 12:07 PM
Glad to hear of your success Misty. Thanks for providing feedback on what the solution was. :)

I have used Verbatim CD-R discs with no problems in the past but have not tried the DVD discs. They have had good reports here though so like you say, it must have been a bad batch.

Very sorry to hear of your ill-health. Hopefully that is all behind you now and that you will be back to your normal self in no time. :cool:

Neil McC
01-03-2007, 12:39 PM
Trust you're feeling a bit better now Misty! Lovely things,hearts.
Re the Verbatim discs. I bought a 50 pack of plain top cd'r's as opposed to my usual able-to-be-printed-on ones. Took the pack back to NL as the first 5 I used and checked showed up with damaged segments.The white topped ones I have had no trouble with!
Have had no trouble with their DVD's so far, but mainly use Sony DVD+R's.
Great fun eh! I think the drive has a bit to do with the best burns you get too.

SurferJoe46
01-03-2007, 03:00 PM
I guess it's a good thing to fall back on the old mechanic's adage: "When one hears hoof beats, don't expect Zebras".

Which means, Keep It Simple, Stupid.

It seems that sometimes we get all lathered up on some highly technical problem and all along it was something else like

Remove Floppy From Drive And Hit Any Key To Re-boot

or

Consider Using More Reliable Media To Save Files

with egg on my face.............

Sincerly, SJ