PDA

View Full Version : I need a second set of eyes...what am I doing wrong??

Somfking
14-12-2006, 08:53 PM
So we have time warner cable built into the wall. We run a cable directly into the computer and it works great.

Now, I tried running the ethernet cable to the Linksys router (802.11b, BEFW11S4 Ver 4). Then I run another ethernet cable from the first port and run it directly into my computer. It will work for about 20 minutes and It drops the connection and I have to reset the router. I also have tried jsut using the wi-fi and It again works for 20 minutes and drops the connection.

anyone see anything I can be doing wrong? does it matter I run the cable directl into the router and it is not connected directly to a computer?? Please let me know what you think it can be and if you think it is a defective router.

Thank you and Happy Holidays!!!

Erayd
15-12-2006, 12:20 AM
This sounds like a stability problem with the router. Make sure it's not overheating, and check that it has the latest (stable) firmware. Failing that, I'd RMA it - no point persevering with a router that doesn't do the job.

Somfking
15-12-2006, 07:06 PM
This sounds like a stability problem with the router. Make sure it's not overheating, and check that it has the latest (stable) firmware. Failing that, I'd RMA it - no point persevering with a router that doesn't do the job.

Yeah I think it is the router too. It doesnt seem to over heat. I cant RMA it since it is over a year old.

How do I know if if is the latest firmware??

Trev
15-12-2006, 07:28 PM
Go here and read manual. You have to type in an ip address in the address bar of your browser to enter your router settings and then search settings for firmware number.
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=page%3D2%26cid%3D1115416835852%26c%3DL_ Content_C1&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&SubmittedElement=Linksys%2FFormSubmit%2FProductDow nloadSearch&sp_prodsku=1115416826220

Trevor :)

Somfking
15-12-2006, 07:46 PM
I dont have the router hooked up directly to a computer. Does it constantly have to be hooked into one? I have the internet cable run to the router where it says internet and it works but only for 20 minutes.

dchip
15-12-2006, 11:06 PM
When you've read the manual or at least the quick start guide you'll see what you need to do.

Start with the basics before trying anything else.

Check your cables and connections.

You should have the coaxle cable from the wall screwed into the back of the modem and then an ethernet cabel from the modem to the port marked "Internet" on the router.

Computers plug into the router via ethernet cable on the ports marked 1 through 4 or however many yours has.

After plugging your first pc into the router, fire it up and configure the ethernet card for auto dns, save settings and exit. (possibly reboot)

Once you've configured the card you can open the browser and type in the address of the router (http://192.168.1.1 or such) and you'll get a login dialoge.

Type in admin as the user and "whateveryoudecide" as the password or possibly even no password (can't remember off the top of my head) and you'll be presented with the Control Panel of the router.

In here you'll need to supply the connection details:

Ip address - (the one your isp gave you)
sub mask - 255.255.255.0
First DNS server - (that's the machine on your isp that finds the web for ya)
Second DNS server - (In case the first one's busy)
Gateway IP - (which becomes the access point for the internet for your pc's)

So once you've set the router up any time you add a pc just plug it in and set the ethernet to auto-dns.

If all of the above checks out but your still having trouble we can proceed from there.