PDA

View Full Version : Unable to access Gmail

Renmoo
14-12-2006, 11:36 PM
Dear all. A friend of mine is having difficulty with accessing her Gmail account. Whenever she signs in, she sees this jumble of codes instead of "Loading..." (it never appeared):

x��Vmo�6��_q��^m�I�l�LA�4t�<� 4u�hK�JR�� �}GI���|������sw�3�]YL�I�<���ܹj�_k�f��*7�=V�h�X�p�F��D΍E����
�IW��S�e1�7��j
�\'j��B� f,�%_�e|�1}��(d�d�6�G@�phw��ʫ���;�Ո;]�ٖ =�X��k2� b�8���9��[ad�����k�VQ�S^V��%�����1��0}%$�<�z+�n��dԾO@���Jw�IF���
d�H^L��k�W����9 *>/0 �@� d����i�-B� =�����<�n� ��

Changing the language in her browsers does not help at all. Googling the above codes yielded nothing. She has also tried clearing browser's history. Could this be due to the presence of malware?

Cheers :)

Erayd
15-12-2006, 12:23 AM
That looks like the browser is trying to load a binary file as text - possibly due to incorrect headers. Does this happen in all browsers? Might also be worth taking a look at the hosts file, as I doubt the problem is with GMail.

When you say "clearing browser's history" do you mean clearing the cache, or clearing the browsing history - they are two very different things. If you haven't already done it, clear the browser cache.

zqwerty
15-12-2006, 12:49 AM
Gmail is working ok.

The_End_Of_Reality
15-12-2006, 06:26 AM
GMail was having server problems earlier, so that could be a part of it.

Greg
15-12-2006, 11:39 AM
What browser?

Renmoo
15-12-2006, 11:41 AM
That looks like the browser is trying to load a binary file as text - possibly due to incorrect headers. Does this happen in all browsers? Might also be worth taking a look at the hosts file, as I doubt the problem is with GMail.

When you say "clearing browser's history" do you mean clearing the cache, or clearing the browsing history - they are two very different things. If you haven't already done it, clear the browser cache.
Heya Bletch. Yeap, that problem applies to both Firefox and Internet Explorer.

I was refering to "clearing browser's history" under the "Advanced" tab of Options in Firefox.

Anymore suggestions?

pcuser42
15-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Gmail is fine for me.

Renmoo
15-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Gmail is working ok.

Gmail is fine for me.
The problem does not lie within Gmail, I am pretty sure on that; even I could access her e-mail account on my computer.

***Still thinking***

zqwerty
15-12-2006, 09:25 PM
Fairly sure that Gmail is Java based, so you could try either downloading the latest Sun Java runtime ver 6 or before that delete the Java temp files.

Renmoo
15-12-2006, 09:56 PM
Fairly sure that Gmail is Java based, so you could try either downloading the latest Sun Java runtime ver 6 or before that delete the Java temp files.
I.... strongly doubt that Gmail is Java-based. It relies on mainly HTML and Javascript in order for it to function.

Thanks for the suggestion though :)

zqwerty
16-12-2006, 01:31 AM
Ok sorry if I misled you, when I disable Java and, yes Javascript, using NoScript extension, which are my default settings on Firefox, if I forget to reset before opening Gmail I get the sort of thing that you are talking about and sometimes Gmail defaults to html with messages saying that is what it is going to do.

pcuser42
16-12-2006, 08:37 AM
Gmail uses Ajax. ;)

Renmoo
16-12-2006, 09:31 AM
Ok sorry if I misled you, when I disable Java and, yes Javascript, using NoScript extension, which are my default settings on Firefox, if I forget to reset before opening Gmail I get the sort of thing that you are talking about and sometimes Gmail defaults to html with messages saying that is what it is going to do.
Oh! So you are saying that the problem could be due to the inactivation of javascript in both browsers?

zqwerty
16-12-2006, 09:26 PM
Proxomitron on default settings also stops Gmail from working correctly, I bypass it whenever I look at my Gmail.

Renmoo
19-12-2006, 08:09 PM
She has checked through everything; javascript enabled, history, cache and any personal information have been cleared. Guess I will tell her to try the last resort - i.e. reinstall Firefox.

zqwerty
19-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Does she have the CustomizeGoogle0.55 extension, I think mis-setting this can cause problems.

Renmoo
19-12-2006, 08:31 PM
Does she have the CustomizeGoogle0.55 extension, I think mis-setting this can cause problems.
No idea whether she has that extension installed. I will check with her when she comes online. Is there any other suggestions besides that?

Renmoo
19-12-2006, 09:57 PM
No whatsoever extensions have been installed in her Firefox.

zqwerty
19-12-2006, 11:16 PM
Since both browsers don't work, something I forgot when I made my last post, I suggest that you have a look in the Hosts folder, you can use Spybot to do that. Probably the safest way rather than finding the folder with Explorer.

Open Spybot/Tools/Hosts, see if there is anything that relates to Google.

Oh, by the way,

Correction: "None whatsoever extensions etc" still cumbersome but better.

I would say: "Absolutely no extensions etc"

Congratulations on that cool fix in the other thread, nobody but you got that.

\w/

Renmoo
25-12-2006, 06:34 PM
Hi zqwerty (I just love typing your name :P ). It turns out that the central server of her computer system is at fault as it is somehow configured by the IT-technician to block gmail.com from being accessed.

Oh, thanks for the correction and compliment :D

P.S. Merry Xmas to you, zqwerty

zqwerty
25-12-2006, 07:40 PM
You are the only person who has "got" why I have that user name in 10 years of using it all over the world. From when I was learning how to type, so something I didn't have to think about. Z and then the next 6 keys after Tab. I sometimes use "azqwerty" as well, get it?, a to z qwerty, covers everything. hehe. I would like to use Alpha to Omega Qwerty.

Do you know where July and August come from in our Gregorian Calendar given that September should be the 7th month, October the 8th, November the 9th and December the 10th.

Renmoo
25-12-2006, 10:06 PM
Yeap, I am aware of the "QWERTY" keys on the top-left of the keyboard; hence it is sometimes referred to as the qwerty keyboard. :D

Laura
25-12-2006, 11:48 PM
You are the only person who has "got" why I have that user name in 10 years of using it all over the world. From when I was learning how to type, so something I didn't have to think about. Z and then the next 6 keys after Tab. I sometimes use "azqwerty" as well, get it?, a to z qwerty, covers everything. hehe. I would like to use Alpha to Omega Qwerty.

Do you know where July and August come from in our Gregorian Calendar given that September should be the 7th month, October the 8th, November the 9th and December the 10th.

I was taught at school ( I think ) that the extra 2 months (July named after Roman Julius Caesar & August after Augustus Caesar ) were added later - hence it became the Julian calendar.
But much too full of Christmas food to check that out tonight..

zqwerty
26-12-2006, 12:05 AM
Well, go to the top of the class Laura, I knew that you would probably know that, the question was really for James. But I jest, good memory, Happy Christmas to you.

Here is another question: Where does the word "POSH" by some reports come from? Disputed origins.

R2x1
26-12-2006, 12:08 AM
Like lgo,rreturn?

Renmoo
26-12-2006, 09:28 AM
I have never taken up the subject classical studies in college, zqwerty :o

zqwerty
26-12-2006, 11:18 AM
Aaaaaah, well I thought that it is more like general knowledge that one picks up as one goes through life and I thought you might find it amusing.